Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 15, 2011
7:52:53 PM
View profile
Pay As You Go in canada

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Hi Guys,

Looking to see if the pay as you go phone will roam in montreal canada? I can't see coverage on the map but if you go on rogers website it's go full coverage.

Thanks

Pay As You Go in canada

24 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(24)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2011 9:00:55 PM
(0)
Professor

mikl730 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Yes. Canada roaming is a new feature.

mikl730 wrote:

Hi Guys,

Thanks

Yes. Canada roaming is a new feature.

Re: Pay As You Go in canada

2 of 25 (2,960 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 10:04:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Check out the coverage link on this page. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp It stops service at monteal. Its says it uses rogers and if you go on their website montreal has full service.

Check out the coverage link on this page. http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/roaming/gophone-international-roaming.jsp It stops service at monteal. Its says it uses rogers and if you go on their website montreal has full service.

3 of 25 (2,946 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 2:39:30 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 16, 2011 at 3:14:43 PM

Sorry. You're right. I looked at the roaming section that said AT&T has "GSM 850 - live." So you are right that you can't roam in Montreal. You can roam if you're at the west edge of Montreal. It's too bad that the 3G 850/1900 are not included in AT&T roaming.

Sorry. You're right. I looked at the roaming section that said AT&T has "GSM 850 - live." So you are right that you can't roam in Montreal. You can roam if you're at the west edge of Montreal. It's too bad that the 3G 850/1900 are not included in AT&T roaming.

[ Edited ]
4 of 25 (2,929 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 3:54:53 PM
(0)
Tutor
I already bought a pay as you go phone to use in Canada because the Verizon rates are so high. I hope the maps are wrong but I will give you guys an update
I already bought a pay as you go phone to use in Canada because the Verizon rates are so high. I hope the maps are wrong but I will give you guys an update

5 of 25 (2,918 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2011 7:43:51 PM
(0)
Professor

Yep. Good luck. Have a good trip. We will appreciate your report.

Yep. Good luck. Have a good trip. We will appreciate your report.

6 of 25 (2,905 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 1:42:13 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mikl730 on Sep 17, 2011 at 1:43:40 PM

I really hope the coverage map is wrong or old. The 3g map shows it covered, so if there is 3g must also be gsm/edge there?

I hate blowing money for nothing. Was just trying to save a few dollars on roaming or 20 lol. If you see this press coverage it clearly says montreal would be covered. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20597&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32366&mapcode=consumer|mk-att-go...

Also check out the rogers gsm service map. Which the other coverage map says ATT is using. 

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network?setLanguage=en&cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wirele...

I'm leaving Oct 7th to the 18th. Thx for the luck!

I really hope the coverage map is wrong or old. The 3g map shows it covered, so if there is 3g must also be gsm/edge there?

I hate blowing money for nothing. Was just trying to save a few dollars on roaming or 20 lol. If you see this press coverage it clearly says montreal would be covered. http://www.att.com/gen/press-room?pid=20597&cdvn=news&newsarticleid=32366&mapcode=consumer|mk-att-gophone

Also check out the rogers gsm service map. Which the other coverage map says ATT is using. 

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/wireless_network?setLanguage=en&cm_mmc=Redirects-_-Consumer_Wireless_Eng-_-Network_0909-_-coverage

I'm leaving Oct 7th to the 18th. Thx for the luck!

[ Edited ]
7 of 25 (2,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 4:11:21 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 17, 2011 at 4:25:10 PM

The first URL is further proof that Montreal is covered by AT&T roaming.

You may be right about the map problem.

It seems that there is a problem with the drop down menu of the URL a couple of posts back. But if I use the Country Index (instead of the drop down menu) and then drill down to United States, I can see that AT&T roaming includes GSM 850/1900 and 3G 850/1900. I can see that if I zoom in to Montreal with the 3G 850/1900 technology option, there's pretty good coverage. Here's the URL assuming that it does not expire:

http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network.php?cid=280&cname=United States

Based on that, I think that while GSM 850/1900 coverage would be generally available elsewhere in Cananda (try Calgary), only the 3G 850/1900 bands are available in Montreal.

If your handset is for AT&T and if it is 3G capable, you're good to go. I also recall that a few Nokia world phones would work too.

The first URL is further proof that Montreal is covered by AT&T roaming.

You may be right about the map problem.

