Need help understanding your bill?
jimjewel's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, December 2nd, 2012 4:20 AM

Porting number from different metro areas

Hello,

I moved recently from New York to Atlanta. My current cell phone is not with AT&T and out of contract. I would like to keep my NY number at least in the short term. I was in Best Buy today and they told my I could not port my number. I was on a chat with an AT&T rep and they said I could. I'm more inclined to believe AT&T since it's their service. My question is, if I buy the phone from Best Buy, they're offering a better deal on the phone than AT&T right now, with a local number, would I be able to later port my NY number later on over the phone with AT&T customer service?

Thanks,

James

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

13K Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately no you will not, you can only port your number within the same city/state between carriers there, once you leave that area like you have your number can not be ported to that area with out with out the same company, unfortunately the only options you have are to keep the number and service you have now as it is or to relocate the service and get a new plan and features as well as phone number for the new area you live in, this is unfortunately outside of AT&T's preview to change as per the FCC. this can be confirmed at the following link. http://www.fcc.gov/encyclopedia/wireless-local-number-portability-wlnp#whatis
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.