Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Dec 12, 2013
2:17:14 PM
View profile
Proration of Final Bill
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:47:23 AM

I recently transfered to Verizon from AT&T due to AT&T's inferior coverage in my area (otherwise happy with service but just couldn't deal with frequent dropped calls from my home/office).  I fulfilled my contract earlier this year.  I called billing and was told they can't prorate the final partial month. When I signed up I paid for a prorated month of service and don't understand why AT&T can't prorate the last month of service.  Is there a supervisor I can talk with - not getting anywhere with customer service agent!

I recently transfered to Verizon from AT&T due to AT&T's inferior coverage in my area (otherwise happy with service but just couldn't deal with frequent dropped calls from my home/office).  I fulfilled my contract earlier this year.  I called billing and was told they can't prorate the final partial month. When I signed up I paid for a prorated month of service and don't understand why AT&T can't prorate the last month of service.  Is there a supervisor I can talk with - not getting anywhere with customer service agent!

(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 12, 2013 2:46:43 PM
(2)
Guru
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:47:43 AM

AT&T chooses not to prorate the final bill. It's in their wireless agreement. You can request a supervisor, but they are under no obligation to waive it for you. 

5.1   What Are The General Terms That Apply To All AT&T Voice Rate Plans?

You may obtain usage information by calling customer service or using one of our automated systems. Pricing/Taxes/No Proration:Prices do not include taxes, directory assistance, roaming, Universal Service Fees, and other surcharges. Final month's charges are not prorated.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement#howDoesAttCalcMyBill 

Accepted Solution

Proration of Final Bill

[ Edited ]
41 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(41)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Dec 12, 2013 2:46:43 PM
(2)
Guru
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:47:43 AM

AT&T chooses not to prorate the final bill. It's in their wireless agreement. You can request a supervisor, but they are under no obligation to waive it for you. 

You may obtain usage information by calling customer service or using one of our automated systems. Pricing/Taxes/No Proration:Prices do not include taxes, directory assistance, roaming, Universal Service Fees, and other surcharges. Final month's charges are not prorated.

http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement#howDoesAttCalcMyBill 

Re: Proration of Final Bill

[ Edited ]
2 of 42 (15,338 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 13, 2013 9:11:17 AM
(0)
Employee
Edited by ATTJulieCS on Dec 17, 2013 at 9:48:02 AM

Hey tarnation2002

First bill/last bill are different story. When someone calls to cancel, we educ to do it at the end of the billing period, because you're going to be billed for it regardless.

It's actually standard industry practice, check Verizon's T&C too, I know they do it.

To be clear, you were less than one month ahead, not more than 1 month. You typically pay for the month you're in.

-Alex

Hey tarnation2002

First bill/last bill are different story. When someone calls to cancel, we educ to do it at the end of the billing period, because you're going to be billed for it regardless.

It's actually standard industry practice, check Verizon's T&C too, I know they do it.

To be clear, you were less than one month ahead, not more than 1 month. You typically pay for the month you're in.

-Alex

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
3 of 42 (15,301 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 21, 2014 12:36:49 PM
(0)
Contributor

Alex - I understand what you are saying, but TWICE I was told that my bill would be adjusted to the dates before I ported the number.  Two different call center agents told me this exact same information - and it was documented in the caller notes.  However, I am still being billed the full amount (vs the 3 days of service) and a $5 late fee.  

I would expect customers to be able to trust the information provided by the customer service agents when asked a direct question.  Finally, I would expect AT&T to stand behind it's employees - if they make a mistake, it's a training opportunity for the COMPANY not the consumer. 

Alex - I understand what you are saying, but TWICE I was told that my bill would be adjusted to the dates before I ported the number.  Two different call center agents told me this exact same information - and it was documented in the caller notes.  However, I am still being billed the full amount (vs the 3 days of service) and a $5 late fee.  

I would expect customers to be able to trust the information provided by the customer service agents when asked a direct question.  Finally, I would expect AT&T to stand behind it's employees - if they make a mistake, it's a training opportunity for the COMPANY not the consumer. 

