For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
tarnation2002's profile

Tutor

• 

1 Message

Thursday, December 12th, 2013 10:17 PM

Closed

Proration of Final Bill

I recently transfered to Verizon from AT&T due to AT&T's inferior coverage in my area (otherwise happy with service but just couldn't deal with frequent dropped calls from my home/office).  I fulfilled my contract earlier this year.  I called billing and was told they can't prorate the final partial month. When I signed up I paid for a prorated month of service and don't understand why AT&T can't prorate the last month of service.  Is there a supervisor I can talk with - not getting anywhere with customer service agent!

Tutor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

So AT&T prorates the first bill, but does not prorate the final bill.  How ridiculous is that to have your "customers" screwed due to an arbitrary billing cycle that you selected.  It is obviously a one way street and only an attempt to "stick it to the little guy" on the way out.  We were loyal customers of yours for over 10 years and only switched due to the poor cellular service within our house and your inability to correct it.  I now see that the problem is much deeper than that. Why should anyone pay for a service they never received?  I say that's the definition of unfair and now understand why there are so many complaints filed. I would never charge my customers for services they never received, but I guess I run my business in an honorable fashion.

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

9 years ago

Verizon does the same thing. On my way out the door, I timed my port over to ATT for two days before the cycle ended.

I do agree that if you don't know about this little trick, you could end up getting royally screwed. But the fact is, they ALL do it. So why get ticked off at ATT?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

So much for good customer relationship.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth with AT&T.  I would never use AT&T again or recommend to anyone in my families or friends.

I only used 4 days of their service and they charged me for the full amount on my final bill.

No prorate, what a rip off!

So long AT&T and never again!

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Had the same bad experience!

Before porting the number, I called the customer rep and they told me the last bill would be pro-rated. That did not happen. I called them up again and they told me that wasn't the last bill... so I waited for a few days...finally, having not received any new bill, I called them up and they told me that the bill I received earlier was the last bill and that they don't pro-rate

feeling angry on being mislead and have to pay for whole month for cancelling the service on the first day of the billing cycle!

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@newjersey1

@theluckystarr

None of the carriers prorate final bills.   Check each carriers cancelation or month to month policy.  

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

theluckystarr wrote:

So much for good customer relationship.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth with AT&T.  I would never use AT&T again or recommend to anyone in my families or friends.

I only used 4 days of their service and they charged me for the full amount on my final bill.

An update on my billing issue, I requested to talk to the Manager and explained my situation to her.  She was very nice and credited my account to my satifaction.  My recommendation is to request to speak to a manager to resove your billing issue.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

8 years ago

@theluckystarr wrote:

@theluckystarr wrote:

An update on my billing issue, I requested to talk to the Manager and explained my situation to her.  She was very nice and credited my account to my satifaction.  My recommendation is to request to speak to a manager to resove your billing issue.

So you finally got credit from ATT, and still think they are terrible company?  It's not like they had anything to gain since you left.

As I wrote before NONE OF THE CARRIERS prorate final bills.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

8 years ago

The manager who gave me the credit was trying to maintain some kind of customer relationship.

Things has to be fair.  I don't want to pay for the service that I did not use.  Because of that, I will not write them off for good.  

If they improve their network coverage and have a better rate plan in the future.  I will not oppose the idea going back to AT&T.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Hi,

I got the same problems like you guys. The bottom line is if we can't get the pro rated, don't tell us that we will get it or guide us the wrong way before we are closing our account. Also, they have told us the same thing to wait until at the end of the month. I opened the bill today after waiting since Dec 17 and i have contacted them many times before i closed the account. Finally, i chose to close my account because of their representatives seem really bad. Can you imaging that they are charging us with the late fee for $5? How much will they get if they have more than a million customers? Something is wrong. Please do not compare with the other carriers. My point is they have many chances to mention but they don't. When we signed the contact, usually it will be for 2 years not one month or three months or a year so who will remember and I believe we all check with them before we close or switch the service. Please file the complaint at FTC http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/ ....so we all will have a case. I really want to see how much they have make from the innocent people like us and threaten us about the credit score with their regulation rules from our contract. By the way, the manager has checked my account and she said she only saw the record has shown that i only contacted them since Sep and Oct. In fact, i had contacted the day before i closed the account, the closing day and before the end of December for the final bills to pay and i got the same answer like everyone that they will prorate my bill so just wait until the end of the month!

• 

25.7K Messages

8 years ago

Yes! Everyone stay away from att and their malicious practices. I am going through a similar situation as we speak. When you come to a forum like this you realize how many hard working people they screw over. All you can do is spread the word.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.