It seems that there is a problem with the drop down menu of the URL a couple of posts back. But if I use the Country Index (instead of the drop down menu) and then drill down to United States, I can see that AT&T roaming includes GSM 850/1900 and 3G 850/1900. I can see that if I zoom in to Montreal with the 3G 850/1900 technology option, there's pretty good coverage. Here's the URL assuming that it does not expire:

http://maps.mobileworldlive.com/network.php?cid=280&cname=United States

Based on that, I think that while GSM 850/1900 coverage would be generally available elsewhere in Cananda (try Calgary), only the 3G 850/1900 bands are available in Montreal.

If your handset is for AT&T and if it is 3G capable, you're good to go. I also recall that a few Nokia world phones would work too.

[ Edited ]
8 of 25 (2,882 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 4:36:14 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

I'm a sprint / nextel / verizon boy. Don't know that much about GSM. I have an 9650 that the sim card from my go phone works in. Does this have the correct frequecys you talk about?

9 of 25 (2,867 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 4:58:22 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Sep 17, 2011 at 4:59:15 PM

mikl730 wrote:

That's a very nice phone that has GSM and CDMA capability. I can find only the 3G 2100 spec on the Blackberry 9650 web site. I doubt if the GoPhone in 9650 would work in Montreal. However, if you also have Sprint/Nextel/Verizon service, have you already looked into their roaming service?

mikl730 wrote:

That's a very nice phone that has GSM and CDMA capability. I can find only the 3G 2100 spec on the Blackberry 9650 web site. I doubt if the GoPhone in 9650 would work in Montreal. However, if you also have Sprint/Nextel/Verizon service, have you already looked into their roaming service?

[ Edited ]
10 of 25 (2,859 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 5:02:29 PM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mikl730 on Sep 17, 2011 at 5:05:48 PM

9650 is my old Sprint Phone and my work phone is a nextel. Wont be spending the company money on my vacation lol. My personal phone is Verizon. I'll use Verizon as a last resort, i have international mode activated on my iphone.  But thanks for all your effort i'll give it a go!

9650 is my old Sprint Phone and my work phone is a nextel. Wont be spending the company money on my vacation lol. My personal phone is Verizon. I'll use Verizon as a last resort, i have international mode activated on my iphone.  But thanks for all your effort i'll give it a go!

[ Edited ]
11 of 25 (2,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 17, 2011 5:05:17 PM
(0)
Professor

Smiley HappyYou're welcome

Smiley HappyYou're welcome

12 of 25 (2,791 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 28, 2011 11:16:12 PM
(0)
Scholar

It will WORK ANYWHERE in Canada where there is Rogers coverage (check www.rogers.com).

The gsmworld maps are OLD because they require manual carrier updating. Their coverage is similar to anywhere AT&T has coverage.

It uses standard ANYWHERE Americas 850/1900 bands 2G+3G ANY AT&T phone.

It will WORK ANYWHERE in Canada where there is Rogers coverage (check www.rogers.com).

The gsmworld maps are OLD because they require manual carrier updating. Their coverage is similar to anywhere AT&T has coverage.

It uses standard ANYWHERE Americas 850/1900 bands 2G+3G ANY AT&T phone.

13 of 25 (2,756 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 7:45:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

AT&T Gophone Roaming in Canada only works with Rogers Wireless!!! But  someone in AT&T told me its works with Bell and Telus Too!!!!

It will  works with GSM 850/1900 and 3G .So, most AT&T gophone will work fine in Canada.

AT&T Gophone Roaming in Canada only works with Rogers Wireless!!! But  someone in AT&T told me its works with Bell and Telus Too!!!!

It will  works with GSM 850/1900 and 3G .So, most AT&T gophone will work fine in Canada.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

14 of 25 (2,744 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 3:09:55 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Just an update,everything works fine(Just like in USA) when roaming in Canada with an AT&T Gophone,Smiley Happy just by mistake,I press the AT&T apps store button, loaded 1 page, I got nailed  US$1.63!!!!!Smiley Mad

Just an update,everything works fine(Just like in USA) when roaming in Canada with an AT&T Gophone,Smiley Happy just by mistake,I press the AT&T apps store button, loaded 1 page, I got nailed  US$1.63!!!!!Smiley Mad

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

15 of 25 (2,731 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2011 8:26:05 PM
(0)
Professor

Where in Canada?

Where in Canada?

16 of 25 (2,723 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 1, 2011 7:33:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi ilikewireless, 

The coverage for roaming in Canada  with AT&T Gophone are area with Rogers Wireless Coverage.

