Need help understanding your bill?
unprotectedclient's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 11th, 2012 7:55 PM

Nuisances calls

Ive been a customer for over 7 years, and clearly I as well as the rest of US are not valued. It is almost as if we do not pay enough already that AT&T allows third party's to send and sell unwanted text via wireless and NUISANCE CALLS from Phone numbers that are not real.  & When we ask how to stop the calls and text we are then asked to pay even more. Or Promised that a service will be added at no charge and with in 3 days the service is removed and the calls continue. much like the Postalmail (5 Pieces a week) even after being asking for years to stop sending it can take over 3 years for it to stop or they just remove the name and send it to CUSTOMER at your address. I keep getting robot calls FOR, MEDS or reduce Dubt but the phone number is not real the latest one is 810******** they call 3 to 4 times a day and Im starting to think It was AT&T how gave them my number  they clearly AT&T wants that extra $5.00 a month. But the thing is If as a customer for over 7 years and the postal mail I asked to stop still keeps coming and the sales via text keep coming and the phone calls even thought I have listed the number on NATL DO NOT CALL & RETAILERS LIST still keep coming  Clearly I need to start forwarding these calls to your stores because forwarding the to my local prosecutor, the local Law enforcement, the US house of REPS. Just is not working either, how is it that the company that we pay every month can not tell if the incoming # is or is not real? How is it that we all keep getting these calls, is it because we just do not pay AT&T enough?  WHAT WILL IT TAKE FOR AT&T to PROTECT THERE PAYING CUSTOMERS FROM THESE NUISANCE CALLS THAT COST US ALL? ARE WE REALLY VALUED CUSTOMERS?

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry that you're getting telemarketing calls and spam text messages. 

Telemarketing calls are often made by "robo-dialers" who simply string random numbers together until the hit a live phone number. 

You've already registered on the Do Not Call List and that's a great move. You can report spam text messages as well to help stop those spammers. 

Here is more information about telemarketing calls and texts: http://www.att.com/esupport/article.jsp?sid=KB90035#fbid=CEsJqleA9UC

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

So what can we do about telemarketers that call 5 and 6 times a day even after being told not to call?

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@shortcircuit wrote:

So what can we do about telemarketers that call 5 and 6 times a day even after being told not to call?

the national do not call list, there is a federal and some states have their own. As long as you do not have a current or past relationship with them if they continue to call you after you inform them that your number os on the DNC list they can be fined

Contributor

• 

1 Message

11 years ago

I don't think this was actually solved.

AT&T - registering with the national DNR only stops people who obey the law.  Not the people that are calling us incessantly.  Once they get your number it does not stop.

There is only room for 20 entries in the phone to block calls (at least in our crappy phone that cost a zillion at the AT&T store).  If there are calls from more numbers than that, you're hosed.

Just this last month, we had these (some are not even real numbers) - all had a litany of complaints on the interwebs against them  Why do the phone companies not shut these guys off?

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

11 years ago

@tired dad wrote:

I don't think this was actually solved.

AT&T - registering with the national DNR only stops people who obey the law.  Not the people that are calling us incessantly.  Once they get your number it does not stop.

There is only room for 20 entries in the phone to block calls (at least in our crappy phone that cost a zillion at the AT&T store).  If there are calls from more numbers than that, you're hosed.

Just this last month, we had these (some are not even real numbers) - all had a litany of complaints on the interwebs against them  Why do the phone companies not shut these guys off?

Because phone companies don't have the authority to tell anyone the can or can not make a phone call to someone.

If a company is violating the Do Not Call list, you should file a complaint with the FTC. https://complaints.donotcall.gov/complaint/complaintcheck.aspx?panel=2

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I have to agree that this has not been solved by ATT

When

- you are on the do not call list

- you have registered a complaint repeatedly with the do not call registry

- you have never done business with the company that is calling

- will you never do business with them

- they have called at least 4 or 5 times every other day

- the period this has been going on is over 6 months

- you have blocked all of the 5 numbers they use

- you can not call back the numbers they use to stop them from calling because that number does not recieve calls

When THAT company is prevented from using my ATT home phone number to harass me, then the problem will be solved. 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Phone companies do not have a way to block calls. That can only be done by the phone or an app on the phone. 

The only thing you can do is report them to the do not call website.

Most of the phone numbers are spoofed anyway, so that the number you are getting on your phone is not the real number they are calling from.

Most of those type calls are from scammers and they will find a way around any blocking attempt.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

9 years ago

"Phone companies do not have a way to block calls." is not quite accurate.

There's a service available to them called NoMoRobo (nomorobo.com), which uses a technology called Simultaneous Ringing so that NoMoRobo intercepts a call on the first ring, compares it against their growing database of spam numbers, and if there's a match the call is disconnected. So the behavior you'll see (Comcast offers this, among other voice providers) is if you hear 1 ring and then nothing, it was a blocked spam call.

AT&T does not subscribe to this service (which is free to the consumer). Since we've started getting robo calls on our cell phone more frequently, there's clearly a need for it. If they cared about their customers they would provide this service. Call AT&T Customer Service and ask that they support NoMoRo: 1-800-331-0500.

(I have no affiliation with NoMoRo other than being a satisfied customer on my Comcast phone line.)

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

9 years ago

Does nomorobo charge us a fee for using their service. I think things we need to do when received nuisance call is to report it to the authorities and Do Not Call website.

Professor

• 

3.9K Messages

9 years ago

I could be wrong, but my understanding is this: NoMoRobo is real, and it does work... You buy the device, and that is the main cost..  You need to subscribe to caller id to make the box work, but that is the only special service you need to make it function...   

HOWEVER, there is a certain kind of signal you need to get from the phone connection for the service to work, and u-verse phone service has it, but the pots home phone service does not.

This is one of those situations, att is aware of it, but presantly has no plans to address it. (if ever)

of you click on the blue explore icon above, and type in nomorobo as a search term, there are other threads on this topic that have more information about it, and a pretty good description on how it works.

the basic gist is this: if you don't have u-verse voice for your home phone, you may want to hold off buying a nomorobo until you know it will work on your phone service.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.