4 of 42 (14,297 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 20, 2014 1:42:05 PM
(1)
Contributor

Hi,

I'm having the similar problem with my account now, i have cancelled my contract on the bill generation day and they have charged me for ONE FULL MONTH. The customer representative has mis guided me stating that the charges would be pro-rated. when i tried calling hte customer care they aren't correcting my bill. Can someone suggest me how did you approach on getting this fixed ? AT&T sucks, this isn't a good customer service company.

Regards,
Jag

Hi,

I'm having the similar problem with my account now, i have cancelled my contract on the bill generation day and they have charged me for ONE FULL MONTH. The customer representative has mis guided me stating that the charges would be pro-rated. when i tried calling hte customer care they aren't correcting my bill. Can someone suggest me how did you approach on getting this fixed ? AT&T sucks, this isn't a good customer service company.

Regards,
Jag

5 of 42 (12,196 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 22, 2014 9:43:14 PM
(1)
Scholar

You need to make sure to cancel service BEFORE the bill cycles out again.  And you should know what day of the month it is.  It's that day that says "Next bill cycle date: " when you look on the website or request an update on data usage.

You need to make sure to cancel service BEFORE the bill cycles out again.  And you should know what day of the month it is.  It's that day that says "Next bill cycle date: " when you look on the website or request an update on data usage.

6 of 42 (12,084 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 2, 2015 5:32:17 PM
(0)
Contributor
I also was told the same thing and was surprised to see my final bill. I called customer service and they did not seem to know. This is definitely not good customer service! BAD!
I also was told the same thing and was surprised to see my final bill. I called customer service and they did not seem to know. This is definitely not good customer service! BAD!

7 of 42 (11,775 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 3, 2015 1:12:04 AM
(1)
Contributor

ATT totally sucks!  I was told my final bill was prorated, so I waited until my number was ported to Verizon, then called to cancel.  AGAIN I was told I would receive a final PRORATED bill!

Well, not only did the final bill arrive WITHOUT PRORATION, it included a threaet to refer to the unpaid balance to a collection agency!

I called and waited on the phone for a very long time, then was told it was settled, the bill WAS prorated.  I paid the amount ATT requested.

Now I'm STILL getting bills. Granted they show a $0 balance, but why are you still bothering me ATT?!  I will NEVER in my life return to this bull___ company or use them for any other service.

ATT totally sucks!  I was told my final bill was prorated, so I waited until my number was ported to Verizon, then called to cancel.  AGAIN I was told I would receive a final PRORATED bill!

Well, not only did the final bill arrive WITHOUT PRORATION, it included a threaet to refer to the unpaid balance to a collection agency!

I called and waited on the phone for a very long time, then was told it was settled, the bill WAS prorated.  I paid the amount ATT requested.

Now I'm STILL getting bills. Granted they show a $0 balance, but why are you still bothering me ATT?!  I will NEVER in my life return to this bull___ company or use them for any other service.

8 of 42 (11,700 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 20, 2015 8:40:54 AM
(1)
Contributor

Please AT&T, I believe it's time to improve your CCP's knowledge..before switching the carrier I called AT&T CCP to discuss on the final bill, I was told that the final bill will be send with PRORATED amount and he was the one turned off my auto payment..but what I received from AT&T is full month bill and 5$ for late fee..

anyway thank you so much for all the wonderful service that you have provided me..I have had many experience/reasons not to choose AT&T again.. thanks once again..

Please AT&T, I believe it's time to improve your CCP's knowledge..before switching the carrier I called AT&T CCP to discuss on the final bill, I was told that the final bill will be send with PRORATED amount and he was the one turned off my auto payment..but what I received from AT&T is full month bill and 5$ for late fee..

anyway thank you so much for all the wonderful service that you have provided me..I have had many experience/reasons not to choose AT&T again.. thanks once again..