Hope that's help.

Hi ilikewireless, 

The coverage for roaming in Canada  with AT&T Gophone are area with Rogers Wireless Coverage.

Hope that's help.

17 of 25 (2,714 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 7:55:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

i'm leaving for monteal friday so i'll update you all when i get there!

18 of 25 (2,701 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 12:51:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi mikl730,

Please keep us all update ,as far as I know, This AT&T Gophone roaming in Canada works well in Vancouver BC,Calgary AB,Edmonton AB, Winnipeg MB & Toronto ON.

I myself tested out the area of Calgary & Edmonton this weekend, The other area are tested out by my friends who all have an AT&T Gophone .But we all have a newer kind of phones (eg. Samsung Strive,Solstice 2,LG Phoenix  etc).

We don't know how Montreal area like yet,since no one test that out,But I think it should works!

Hi mikl730,

Please keep us all update ,as far as I know, This AT&T Gophone roaming in Canada works well in Vancouver BC,Calgary AB,Edmonton AB, Winnipeg MB & Toronto ON.

I myself tested out the area of Calgary & Edmonton this weekend, The other area are tested out by my friends who all have an AT&T Gophone .But we all have a newer kind of phones (eg. Samsung Strive,Solstice 2,LG Phoenix  etc).

We don't know how Montreal area like yet,since no one test that out,But I think it should works!

19 of 25 (2,694 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 9:01:47 PM
(0)
Professor

mikl730 wrote:

Yes, we'll be happy to hear a report from you regarding Montreal.

mikl730 wrote:

Yes, we'll be happy to hear a report from you regarding Montreal.

20 of 25 (2,685 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2011 9:04:40 PM
(0)
Professor
Edited by ilikewireless on Oct 2, 2011 at 9:05:29 PM

adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi mikl730,

Yes, that's a lot more useful than naming the carriers. The report on Calgary and Edmonton is exactly what I need.

adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi mikl730,

Yes, that's a lot more useful than naming the carriers. The report on Calgary and Edmonton is exactly what I need.

[ Edited ]
21 of 25 (2,708 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 8:49:47 AM
(0)
ACE - Guru

Hi ilikewireless,

Just to give you more info. about AT&T Gophone coverage in Alberta Canada. The phone not just only works in all Major cities in Alberta, like Edmonton ,Calgary,Lethbridge etc. It also works all the way from Highway 2 (Canada) Peace River to Coutts (Sweet Grass) Montana border. You will get cut off as soon as you hit the border crossing.Will pick up AT&T again after 6 to 8 miles on I 15 .

Still remember the days when alltel  in Montana,no coverage with AT&T. I need to use roaming on my Canadian phone!!

Hi ilikewireless,

Just to give you more info. about AT&T Gophone coverage in Alberta Canada. The phone not just only works in all Major cities in Alberta, like Edmonton ,Calgary,Lethbridge etc. It also works all the way from Highway 2 (Canada) Peace River to Coutts (Sweet Grass) Montana border. You will get cut off as soon as you hit the border crossing.Will pick up AT&T again after 6 to 8 miles on I 15 .

Still remember the days when alltel  in Montana,no coverage with AT&T. I need to use roaming on my Canadian phone!!

22 of 25 (2,695 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 3, 2011 11:11:50 AM
(0)
Professor

adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi ilikewireless,

Hi adidaskid808,

Excellent. Thank you again for your report. I can use my GoPhone when I go visit my relatives.

adidaskid808 wrote:

Hi ilikewireless,

Hi adidaskid808,

Excellent. Thank you again for your report. I can use my GoPhone when I go visit my relatives.

23 of 25 (2,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 4:59:34 AM
(0)
Tutor

Hi guys just reporting back that the phone works great in montreal! Roaming on rogers no problem. They should update there map on the website to get more customers so they know they can roam anywhere in canada on rogers!

Hi guys just reporting back that the phone works great in montreal! Roaming on rogers no problem. They should update there map on the website to get more customers so they know they can roam anywhere in canada on rogers!

24 of 25 (2,674 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2011 10:06:31 AM
(0)
Professor

mikl730 wrote:

Thanks for the report. I'm glad that you can use your Gophone in Montreal.

mikl730 wrote:

Thanks for the report. I'm glad that you can use your Gophone in Montreal.

25 of 25 (2,668 Views)