Need help understanding your bill?
autismdefensedotcom's profile

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

Friday, January 20th, 2012 7:24 AM

Smart phone data??

I understand you have to have data on a smart phone.  But that was september of 2009 I read somewhere when they started requiring it.  I added data block on my regular non smart phone yesterday.  But then I just realized in my control pannel it says valued customer since 11/15/2008.  So does this mean I can have no data if i get  new smart phone.  Or did I have to a smart phone and data block back then to be gradfathered and its too late now.  Or is simply being singed up before data was required good enough.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@autismdefensedotcom wrote:

I'm not asking about unlimited data...  I'm asking if I can be grandfathered in for a block.  In other words buy a new phne like HP vear and not  have to pay for any data at all.  I understand I have to have data.  But since my sign up date is before they started requiring data maybe I can avoid it.  Or did the block have to be added then and it is too late now. 

The no data plan on smartphone device was grandfathered, when the ability was removed the pan was tied to the device, as long as you kept the same exact device the grandfathered status was retained, the minute you removed the device that it was attached to the grandfathered status was removed from your account and you where required to add a data plan to any new smartphone.

To put it simply - Yes you are required to add a data plan to any smartphone device.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

if u have a smartphone before and u have the data unlimited for smartphone u can keep it.. but if changed your device to a non smartphone and u put a data block on ur number the unlimited smartphone data plan cant be added to ur account.. u need to pick on the current data plans..

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

12 years ago

I'm not asking about unlimited data...  I'm asking if I can be grandfathered in for a block.  In other words buy a new phne like HP vear and not  have to pay for any data at all.  I understand I have to have data.  But since my sign up date is before they started requiring data maybe I can avoid it.  Or did the block have to be added then and it is too late now. 

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

if ur planning to get a smartphone ur already required to get a data plan..

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

12 years ago

You are required.  But people who got smart phones before they started rquiring data are grandfathered in and don't have to have data.

Mentor

• 

40 Messages

12 years ago

the ruling is if you change ur handset to a smartphone ur already required to have a data plan.. if uve been grandfathered to a feature that 's allowing you t use a smartphone w/ out a data plan u can still keep that.. but the policy on that one is once u change ur cellphone and its a smart phone u need to have a data plan..

but as you've mentioned earlier the data block was on a non smartphone... so now if ur going to upgrade to a smartphone regradless if uve been w/ at&t before they require the data plans on smartphones.. now ur required to have..

Mentor

• 

64 Messages

12 years ago

I wasn't sure but that answers it thanks.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.