Need help understanding your bill?
danielelivorno's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Wednesday, September 11th, 2013 5:16 PM

Informations for future international user

My name is Daniele, I'm an Italian citizen and from 28th of September to 7th December I'll stay in the US for study. I would like to know if I can make with an AT&T sim a DataPro 3Gb service and the international plan, with which I can pay $3.99 per month to call at $0.09/$0.26 in Italy, both only for two months. If this is possible do I need to buy a smartphone in the US or I can use my Euopean Samsung Galaxy S duos (or the S III which is also available for me)?

Thank you for your answers,

Daniele

[edited for privacy]

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

Unfortunately yes , you will need to have the voice plan active to use the 3GB plan and the world connect .

I totally agree with the GoPhone option for $65 -- it automatically gives you about 250 minutes to use internationally , so the bill will not change

You're welcome again , I feel like whatever choice you make , you will be satisfied ! 🙂

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

Sounds good, and Hello! You're able to do that option for just two months, you will have to activate your devices as a Customer Owned Equipment or Bring your own device. No contract is required, but you may have to pay an activation fee. Click here to look at other information about it, and details.

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

Also, a Voice Plan is Required for use, so you would actually need more than the 3Gb data plan, and the $3.99 world calling plan.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thank you very much for your availability, your answer It's a pleasure for me. Otherwise I still have some difficulties to untagle from all the available AT&T offers and I don't understand which one is the best for my needs, then I would like, if possible, to ask you some questions:

From the image above (GoPhone prepaid plans):

As you can see I've made a square which includes the "Smartphone plans". Since I use a smartphone, could you tell me if these are the only plans available for me or if I can also apply for a Basic/quick messaging phone plans? And also, the Data Device plans (not showed in the image) are a possible alternative option or they are specific for other devices? (The DataConnect 3Gb at $30 per month would be the best solution for me but I don't know if It's available for smartphones).

Finally I don't understand the difference between the two senteces of your answer "Customer Owned Equipment" and "Bring your own device", could you explain them to me please?

Thank you very much for your availability and sorry for stressing you and for my english errors.

Daniele Dallimonti

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

You're welcome! It's okay, about the English errors, think I understand what you're asking. Smiley Happy

• Customer Owned Equipment(COE) and Bring Your Own Device(BYOD) -- That's when you already have your phone with your now, usually an unlocked phone, that you just need service for. My understanding earlier is that you already have your own personal phone, right?

• If you go for the GoPhone option for your Smartphone, the 3Gb plan will not be available, sorry But you can get up to 250 International Minutes for $5 a month with GoPhone as well, which is what you wanted.  

• And you do have the Option to get a Quick Messaging plan; you will need a Quick Messaging Phone to use.

I hope that I've answered all of your questions in complete, I believe that I'm understanding what you're asking.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

First of all thank you for your answer, you have perfectly understood what I'm asking to you and I'm gratefull for the time that you're giving to me because of my ignorance in the argument.

Yes It's right, I already have a phone (exactly a Samsung Galaxy S duos smartphone) then I only need a service for it, and the type of service that I would need is a good plan for international calls and a data service.

Specifically for the internetional calls this is the service that I would like to activate:

(Image taken from AT&T site at this link http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/international/long-distance/in-the-us.jsp with Italy as selected country)

But my problems regard the data plan, I don't understand which solutions are avaible for me and, between these, which is the best one. Specifically a good plan for me would have 1Gb 3G data, at least, independently from available minutes/messagges to US wireless/home phones (I don't need both), and this for only two-months. Now I show you some options and It would be nice if you could tell me which of these I can choose and which one would be the best for me:

This is a DataPro 3Gb Smartphone-Individual plan (choosen from this page http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans-new.html#fbid=dQ-Mn2Ivh0m😞

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

(Images taken from AT&T site at this page http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/datapro3gb-smartphone4glte-sku5470232.html?source=IC95ATPLP00PSP00L&wtExtndSource=spinddata3gb)

This would be great but, If I correctly understand from your last answer, I cannot choose this as 2 month-only plan.

These are other solution, specifically Wireless Prepaid GoPhone plans, that I've seen:

(Image taken from this page http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/plans/prepaidplans.html)

In this case the best solution for me would be the $60 plan because is the only one with enough Data, but (adding other 4 dollars for the international plan) this wouldn't be really cheap.

Finally I show this (from the same page of above image):

This has a really interesting $35 unlimited Data plan, but If I say correctly this is not available for smartphones but only for Quick Messaging Phones (and to tell the truth I don't know what kind of phones they are).

This is it, I thank you so much if you have had the patience to read all this and sorry for bothering you.

Daniele Dallimonti

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

My pleasure danielelivorno, and I'm not trying to be rude; I love helping people to the best of my abilities. But those plan options will not work together.

The AT&T World Connect Plan & the 3Gb Data Plan only works for the Post-Paid Services. This will not work for the GoPhone plan Options.

If you really and truly want to use the AT&T World Connect and 3Gb Data Plan, you will need to choose a plan option from here. The best option on that page is the Nation 450 with Rollover and 5000 Nights and Weekend minutes for $40. With this plan, you will be able to use the 3Gb Data Plan for $30, and the World Connect plan for $3.99.

The $60 plan from your images that was posted cannot work with those plans, I apologize.

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

And by BEST PLAN, I meant the Cheapest option.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks, You're not absolutely rude, the problem is mine that I'm not able to understand the plans and the solutions that are available for me. Now I'll try to explain to you what I've learned so far to understand if It's correct:

If I want a plan with AT&T World connect ($3,99 per month) and 3Gb Data Plan ($30 per month) I also need a Post-paid service, then I must add a voice plan (I cannot choose pay-per use), from the page that you linked to me, and the best one would be Nation 450 with Rollover ($40 per month). This mean that with this cheapest solution I have to pay $73.99 per month and also I must do a contract for 2 years at least. Is this correct? Obviously, If the answer is yes, this solution is not possible for me because my first necessity is to stop my plan after only 2 months, independently from the price of the plan itself.

If I want I can choose GoPhone for only two month, but I cannot have the AT&T World connect nor 3Gb Data Plan options and the only available solution, with more than 1Gb data, for smartphone is this:

Right?

Othewise I cannot choose this $35 solution because it's not reserved for smartphones but only for Basic/quick messaging phones, right?

This mean that If I want enough 3G Data (the second most important thing after the 2 months cap lenght for the plan) I have to spend $60 per month and to give up the the idea of AT&T World Connect. Am I right?

Are there any other solutions which might be cheaper with more than 1Gb 3G data? If no, I'll probably choose this $60 option and I'll pay fully for my international calls.

Thank you for your patience and your time dtsxonxchoppas

Best regards,

Daniele

Scholar

• 

75 Messages

11 years ago

Wow! That's right, we're starting to understand each other now.. Good news is -- Since you already have a Smartphone, you can just add service for the Post-Paid account for Customer Owned Equipment (definition from earlier).

Whenever you add a existing Phone to an account as Customer Owned Equipment , you will not have to Sign a Two-Year contract. You may be charged an activation fee, but you will not have a Two-Year Commitment.

Whenever you come to the states, and is ready to start service. I'd visit the closest AT&T Company Owned Retail Store, and explain what you're wanting to do. I'm sure that they will know 🙂

P.S. Watch out for any AT&T Authorized Retail stores, some customers have bad experiences with them. (Radio Shack, Wal-Mart, etc.)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.