Need help understanding your bill?
tbesser's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Saturday, July 14th, 2012 8:49 PM

Re: Cannot convert to a family plan because of different markets. EXTREMELY DISAPPOINTED

I am hoping you can help me as well. I have spent several hours calling AT&T and researching options online. I have been with AT&T over 5 years and my husband for the same time. We are loyal customers and would like to stay with AT&T. I am on a Midwest market individual plan and my husband is on a Northwest market plan. We just got married last year and would like to have him come on my plan however we were told after several calls he has to get a new number and we have to create a new account first to them have him added to mine through relocation. Not only do we have to go through this hassle but we were told we lose the 200MB grandfathered plan and have to pay more per month. Is there anything you can do to help? We would love to just to keep this easy as I hear Verizon can allow family plans with different markets.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

In order to create a Family Plan or a Mobile Share plan, you'll need to change her phone number. 

We cannot create a combined plan with phone numbers from different markets. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

It is possible to do this, but the rep has to set you up on a different type of account.  Reach out to jamileh, a forum moderator.  

Unfortunately, you probably won't be able to keep the 200 MB data plan, as that plan is no longer offered.  Grandfathered plans can't be transferred to new accounts.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

Thanks 21stnow 🙂

@tbesser - I received and replied to your private message. Will you please take a look when you have a moment?

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

@Jamileh,

I have the same problem. I recently started a new account with AT&T (because my girlfriend was with AT&T) hoping to move her line to my account. However, I just realized that this cannot be done, probably because our lines are in different markets. When I tried to do transfer of billing responsibility, I get the message : "This account is ineligible to add these numbers"

Can you please help?

Thanks & Regards,

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I am also having this same issue.  My fiance and I want to join our accounts and move to a family plan, but are told we can't because my phone is in the Philly market and hers is in the NYC Market (note my area code is from Jersey and hers is from Seattle).  I was informed that I have 2 options.  1.  One of us will have to change our number 2. Leave AT&T and we can both port our numbers.

I've been an AT&T customer for some time now and would prefer not to leave, but I'm being told the only way to keep our numbers would be to leave and go to a competitor like Verizon.  Any help would be appreciated.

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I apologize for the inconvenience, but currently one of you would have to change your number in order to create a family plan. 

Additionally, other carriers may require a number change as well. I would encourage you to research that option before committing to a switch. 

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@rmsichel wrote:

I am also having this same issue.  My fiance and I want to join our accounts and move to a family plan, but are told we can't because my phone is in the Philly market and hers is in the NYC Market (note my area code is from Jersey and hers is from Seattle).  I was informed that I have 2 options.  1.  One of us will have to change our number 2. Leave AT&T and we can both port our numbers.

I've been an AT&T customer for some time now and would prefer not to leave, but I'm being told the only way to keep our numbers would be to leave and go to a competitor like Verizon.  Any help would be appreciated.

Is it possible for one of you to port your number to Google Voice (for a one-time fee of $20), change your number with AT&T, then link your new AT&T number to the Google Voice number?  You wouldn't have to tell people your new telephone number.  The only time you would want to give out your new number is for people who send you MMS messages.  Hopefully, that wouldn't be a large number of people.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

Good thought on Google Voice but i do text very frequently so that would be a problem.

I spoke with verizon and they let me know that they would port both of our numbers onto a family plan. AT&T needs to get their act together on this one or i'm left with no choice but to leave

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@rmsichel wrote:

Good thought on Google Voice but i do text very frequently so that would be a problem.

I spoke with verizon and they let me know that they would port both of our numbers onto a family plan. AT&T needs to get their act together on this one or i'm left with no choice but to leave

double, triple check that, had an employee on the west coast what to add his daughter and her husband to her family plan, they live in texas and she wanted them to have a texas local exchange, they would not do it for her - this is through verizon and aboout 8 months ago

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

12 years ago

@rmsichel wrote:

Regular text messages would be no problem, but picture messages don't go through on Google Voice.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.