Need help understanding your bill?
NurseNiccole's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Saturday, November 30th, 2013 5:26 AM

No Grace Period

I have bern a loyal customer for years. I was told today by a customer support supervisor that there is no such thing as a grace period. My service was turned off for being 4 days late on my payment (due November 25th). I was also told that I would have to pay a fee to restore service (40 bucks!) and this will show up on my next bill. I think that is absolutely ridiculous. After expressing my displeasure, I received no additional help and was told they are not allowed to remove the fee. Fed up!

[Subject edited to reflect new topic]

Former Employee

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

I will start off by saying that we do greatly appreciate your business. Suspensions and restoral fees are common with all carriers and many pes of service providers.

I would suggest logging in to your online account manager to ensure all of your contact inform is correct. You can also setup your notifications and pay your bill online and from the MyAT&T app on your smartphone or tablet. AT&T has several methods of notifying its customers to in form them that they have a new bill available all the way through pending suspension. They will email, call, and text. You may even get something in the mail.

As for your specific concerns, there is no set grace period for late payments. The number of allowed days for a grace period is determined by the system and is dependent on several things including payment history and balance due amongst others. The $40 restoral fee is common place as well and is used in part to continually update and improve the payment systems and options for paying your bill to make it more convenient for our customers. 

If you would like assistance learning how to use our online account manager or the MyAT&T app please contact customer care or visit one our stores.

Thank you again for being part of AT&T.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, NurseNiccole!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear that your service was interrupted due to a late payment. As JustWeb suggested, you may find the myAT&T app helpful. It provides detailed account information, and you can pay your bill right from the app. Autopay is another option that many of our customers take advantage of.

If you have any questions, or if you would like us to review your account, please send us a private message by clicking here. In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey NurseNiccole,

I'm really sorry that you were expecting something, and we hadn't had a chance to talk to you.

Officially, we advised that on any day after the due date that's listed on the bill, you are liabile for interuption. You're right, there's no official grace period. Like JustWeb said, our system will decide based on a number of factors, how long to wait. Personally 4 days seems a little short to me too, are you sure the 25th is your due date, per your bill?

As a general life policy, it's probably a good idea to contact your various service providers if you'll be late, especially if you don't know what to expect.

We'll be more than happy to review potential options and expectations. Some of our customers are eligble for arrangements to avoid interuptions. (We want to help you avoid them, if you let us)

Usually we might send a letter or an email as added notice that you're getting close, but we aren't able to setup extensions for you, without your assistance.

We will work hard to help you use the system to your advantage, but unfounded expectations are a poor basis for taking care of services that are important to you.

-Alex

Samsung Galaxy S4

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I also have had this problem of no grace period. The customer service reps response below is not accurate. Other companies (large ones like AT&T) do offer grace periods and help when needed to offer standard customer service. I am a PG&E, Comcast, Esurance and Clark Pest Control customer and every single one of those companies have grace periods and work with you if you need an extension. I am in my second month with AT&T and the day after my bill was due I was shut off. Upon calling AT&T we were offerred no assistance. I am really regretting moving from Sprint to AT&T as even thier competitors offer better customer support. I am dissapointed and will not stay with AT&T after my 2 years. They hook you with thier contracts and then offer no support following that. If you are a consumer looking for a new cell company, unless you never miss a due date this company is not for you.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@79becka wrote:

I also have had this problem of no grace period. The customer service reps response below is not accurate. Other companies (large ones like AT&T) do offer grace periods and help when needed to offer standard customer service. I am a PG&E, Comcast, Esurance and Clark Pest Control customer and every single one of those companies have grace periods and work with you if you need an extension. I am in my second month with AT&T and the day after my bill was due I was shut off. Upon calling AT&T we were offerred no assistance. I am really regretting moving from Sprint to AT&T as even thier competitors offer better customer support. I am dissapointed and will not stay with AT&T after my 2 years. They hook you with thier contracts and then offer no support following that. If you are a consumer looking for a new cell company, unless you never miss a due date this company is not for you.

A line can be shut off any time after the due date.  AT&T has had a grace period in the past.  It was based on things like payment history; if you have only been with AT&T for two months, you don't have enough of a payment history built up for any consideration to be given for payment extensions.

I get that you are upset, but a company has a right not to offer service for delinquent customers. 

Scholar

• 

100 Messages

10 years ago

The best thing to do is call Customer Care, and set up a "payment arrangement" before actual 'disconnection of service'. I believe you have to have service for six months before a payment arrangement can be offered though. Once you call customer care they will go over the terms with you.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Every other provider will offer more time and help customers who need it. I work for a Verizon call center and we do set extended payment arrangements to help people. I am a customer with AT&T right now and the same thing is happening to me. They have no sympathy for anyone not lining their pockets no matter how long you have been with them. I've been a loyal customer for years and will be leaving.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

Every provider WILL make arrangements IF the customer calls. If the customer does not call, they will suspend if payment is not made. AT&T does allow payment arrangements, but it is not automatic, you have to call and make the arrangement.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, Cjp080!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear your service has been suspended due to late payment. Payment arrangements can always be made ahead of time by calling our care department at 1-800-331-0500.

We would be happy to review your account and explore your options, so please click here to send us a private message. In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

I hate att I was with Sprint almost 8 years and thought I'd get better pricing with att but instead I got higher bill worse quality phones and horrible customer service. I'm going back immediately I don't care about contract Sprint will buy it out anyway. Att sucks.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.