9 of 42 (11,265 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2015 5:24:22 PM
(1)
Contributor

I've a similar problem. Before cancellation of my service I had spoken to customer service and he made it very clear that last bill will be prorated. Even after cancellation when I called them about my final bill, I was told to wait for the bill to get prorated and then pay the amount but I received the bill in mail for the entire month with $5 late fee. I was only 3 days into the new billing cycle when service was cancelled and they charged for the entire month and the late fee!

This is a complete lack of ignorance from customer service and severe problem with ATT customer service training. I regret for being ATT customer for many years when they treat someone cancelling the service very badly and at that time suggest us to read the fine prints when their CCP themselves don't know about those fine prints and continue to give wrong information to the customers.

This is an opportunity for ATT senior management to correct his problem and ensure that the customers leaving the company are treated with the same service as new customers.

I've a similar problem. Before cancellation of my service I had spoken to customer service and he made it very clear that last bill will be prorated. Even after cancellation when I called them about my final bill, I was told to wait for the bill to get prorated and then pay the amount but I received the bill in mail for the entire month with $5 late fee. I was only 3 days into the new billing cycle when service was cancelled and they charged for the entire month and the late fee!

This is a complete lack of ignorance from customer service and severe problem with ATT customer service training. I regret for being ATT customer for many years when they treat someone cancelling the service very badly and at that time suggest us to read the fine prints when their CCP themselves don't know about those fine prints and continue to give wrong information to the customers.

This is an opportunity for ATT senior management to correct his problem and ensure that the customers leaving the company are treated with the same service as new customers.

10 of 42 (11,106 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2015 7:07:41 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
No. None of the carriers I dealt with prorate final bills. I left Verizon 11 months ago, on the day before my last bill because I know they don't prorate.

No one would tell you any different.
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
No. None of the carriers I dealt with prorate final bills. I left Verizon 11 months ago, on the day before my last bill because I know they don't prorate.

No one would tell you any different.
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information
We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

11 of 42 (11,087 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2015 3:38:21 PM
(0)
Contributor

So AT&T prorates the first bill, but does not prorate the final bill.  How ridiculous is that to have your "customers" screwed due to an arbitrary billing cycle that you selected.  It is obviously a one way street and only an attempt to "stick it to the little guy" on the way out.  We were loyal customers of yours for over 10 years and only switched due to the poor cellular service within our house and your inability to correct it.  I now see that the problem is much deeper than that. Why should anyone pay for a service they never received?  I say that's the definition of unfair and now understand why there are so many complaints filed. I would never charge my customers for services they never received, but I guess I run my business in an honorable fashion.

So AT&T prorates the first bill, but does not prorate the final bill.  How ridiculous is that to have your "customers" screwed due to an arbitrary billing cycle that you selected.  It is obviously a one way street and only an attempt to "stick it to the little guy" on the way out.  We were loyal customers of yours for over 10 years and only switched due to the poor cellular service within our house and your inability to correct it.  I now see that the problem is much deeper than that. Why should anyone pay for a service they never received?  I say that's the definition of unfair and now understand why there are so many complaints filed. I would never charge my customers for services they never received, but I guess I run my business in an honorable fashion.

12 of 42 (10,793 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 4, 2015 4:57:46 PM
(0)
Professor

Verizon does the same thing. On my way out the door, I timed my port over to ATT for two days before the cycle ended.

I do agree that if you don't know about this little trick, you could end up getting royally screwed. But the fact is, they ALL do it. So why get ticked off at ATT?

"Customers helping customers; not always successfully"

Verizon does the same thing. On my way out the door, I timed my port over to ATT for two days before the cycle ended.

I do agree that if you don't know about this little trick, you could end up getting royally screwed. But the fact is, they ALL do it. So why get ticked off at ATT?

13 of 42 (10,772 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2015 10:21:26 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by theluckystarr on Nov 11, 2015 at 10:25:56 AM

So much for good customer relationship.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth with AT&T.  I would never use AT&T again or recommend to anyone in my families or friends.

I only used 4 days of their service and they charged me for the full amount on my final bill.

No prorate, what a rip off!

So long AT&T and never again!

So much for good customer relationship.  It leaves a bad taste in my mouth with AT&T.  I would never use AT&T again or recommend to anyone in my families or friends.

