For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
mhearn8's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 3rd, 2007 2:30 PM

Closed

Receiving incomming calls to myself

I have been noticing that I am receiving incomming calls to myself. It isn't voicemail because a voicemail shows up as a voicemail message. This is a incomming call to my own number for more than just a minute. Is there anyway for that to happen? Is there a  feature or a way for another caller to change there number to mine or something? Thanks

Tutor

• 

1 Message

16 years ago

I get these same types of calls.  Does anyone know what this is?  On the billing statement is shows up as:
CALL TO:  Incoming
NUMBER CALLED:  (my own number)

It's not a voicemail call, if it were voicemail it would show up as vmail under "call to"...& some of these calls are 10 - 15 minutes each.

Professor

• 

517 Messages

16 years ago

Sometimes calls from private #'s or blocked #'s will show on your statement this way.

Scholar

• 

120 Messages

16 years ago

Is it possible your phone is dialing itself when you put it in the holster? I had a problem where the Q key was inadvertently brushing against the side of the holster as I was sliding it in...thus triggering a Speed Dial.

Teacher

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

Dream Rider is correct. I had the same question and finally found someone in billing who told me the same thing - if the number is private or blocked your bill reflects your number. Additionally, there is some issue with calls that are passed from other providers towers your number will be listed as the incoming number. I'm not sure how that works but that's what billing told me. I've been a customer since '91 (same 'provider/same number' BS -> Cellone -> Cingular -> AT&T) and only recently has someone been able to explain this.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

16 years ago

Guys I figured it out its call forwarding. if you put someone elses number in for call forwarding and then call your own number from your own phone instead of going to voice mail it will go to the forwarded number you or whoever put in. so on the bill it will look like you called yourself for 20min but instead your call was forwarded to another number. Hey cheaters I got you figured out! So for example say your girlfriend didn't want you knowing she was calling another guy. She would put his number in her phone in the call forwarding area. Then call her own number and instead of going to her voice mail it will go to his number. And if you check the phone log the only thing you would see is a phone conversation to herself. And this is to Guys and Girls sorry not pointing anyone out.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

HOG-WASH!!!  Don't be mistaken, and no matter whomever says or whatever is said about "self-calling", it isn't possible, not via "forwarding", "private", "blocked" calls or otherwise, for your number to be represented in any other way, not even if you're calling your voicemail.  My phone bill is plagued with such self-calling lists, and I don't know about you, but I do not receive private calls as often as self calls appear on my phone, nor do I answer private calls, not to mention speak for hours on them.  What you're being told by customer service is no surprise, and of course they're saying anything to appease you, because there is no other reason for them, than to reduce your minutes as much as possible in order to utilize your free minutes, to generate usage charges, which ups the profit, and encourage you to buy a different calling plan with more minutes.

Look at the calls received or made during or after these "self-calls", and see how they conflict.  You must download an Excel version of your entire bill each month, sort it by the number column so that all "self-calls" appear together, separate these calls each month, and calculate how many minutes you loose each month, and keep this for your records.  Each month, send a copy of this itemization of "self-calls" to phone company's president, the Federal Communicaitons Commission, Better Business Bureau, and your congressman.

When all else fails, and they will, give up your mobile phone unless your wealthy enough where being ripped off doesn't matter. 

Professor

• 

517 Messages

16 years ago

I have, in the past setup my phone to dial it's number to access voice mail, and it shows on my bill as calls to myself with the notation that it is voice mail.

BTRUIIU wrote:
HOG-WASH!!!  Don't be mistaken, and no matter whomever says or whatever is said about "self-calling", it isn't possible, not via "forwarding", "private", "blocked" calls or otherwise, for your number to be represented in any other way, not even if you're calling your voicemail.  My phone bill is plagued with such self-calling lists, and I don't know about you, but I do not receive private calls as often as self calls appear on my phone, nor do I answer private calls, not to mention speak for hours on them.  What you're being told by customer service is no surprise, and of course they're saying anything to appease you, because there is no other reason for them, than to reduce your minutes as much as possible in order to utilize your free minutes, to generate usage charges, which ups the profit, and encourage you to buy a different calling plan with more minutes.

Look at the calls received or made during or after these "self-calls", and see how they conflict.  You must download an Excel version of your entire bill each month, sort it by the number column so that all "self-calls" appear together, separate these calls each month, and calculate how many minutes you loose each month, and keep this for your records.  Each month, send a copy of this itemization of "self-calls" to phone company's president, the Federal Communicaitons Commission, Better Business Bureau, and your congressman.

When all else fails, and they will, give up your mobile phone unless your wealthy enough where being ripped off doesn't matter. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Your number might be seen in this case, Drearm Rider, but with the easy message access, how often do you take the long way into your voicemail, and how often are you connected to voicemail for 10, 20, 30, 40 or more minutes at a time?  Dream Rider, you're an employee of this or some other mobile company, aren't you!?   🙂

Professor

• 

517 Messages

16 years ago

No just a customer that learned about cell phones the hard way when I "washed" my cell phone by mistake!! Smiley Sad

Since then I have learned that I can buy a go phone and use my SIM without buying a phone at full retail. No one offered me that option at the Corp. stores or through CS.

My contract has been up for a while now and I buy my phones on craigslist or ebay. I come here and try to help because CS often gives me totally useless solutions and after trying multipal PDA devices I found Blackberry devices to be the most stable.

Please don't insult me again by accusing me of working for this or other mobile companies. Smiley Very Happy

If you must insult me find a different way 'cause I enjoy a good insult Smiley Surprised

BTRUIIU wrote:
Your number might be seen in this case, Drearm Rider, but with the easy message access, how often do you take the long way into your voicemail, and how often are you connected to voicemail for 10, 20, 30, 40 or more minutes at a time?  Dream Rider, you're an employee of this or some other mobile company, aren't you!?   🙂

Message Edited by Dream Rider on 11-13-2007 10:45:14 PM

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

Dream Rider, I do apologize for accusing you of working at the company.  🙂  

A company of this kind should be able to definitively explain these kinds of nebulous billing occurrences, and they can not explain, because it is random, inconsistant and conflictual with other calls, however, strategically, it reduces customer's "anytime" minutes drastically!  I'm giving up my mobile phone forever, for this very and other reasons.  ~BTRU
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.