Need help understanding your bill?
Dcookie's profile

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

Sunday, March 8th, 2009 12:57 PM

Closed

School is back in session-FORMATTING MEMORY CARD???

Ok, I have a couple of questions which most of you will think are no brainers...

Question 1 is:  HOW, EXACTLY DO YOU FORMAT A MEMORY CARD???

Question 2 is:  WHAT DOES FORMATTING THE CARD ACTUALLY DO???

I've been reading a lot on here about formatting memory cards. When I bought my phone and memory card, all the rep did was pop it into my phone. Do the SanDisk memory cards COME already preformatted??? That's the brand that I have. I have never formatted mine and have NO CLUE HOW TO!!! This memory card has been in my phone for the last 14 months.

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

15 years ago

D, formatting wipes the card clean of anything stored on it. A brand new card won't need that.

As to how, it depends on where you are using it. My camera has the option in its menu. I haven't seen it (or paid any attention) to the options on the menu in my phone. If you insert it in your computer it will give you a menu with that option too.

I have only reformatted a memory twice.  And that was to clean two cards that had become corrupted in another phone (actually two phones, my previous Nokias).  As long as your card is working well for you, don't mess with it.

Don't worry about that stuff you have read.  You know we have a LOT of really knowledgable computer folks and they do a lot of stuff us regular folks don't need to be messing with. We will just mess things up.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

You can format it using your computer if you have a microsd port. If you don't, you can buy one for about 10 bucks at almost any electronics store. Once you do that, just right click the icon when it pops up on my computer, and then click format disk.

I found This.

It should be what you want to know. I think if you are accessing the info on your card, it might already be formatted though...just a thought.

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

Yeah D, like I thought, ifi you can access the info on your card, it's fine and leave it alone. If not, S is correct and you can use the link in my other post to reformat the card.

xoxoxo

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

Thanks ghostryder and smmonfee for your replies. I really thought I needed to do something. When I go to the memory card on my phone, I do have some folders there...Graphics, Games & Applications, Videos and one that I made called Downloaded Ringtones. So I suppose mine is already formatted. GEEZ, I surely DON'T want to wipe anything OUT!!! I'm glad I asked!!! Smiley Wink

Expert

• 

20.5K Messages

15 years ago

@ghostryder wrote:

Yeah D, like I thought, ifi you can access the info on your card, it's fine and leave it alone. If not, S is correct and you can use the link in my other post to reformat the card.

xoxoxo

Thanks. Yes, I'm leaving it ALONE!! But what you sent is good to know if I do ever have to wipe it clean. Talk to you guys later on tonight...going down my parent's house in a bit. Smiley Wink

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

I cannot remember the number of times I've messed up my computer, spending hours trying to put it back, from messing with something I don't have 100% knowledge of.... 😞

Professor

• 

714 Messages

15 years ago

@ghostryder wrote:
I cannot remember the number of times I've messed up my computer, spending hours trying to put it back, from messing with something I don't have 100% knowledge of.... 😞

FORMAT C:  Smiley Surprised

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

@Ron_Miami wrote:

@ghostryder wrote:

FORMAT C:  Smiley Surprised

That's about it...Smiley Sad

Professor

• 

1.5K Messages

15 years ago

@ghostryder wrote:

D:\>setup.exe

Setup Windows now? [y/n]

D:\>Y

Preparing for install....

*crash*

😉

Professor

• 

3.7K Messages

15 years ago

@millennium Archangel wrote:

@ghostryder wrote:

D:\>setup.exe

Setup Windows now? [y/n]

D:\>Y

Preparing for install....

*crash*

😉

memories. bad, bad memories:/

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.