I only used 4 days of their service and they charged me for the full amount on my final bill.

[ Edited ]
14 of 42 (7,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2015 10:43:09 AM
(0)
Contributor

Had the same bad experience!

Before porting the number, I called the customer rep and they told me the last bill would be pro-rated. That did not happen. I called them up again and they told me that wasn't the last bill... so I waited for a few days...finally, having not received any new bill, I called them up and they told me that the bill I received earlier was the last bill and that they don't pro-rate

feeling angry on being mislead and have to pay for whole month for cancelling the service on the first day of the billing cycle!

Had the same bad experience!

Before porting the number, I called the customer rep and they told me the last bill would be pro-rated. That did not happen. I called them up again and they told me that wasn't the last bill... so I waited for a few days...finally, having not received any new bill, I called them up and they told me that the bill I received earlier was the last bill and that they don't pro-rate

feeling angry on being mislead and have to pay for whole month for cancelling the service on the first day of the billing cycle!

15 of 42 (7,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2015 11:05:05 AM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@newjersey1

@theluckystarr

None of the carriers prorate final bills.   Check each carriers cancelation or month to month policy.  

@newjersey1

@theluckystarr

None of the carriers prorate final bills.   Check each carriers cancelation or month to month policy.  

We are customers too. Our answers are based on experience, knowledge and reading the terms of service and are honest, but not always appreciated. Please mark the correct answer. Please do not post personal information.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

16 of 42 (7,243 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2015 6:04:37 PM
(0)
Contributor

theluckystarr wrote:

An update on my billing issue, I requested to talk to the Manager and explained my situation to her.  She was very nice and credited my account to my satifaction.  My recommendation is to request to speak to a manager to resove your billing issue.

theluckystarr wrote:

An update on my billing issue, I requested to talk to the Manager and explained my situation to her.  She was very nice and credited my account to my satifaction.  My recommendation is to request to speak to a manager to resove your billing issue.

17 of 42 (7,207 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 15, 2015 6:20:26 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

theluckystarr wrote:

theluckystarr wrote:

So you finally got credit from ATT, and still think they are terrible company?  It's not like they had anything to gain since you left.

As I wrote before NONE OF THE CARRIERS prorate final bills.

theluckystarr wrote:

theluckystarr wrote:

So you finally got credit from ATT, and still think they are terrible company?  It's not like they had anything to gain since you left.

As I wrote before NONE OF THE CARRIERS prorate final bills.

18 of 42 (7,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 16, 2015 6:18:42 PM
(0)
Contributor

The manager who gave me the credit was trying to maintain some kind of customer relationship.

Things has to be fair.  I don't want to pay for the service that I did not use.  Because of that, I will not write them off for good.  

If they improve their network coverage and have a better rate plan in the future.  I will not oppose the idea going back to AT&T.

The manager who gave me the credit was trying to maintain some kind of customer relationship.

Things has to be fair.  I don't want to pay for the service that I did not use.  Because of that, I will not write them off for good.  

If they improve their network coverage and have a better rate plan in the future.  I will not oppose the idea going back to AT&T.

19 of 42 (7,139 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 11, 2016 2:53:40 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

I got the same problems like you guys. The bottom line is if we can't get the pro rated, don't tell us that we will get it or guide us the wrong way before we are closing our account. Also, they have told us the same thing to wait until at the end of the month. I opened the bill today after waiting since Dec 17 and i have contacted them many times before i closed the account. Finally, i chose to close my account because of their representatives seem really bad. Can you imaging that they are charging us with the late fee for $5? How much will they get if they have more than a million customers? Something is wrong. Please do not compare with the other carriers. My point is they have many chances to mention but they don't. When we signed the contact, usually it will be for 2 years not one month or three months or a year so who will remember and I believe we all check with them before we close or switch the service. Please file the complaint at FTC http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/ ....so we all will have a case. I really want to see how much they have make from the innocent people like us and threaten us about the credit score with their regulation rules from our contract. By the way, the manager has checked my account and she said she only saw the record has shown that i only contacted them since Sep and Oct. In fact, i had contacted the day before i closed the account, the closing day and before the end of December for the final bills to pay and i got the same answer like everyone that they will prorate my bill so just wait until the end of the month!

