Wireless Forums

Posted Nov 21, 2011
6:34:30 PM
Potential New Customer Question

I am thinking about opening an account with ATT.  If I open a 5-line family plan and purchase five smartphones, it forces me to put a data plan on all five lines.  However, I have two lines that don't need data.  If I move the SIM cards from those two lines to dumbphones and never use the smartphones, can I cancel the data plans immediately after I open the account or do I need to keep the data plan for the duration of the contract?

Thanks!

I am thinking about opening an account with ATT.  If I open a 5-line family plan and purchase five smartphones, it forces me to put a data plan on all five lines.  However, I have two lines that don't need data.  If I move the SIM cards from those two lines to dumbphones and never use the smartphones, can I cancel the data plans immediately after I open the account or do I need to keep the data plan for the duration of the contract?

Thanks!

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 21, 2011 8:41:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, you can cancel the data once you switch those Iines over to non data phones. If you have them or are trading him your data phones for his no data...he will have to add the data plans to them though, I'm sure you already knew that though :smileywink:
Accepted Solution

Potential New Customer Question

9 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(9)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 6:51:35 PM
(0)
Former Community Manager

If the other 2 lines don't need data, why purchase the smartphones for them? It sounds like it would be less expensive and less complicated to purchase 3 smartphones and 2 "dumb phones". 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

If the other 2 lines don't need data, why purchase the smartphones for them? It sounds like it would be less expensive and less complicated to purchase 3 smartphones and 2 "dumb phones". 

--------------

As of May 1st, I am no longer serving as the Community Manager for AT&T. This account will no longer be able to accept private messages. If you have an account related issue, please send a private message to ATTCustomerCare.

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: Potential New Customer Question

2 of 10 (558 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 6:56:55 PM
(0)
Tutor

I actually have a friend who wants to purchase them.  It would be cheaper for me to buy while opening this account since he's not out of contract yet.

I actually have a friend who wants to purchase them.  It would be cheaper for me to buy while opening this account since he's not out of contract yet.

3 of 10 (556 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 21, 2011 8:41:28 PM
(0)
Scholar
Yes, you can cancel the data once you switch those Iines over to non data phones. If you have them or are trading him your data phones for his no data...he will have to add the data plans to them though, I'm sure you already knew that though :smileywink:

4 of 10 (530 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 9:00:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Yep, he's aware he needs data on his lines.  That's not a problem.

Just wanted to confirm there was nothing in the contract that says I need to keep the data package on the lines even if I swap them for dumbphones.

Thanks for your help! =]

Yep, he's aware he needs data on his lines.  That's not a problem.

Just wanted to confirm there was nothing in the contract that says I need to keep the data package on the lines even if I swap them for dumbphones.

Thanks for your help! =]

5 of 10 (527 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 21, 2011 9:04:59 PM
(0)
Scholar
Nope no clause demanding you keep it any length of time. And you're welcome.
Nope no clause demanding you keep it any length of time. And you're welcome.

6 of 10 (525 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 8:24:20 AM
(0)
Professor
A big note on this - at&t does not require you to keep the data plan if you switch to non-smartphones, but some third party resellers might not allow you to change the contract. If you deal with a non-corporate store, read the fine print.
A big note on this - at&t does not require you to keep the data plan if you switch to non-smartphones, but some third party resellers might not allow you to change the contract. If you deal with a non-corporate store, read the fine print.

7 of 10 (500 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 8:37:27 AM
(0)
Expert

Another thing the OP needs to remember - if they obtain 5 smartphones they are under contrct for 2 years for all five of those lines AND they are responsible for the smartphne etf of 325.00 per line no matter if they downgrade them to a dumbphone or not, the etf and contract length will remain the same

Another thing the OP needs to remember - if they obtain 5 smartphones they are under contrct for 2 years for all five of those lines AND they are responsible for the smartphne etf of 325.00 per line no matter if they downgrade them to a dumbphone or not, the etf and contract length will remain the same

8 of 10 (493 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 6:17:37 PM
(0)
Tutor

Understood.  I have no plans to cancel the additional lines.  Just wanted to be able to remove the data plan off them since I will not be using the smart phones.  I will be switching and staying for at least two years =]

Thanks for all your help!

Understood.  I have no plans to cancel the additional lines.  Just wanted to be able to remove the data plan off them since I will not be using the smart phones.  I will be switching and staying for at least two years =]

Thanks for all your help!

9 of 10 (474 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 22, 2011 7:34:26 PM
(0)
Professor
To clarify what I said, some third party vendors will not let you change your plan in any way - including dropping data. Be careful using them.
To clarify what I said, some third party vendors will not let you change your plan in any way - including dropping data. Be careful using them.

10 of 10 (465 Views)