Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Feb 22, 2014
4:22:03 PM
New shared data plans- No "Deal" for existing custosmers.

I was so excited when I saw the new shared data plans advertised. We figured it would save us atleast $30 a month. So i look into them and find out that as an existing att customer only my contracts that are in place as of feb 03 are eligible for the advertised rates and if I upgrade a line (all but 1 of my lines are currently upgrade eligible) then the cost jumps from $15 to $40 a line. So in order to get this advertised rate for the next couple of years I either have be a new customer, a customer who just renewed in january, payout of pocket for a new phone and not renew my contract in order upgrade my phone, or be willing to keep using my 2 yr old phones for another 2 yrs. Otherwise instead of saving me money this plan will actually end costing me $50 more a month than I'm paying now with my old grad fathered plan.  

So why don't they value me? I've been a loyal customer for more than 10 yrs. I pay my bill on time.I upgrade every 2 1/2  to 3 yrs meaning they make a little extra off me every time.  Apparently this is not the kind of customer att is looking for. Maybe it is time to spend 10 yrs somewhere else and see if they will actually reward my loyality. Wouldn't that be nice for a change. A company that fought to keep you instead only worry about stealing from the other guy. How about offering a 5% 5yr loyality discount on plans and a 10 yr 10% discount on plans. Or maybe just even offering us as good of a deal as the new guy for a change.  Because I don't know about all of you but I'm really tired of being thanked for my business by being asked to pay extra for it.

I was so excited when I saw the new shared data plans advertised. We figured it would save us atleast $30 a month. So i look into them and find out that as an existing att customer only my contracts that are in place as of feb 03 are eligible for the advertised rates and if I upgrade a line (all but 1 of my lines are currently upgrade eligible) then the cost jumps from $15 to $40 a line. So in order to get this advertised rate for the next couple of years I either have be a new customer, a customer who just renewed in january, payout of pocket for a new phone and not renew my contract in order upgrade my phone, or be willing to keep using my 2 yr old phones for another 2 yrs. Otherwise instead of saving me money this plan will actually end costing me $50 more a month than I'm paying now with my old grad fathered plan.  

So why don't they value me? I've been a loyal customer for more than 10 yrs. I pay my bill on time.I upgrade every 2 1/2  to 3 yrs meaning they make a little extra off me every time.  Apparently this is not the kind of customer att is looking for. Maybe it is time to spend 10 yrs somewhere else and see if they will actually reward my loyality. Wouldn't that be nice for a change. A company that fought to keep you instead only worry about stealing from the other guy. How about offering a 5% 5yr loyality discount on plans and a 10 yr 10% discount on plans. Or maybe just even offering us as good of a deal as the new guy for a change.  Because I don't know about all of you but I'm really tired of being thanked for my business by being asked to pay extra for it.

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 4:58:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

1footoutdoor wrote:

New customers get the same deal. If they get a subsidized phone, the plan is $40 per month for the access until the 2 year contract is complete. Only if they bring their own phone or pay full price for the phone do they get the $15 per line. They can use NEXT to keep the line at $15 per month but then they pay monthly for the cost of the phone in addition to the plan.

New customers and existing customers get the same deals.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

New shared data plans- No "Deal" for existing custosmers.

5 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 4:26:38 PM
(0)
Expert

1footoutdoor wrote:

What would be the discount for a 4 decade customer?

1footoutdoor wrote:

What would be the discount for a 4 decade customer?

Re: New shared data plans- No "Deal" for existing custosmers.

2 of 6 (1,656 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 22, 2014 4:49:09 PM
(0)
Tutor

WOW- How much did that cell phone weigh? Let me guess the size of of a WWII B17.

WOW- How much did that cell phone weigh? Let me guess the size of of a WWII B17.

3 of 6 (1,646 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Feb 22, 2014 4:58:29 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

1footoutdoor wrote:

New customers get the same deal. If they get a subsidized phone, the plan is $40 per month for the access until the 2 year contract is complete. Only if they bring their own phone or pay full price for the phone do they get the $15 per line. They can use NEXT to keep the line at $15 per month but then they pay monthly for the cost of the phone in addition to the plan.

This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.

1footoutdoor wrote:

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 6 (1,642 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 7:22:09 AM
(0)
Former Employee

You need to do the math. Perhaps paying full price for a new phone isn't as bad as it seems. You say you can save $30 a month on the new plan. That's $360 a year or $720 over a 2 year contact. When you also consider the upfront cost of most new subsidized smart phones plus the upgrade fee, you normally pay around $240. You also say you normally upgrade every 2 1/2 to 3 years, meaning your are paying $30 more a month for 6 or 12 more months after your contract expires. When you add all that up, you may find over the course of those 2 1/2 to 3 years, you paid more for those phones than you would on the new plan and the Next plan for new phones. 

You need to do the math. Perhaps paying full price for a new phone isn't as bad as it seems. You say you can save $30 a month on the new plan. That's $360 a year or $720 over a 2 year contact. When you also consider the upfront cost of most new subsidized smart phones plus the upgrade fee, you normally pay around $240. You also say you normally upgrade every 2 1/2 to 3 years, meaning your are paying $30 more a month for 6 or 12 more months after your contract expires. When you add all that up, you may find over the course of those 2 1/2 to 3 years, you paid more for those phones than you would on the new plan and the Next plan for new phones. 

5 of 6 (1,570 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 23, 2014 9:31:32 AM
(0)
Expert

1footoutdoor wrote:

Not that much, but prefer those phones, they had a 5 watt transciever as compare to the .7 watt transciever that the current phons have, never had connection problems at all no matter where I was.

You pay for a service, service is provided, that is your loyalty program, no need for entitlement of discounts and freebies

1footoutdoor wrote:

Not that much, but prefer those phones, they had a 5 watt transciever as compare to the .7 watt transciever that the current phons have, never had connection problems at all no matter where I was.

You pay for a service, service is provided, that is your loyalty program, no need for entitlement of discounts and freebies

6 of 6 (1,554 Views)