Hi,

I got the same problems like you guys. The bottom line is if we can't get the pro rated, don't tell us that we will get it or guide us the wrong way before we are closing our account. Also, they have told us the same thing to wait until at the end of the month. I opened the bill today after waiting since Dec 17 and i have contacted them many times before i closed the account. Finally, i chose to close my account because of their representatives seem really bad. Can you imaging that they are charging us with the late fee for $5? How much will they get if they have more than a million customers? Something is wrong. Please do not compare with the other carriers. My point is they have many chances to mention but they don't. When we signed the contact, usually it will be for 2 years not one month or three months or a year so who will remember and I believe we all check with them before we close or switch the service. Please file the complaint at FTC http://www.consumer.ftc.gov/ ....so we all will have a case. I really want to see how much they have make from the innocent people like us and threaten us about the credit score with their regulation rules from our contract. By the way, the manager has checked my account and she said she only saw the record has shown that i only contacted them since Sep and Oct. In fact, i had contacted the day before i closed the account, the closing day and before the end of December for the final bills to pay and i got the same answer like everyone that they will prorate my bill so just wait until the end of the month!

20 of 42 (5,750 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 5:34:13 PM
(0)

Yes! Everyone stay away from att and their malicious practices. I am going through a similar situation as we speak. When you come to a forum like this you realize how many hard working people they screw over. All you can do is spread the word.

Yes! Everyone stay away from att and their malicious practices. I am going through a similar situation as we speak. When you come to a forum like this you realize how many hard working people they screw over. All you can do is spread the word.

21 of 42 (5,021 Views)
(2)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 7, 2016 6:47:45 PM
(2)
Employee

I don't understand how "no carrier prorates their final bills either" translates into thinking AT&T is the only bad guy out there somehow. 

Sprint - Monthly service charges are not refunded or prorated if service is terminated or modified before your billing cycle ends.

T-Mobile - If you terminate your Service, your termination will be effective at the end of your current billing cycle, and you will remain responsible for all fees and Charges for your Service and usage through the end of that billing cycle.

VerizonCancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.

Bad customer service is not defined as a company sticking to the terms and conditions and refusing to make an exception. This is a standard practice across the entire industry. I get that it's frustrating but for every carrier in the nation, the agreement terms are available to everyone 

I don't understand how "no carrier prorates their final bills either" translates into thinking AT&T is the only bad guy out there somehow. 

Sprint - Monthly service charges are not refunded or prorated if service is terminated or modified before your billing cycle ends.

T-Mobile - If you terminate your Service, your termination will be effective at the end of your current billing cycle, and you will remain responsible for all fees and Charges for your Service and usage through the end of that billing cycle.

VerizonCancellations will become effective on the last day of that month's billing cycle, and you are responsible for all charges incurred until then.

Bad customer service is not defined as a company sticking to the terms and conditions and refusing to make an exception. This is a standard practice across the entire industry. I get that it's frustrating but for every carrier in the nation, the agreement terms are available to everyone 

22 of 42 (5,007 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2016 2:52:42 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by cathy2981 on Feb 26, 2016 at 3:05:11 PM

I didnt know about this condition at all.

But i did call before to check with CSR and he said it will be pro-rated and then same story, getting duped by ATT citing me this "gotcha".

As such it says under voice rate plan - final bill is not pro-rated. First of all its so well hidden, arent there laws to prevent such hidden wordings?

My bill also had voice plan and then that unlimited data plan 30 bucks and messaging services. It doesnt say its also not pro-rated for those services any where, does it ?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines] Why should someone pay for service that wasnt used ?

thanks

manu

I didnt know about this condition at all.

But i did call before to check with CSR and he said it will be pro-rated and then same story, getting duped by ATT citing me this "gotcha".

As such it says under voice rate plan - final bill is not pro-rated. First of all its so well hidden, arent there laws to prevent such hidden wordings?

