Need help understanding your bill?
tbesser's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 8:49 PM

Re: Cannot convert to a family plan because of different markets. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

I am hoping you can help me as well. I have spent several hours calling AT&T and researching options online. I have been with AT&T over 5 years and my husband for the same time. We are loyal customers and would like to stay with AT&T. I am on a Midwest market individual plan and my husband is on a Northwest market plan. We just got married last year and would like to have him come on my plan however we were told after several calls he has to get a new number and we have to create a new account first to them have him added to mine through relocation. Not only do we have to go through this hassle but we were told we lose the 200MB grandfathered plan and have to pay more per month. Is there anything you can do to help? We would love to just to keep this easy as I hear Verizon can allow family plans with different markets.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks everyone for the quick responses.

I sadly accept defeat.

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

so does that mean that you can't be a military family using one family plan if you live across the country from each other and have different area codes?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@satyr9 wrote:

so does that mean that you can't be a military family using one family plan if you live across the country from each other and have different area codes?

from personal expierence with employees that have spouses and kids in the military deployed though-out the country they always have the home area code and not the area code their base is in.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

11 years ago

@satyr9 wrote:

That is correct. 

wingrider is right (and I speak from personal experience here) - most military folks will keep their Home of Record thier parent's address since they tend to move around a lot. 

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

11 years ago

To tie off an earlier thread in this forum - I have confirmed my previous posts as accurate. Over this past weekend I went into a competitor store and within 10 minutes (!) my wife and I were on the same plan, had our old numbers ported over and were receiving calls on brand new iPhone 5 s. Our new monthly cost is the same as if we had been able to combine plans on AT&T (which we weren't), but it saves us $80/mo from the separate AT&T plans we were carrying before. 

One point of caution to anyone reading, though, is that your final bill from AT&T will be for the entire next month billing period without any pro-rating. Right now I am effectively paying for AT&T service for the next 20 days with no way of using it... So if you're going to switch, make sure you do it at the end of your billing cycle, not at the beginning.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

I am amazed that this problem is prominantly discussed on ATT forums, yet just yesterday an ATT rep claimed that it was an FCC restriction that prevented them from combining multiple markets on a Family Talk Plan.

Then when I asked the ATT rep what the actual FCC regulation was, he placed me on hold and disconnected the call.

Why do corporations find it ethical to lie and misrepresent in order to retain customers?  My family works for ATT (retired).

This is unacceptable.  Glad I am switching to Verizon.

Guru

• 

870 Messages

11 years ago

Right now I wish I could combine out of market numbers on a family plan.

Teacher

• 

15 Messages

11 years ago

[Solution alert!!]

Verizon can do it. When I was signing up and starting a family plan (after ditching AT&T for extremely bad customer service, ranging from lies to surprise bill hikes and all around indebatable incompetence) Verizon OFFERED me the option to keep my old area code & get the other line on the new, local area code. I declined, but it goes to show that AT&T is lying through their teeth on this one... as usual...

Ye Olde At&t.... The most worthless of telecoms...

Mentor

• 

153 Messages

11 years ago

@jamileh wrote:

@satyr9 wrote:

That is correct. 

wingrider is right (and I speak from personal experience here) - most military folks will keep their Home of Record thier parent's address since they tend to move around a lot. 

doesn't really address or help with combining two "in-law" military families on different coasts... Smiley FrustratedSmiley Sad

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

@jamileh, could you please define the marketing territories to determine if I can add my recently widowed mother-in-law to my family plan? She is area code 231 and I am 312. Thank you.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.