Need help understanding your bill?
groomerdude's profile

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

Sunday, March 23rd, 2014 12:20 AM

Loss of Data and sometimes Voice connection

Yesterday was the third time this has happened.  Each time it occurs on a day when I am zipping around the country.  (Yesterday I was in DC, Baltimore, St. Louis and home to LA).  When I got to St. Louis my phone was dead.  No data.  No voice service.  The calendar was set to a date several months ago and the clock was random (which makes sense if it isn't on the network).  Soft resets done - no difference.  Suddenly at 5AM Pacific - I connect as the phone woke me reading me all the texts I had received.  I have the Nokia 1020.   Previous 2 times it was only data connection.  The first time I had no data for 10 days.  Got new SIM, even got a new phone.  But the problem followed me so obviously it wasn't the phone.  (I kept the original phone).  Second time was just data loss for 18 hours.  The first time tech support elevated the case but no one kept me informed.  I threatened to change service providers unless it was fixed or someone gave me a thorough update by the next morning.  And lo and behold it worked.  But later that day tech support called just to let me know they are still working on it.

SO.... I cannot have this happen.  Given the swap of phones and sim card (and even a hard reset), it seem unlikely to be my hardware.  How can I get ATT to pay attention to my problem.  If I call tech support (like I just did) and tell them the phone is now fine - they don't want to do anything.  Maybe customer retention?   But I know if this problem isn't addressed for me, I truly will have to switch. I cannot lose service when I need it the most.   Anyone else with this type of problem?

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, groomerdude!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry to hear about all the issues with your phone. What you're describing is definitely unusual, so please click here to send us a private message, and we'll look into it.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen. 

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns. 

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

10 years ago

Hi.  So 48 hours after following the suggestion to use a link to send a message to customer support, I received an email asking if there is an alternate number to reach me so they can troubleshoot the phone and when is the best time to reach me.  It was clear I was going to be put in touch with Level 1 type tech support.

I had cut and paste my original post and this does not bode well for the ability to read thoroughly.  The issue is not the phone and I have done the troubleshooting steps (with ATT and by myself) more times than I can remember.   My records should clearly show that a new phone and new sim card made no difference -- thus it was something about my account and the network.  (I have been a customer for 10 years in perfect standing).  I also do not have an alternate number as I joined the 21st century and cut the cord.  I offered Skype as an alternative.   Six hours have gone by and no response.  

I have really liked being an ATT customer.  If possible I would like to remain as one.  Lower level customer support has always been great.  But this requires advance technical troubleshooting.  My next crazy trip isn't until May.  Next month I am traveling but just to one city and back.   If someone doesn't take the effort to reach me or give me a phone number to reach them, then I will be left with no choice but to switch before my May trip.  All I want is some attention and someone working on this and reporting in to me -- not leaving me hanging or telling me we will get back to you when we want and in a few days.  I don't think I am unreasonable.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, again.

If one of our social media care managers has reached out to you, I strongly recommend that you continue working with this person. This is a different care team than the one you've worked with over the phone, and they will work very hard to get your issue resolved. 

The care manager assigned to your case will be able to get this escalated to the appropriate department if he or she is unable to fix the issue.

Let me know if you have any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

10 years ago

Thank you, ATTMarianaCM.  Yes care manager team reached out and left a phone number and I was able to reach them.   They escalated it to the urgent matter technical team.  They also reached out and left a phone number and we connected     So for all of that, thank you so much for your help,   Communication is so important and I felt very let down previously.

The "solution" makes no sense but I will go with it.  The tech person (who is very nice and has been in tech support for 9 years) wants me not to use the Nokia 1020 anymore.  They want to give me a new phone.  They said they preferred I not even use Nokia but understood if I needed to stay in that Windows eco-system.   I have had a Nokia 900, 920 and 1020 - which I paid for retail and love.

I agreed to let them swap it with a Nokia 1520.  Now they are seeking permission to do so because there are no refurbs and they will have to send a new one.   I will hear back Monday on this.  I am fairly optimistic given that I don't even want to change phones and am certainly not willing to take a downgrade.  I will also get a new SIM.

So again, thank you for monitoring these posts and taking action on my behalf.   It is half the battle!  Now let's hope this works and this turns out to be some bizarre bug in the 1020.

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

10 years ago

I appreciate that this problem got escalated to very pleasant people who stayed in touch with me.

However, I am upset because I have been told:

a)   The likely problem is a software issue with the 1020 that I spent over $700 for and a $60 grip/battery accessory  (I have had the 900 and 920 as well). 

b)   The solution is to get me off the 1020 and on to another phone.  It was mentioned that ideally I should consider anything but Nokia.....but at this time I wish to remain in a  Windows ecosystem.  I really like their phone OS.

c)   The ONLY phone that is not a significant downgrade is the 1520.  In fact I consider the 1520 to be lateral because while it has some nice features - it is also missing the amazing camera of the 1020.

d)   ATT has no refurbished 1520s and is unwilling to give me a new one.   I was urged to go on the ATT Next plan or use an upgrade to get the 1520.  

SO... solving a technical issue (which essentially seems quite disparaging to the quality of the phone and your continued selling of it) means I have to either downgrade or give up my upgrade.  That is not fixing anything.  It is shoving the problem under the rug.  While I do understand the necessity to rely on refurbished units for warranty replacements in most cases, I think under the circumstances (a technical issue not of my doing) and having been a customer for nearly 10 years with monthly bills about $100  (only recently went down when your rates really dropped), ATT should be sending me a new 1520.   Absent that solution, I will have to decide if I remain a customer given my 1020 may or may not work when I need it during travel periods.   It is a shame.  I have had a good relationship with ATT but now is the time to have ATT show a gesture in return.

Mentor

• 

74 Messages

10 years ago

It is unbelievable that the representatives would not document what was said to me.  I called three times to ask them to just jot down what they said to me as far as not using the 1020.  No return call.  I called back to customer service - no call back.

Filed a Notice of Dispute with ATT legal department today in Atlanta.  I also got a new version of the firmware and OS that may address the issue  (pushed through directly by Microsoft/Nokia) and will have access to 8.1 next week.

And never received bill credit for the outages in Feb. and March ( I did receive credit for January).  Very shameful treatment of customers.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.