My bill also had voice plan and then that unlimited data plan 30 bucks and messaging services. It doesnt say its also not pro-rated for those services any where, does it ?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines] Why should someone pay for service that wasnt used ?

thanks

manu

[ Edited ]
23 of 42 (4,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 26, 2016 4:02:40 PM
(0)
Employee

There exists no such thing as a verbal contract. What is written in the terms and conditions are the terms that apply. Final bills simply are not prorated, for anyone. There isn't an exception and no matter how far you go up everyone will relay the same information.

There exists no such thing as a verbal contract. What is written in the terms and conditions are the terms that apply. Final bills simply are not prorated, for anyone. There isn't an exception and no matter how far you go up everyone will relay the same information.

24 of 42 (4,185 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2016 1:20:49 PM
(0)
Voyager

How is it that you can say "There isn't an exception and no matter how far you go up everyone will relay the same information." when there are users on this forum that are telling you that they are being told they will be prorated. Are you calling them liar's? You're not be helpful at all and I'd say that your actually being more of an irritant to customer's that feel like they are being ripped off. It would be more helpful if you didn't post again because your customer service sucks.

How is it that you can say "There isn't an exception and no matter how far you go up everyone will relay the same information." when there are users on this forum that are telling you that they are being told they will be prorated. Are you calling them liar's? You're not be helpful at all and I'd say that your actually being more of an irritant to customer's that feel like they are being ripped off. It would be more helpful if you didn't post again because your customer service sucks.

25 of 42 (4,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2016 5:17:33 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert

@JayStreet

It is just one of many training issues that needs to be addressed.  Yes, other customers are occasionally given wrong information.  Gophone users are told they can add passport for Europe (they can't).  One customer was told his phone would never be unlocked (it was).

Last I heard, humans still make errors and CSRs are human.

I followed a new community member around one morning because he was posting like he worked for ATT, but giving completely wrong information.  I just kept calling him on it and reported his posts to mods.

It's like matching socks.  Keep asking till you get at least 2 answers that match.

@JayStreet

It is just one of many training issues that needs to be addressed.  Yes, other customers are occasionally given wrong information.  Gophone users are told they can add passport for Europe (they can't).  One customer was told his phone would never be unlocked (it was).

Last I heard, humans still make errors and CSRs are human.

I followed a new community member around one morning because he was posting like he worked for ATT, but giving completely wrong information.  I just kept calling him on it and reported his posts to mods.

It's like matching socks.  Keep asking till you get at least 2 answers that match.

26 of 42 (4,019 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2016 6:29:59 PM
(1)
Employee

While I'm sure many would love to throw around the term "blatant liars" and so forth that is simply not the case. An uninformed representative that makes a statement does not mean someone automatically gets out of the terms and conditions based upon that. Representatives make mistakes. Representatives fail to look up information. Representatives are always specialized across departments. You think someone in technical support or a GoPhone rep is going to know exactly how a postpaid final bill works? This is why I state no verbal contract exists in this industry because if you go look at the Verizon or Sprint forums there are other people complaining that a rep told them such and such and then something else happened.

The customer agreement as posted is ironclad. It is the definitive source for exactly what someone can expect. If it says that a final bill will not be prorated then a final bill will not be prorated, no matter what a misinformed rep told you on the phone.

While I'm sure many would love to throw around the term "blatant liars" and so forth that is simply not the case. An uninformed representative that makes a statement does not mean someone automatically gets out of the terms and conditions based upon that. Representatives make mistakes. Representatives fail to look up information. Representatives are always specialized across departments. You think someone in technical support or a GoPhone rep is going to know exactly how a postpaid final bill works? This is why I state no verbal contract exists in this industry because if you go look at the Verizon or Sprint forums there are other people complaining that a rep told them such and such and then something else happened.

The customer agreement as posted is ironclad. It is the definitive source for exactly what someone can expect. If it says that a final bill will not be prorated then a final bill will not be prorated, no matter what a misinformed rep told you on the phone.

27 of 42 (4,002 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 29, 2016 9:13:55 PM
(0)
Voyager

You've done a great job of sticking to the facts and continue to miss the point. I think I understand how this works. Expect all customers to read the entire contract when they sign up because we all do that. Then after being a customer for 10 years and you're ending service, you need to remember that contract from 10 years ago. Just in case though if you've forgotten anything you can call in and ask a rep, but reps are people and they make mistakes so you need to hang up and call right back, but ask for a different rep because again the reps make mistakes. Most importantly though no matter what you are told AT&T doesn't recognize verbal contracts so anything a rep tells you means nothing. Oh yeah, and all the other providers do it this way so it's ok. 

I left Verizon for AT&T 10 years ago because of crap like this. Let me be clear I'm not talking about the prorate issue now. I'm talking about guys like David606. I recently left AT&T for T-Mobile 2 months ago and I was going to go back to AT&T, but I think instead I should support the little guy and stay with T-Mobile.

I've got no problem with the contract. If I missed it, but I signed it then I'll pay it. Unfortunately AT&T's bedside manner needs some work. I had been happy with AT&T for all those years and maybe it's time for AT&T to think about keeping good relationships with customers that are leaving so that the might come back like I was going to do. 

You've done a great job of sticking to the facts and continue to miss the point. I think I understand how this works. Expect all customers to read the entire contract when they sign up because we all do that. Then after being a customer for 10 years and you're ending service, you need to remember that contract from 10 years ago. Just in case though if you've forgotten anything you can call in and ask a rep, but reps are people and they make mistakes so you need to hang up and call right back, but ask for a different rep because again the reps make mistakes. Most importantly though no matter what you are told AT&T doesn't recognize verbal contracts so anything a rep tells you means nothing. Oh yeah, and all the other providers do it this way so it's ok. 

I left Verizon for AT&T 10 years ago because of crap like this. Let me be clear I'm not talking about the prorate issue now. I'm talking about guys like David606. I recently left AT&T for T-Mobile 2 months ago and I was going to go back to AT&T, but I think instead I should support the little guy and stay with T-Mobile.

I've got no problem with the contract. If I missed it, but I signed it then I'll pay it. Unfortunately AT&T's bedside manner needs some work. I had been happy with AT&T for all those years and maybe it's time for AT&T to think about keeping good relationships with customers that are leaving so that the might come back like I was going to do. 

28 of 42 (3,979 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 1, 2016 10:20:14 AM
(0)
Professor

If you can't remember the contract from 10 years ago, that is understandable. But it is very easy to find the written policy online which always over rides anything a CSR tells you.

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

If you can't remember the contract from 10 years ago, that is understandable. But it is very easy to find the written policy online which always over rides anything a CSR tells you.

http://www.att.com/legal/terms.wirelessCustomerAgreement.html#whatIsTheTermOfMyService

29 of 42 (3,925 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 15, 2016 2:01:41 PM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by comm4ID on Mar 15, 2016 at 2:11:53 PM

Who should bear the brunt of these mistakes? The party that has the most knowledge, control and opportunity to benefit which is the provider.  If AT&T (and other companies/employers) cannot be bothered to train their employees to provide accurate information and give them the resources needed to respond to typical inquiries, they should train them to say "I don't know, please check the agreement."  If a customer is told on day 1 of her billing cycle that she will only be billed for that 1 day if she changes provider, how can you excuse telling her she's out of luck when she gets the full bill? Making excuses and letting them off the hook does a disservice to all parties. 

Who should bear the brunt of these mistakes? The party that has the most knowledge, control and opportunity to benefit which is the provider.  If AT&T (and other companies/employers) cannot be bothered to train their employees to provide accurate information and give them the resources needed to respond to typical inquiries, they should train them to say "I don't know, please check the agreement."  If a customer is told on day 1 of her billing cycle that she will only be billed for that 1 day if she changes provider, how can you excuse telling her she's out of luck when she gets the full bill? Making excuses and letting them off the hook does a disservice to all parties. 

[ Edited ]
30 of 42 (3,465 Views)