Need help understanding your bill?
cwashko's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Thursday, July 17th, 2014 4:11 AM

Identity theft

I had a horrific experience today with at&t. I signed up for a new contract last week over the phone and gotten my number i have had for over 5 years ported over to the new phone i received in the mail. shortly after receiving the phone i saw a promotion for a different phone that i really wanted (i didnt go through all my options when i signed up over the phone) so i called customer service to do the exchange. I was supposed to receive the phone yesterday. I called because the online status said "in progress" so i call to get an update. A woman said there was a problem with the address and transfered me to someone else. That guy investigates and connects me to a lady named jackie. She verified all my information and asked when my social security card was issued? So i gave her my birthday. I didnt know there was an issue date? but after that she said i need to return my phone to a store. I asked if they will do the exchange there? she said no. I asked when id get the other phone? She said you wont..... I asked why not?????? She accused me of fraud and said what im doing is illegal!!!!! I asked her what i will do for a phone? she said get a prepaid phone. Like im a criminal!!!!! I used MY information and ive had their internet service for almost 3 years!!!! she said if i want service i need to go to the social security office and get a certified letter saying who i am and bring my license and a utility bill to prove residence and apply for a new line. After the conversation was ended my service was cut off and i went back to my old carrier, who was not able to retrieve my number..... If i had only known the kind of service and treatment i would be getting i never would have involved myself with at&t. Now i have to take time off work to go to the social security office to get proof of who i am just to prove a point? Not even to get service because obviously they dont want my business. I was/ am extremely offended.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, cwashko!

Thanks for posting. I'm so sorry about your recent experience ordering a new phone. There are security measures in place that are designed to protect our customers and their identities, but it seems that in this case the switch triggered a fraud alert. We would be happy to look into this for you, so please click here to send us a private message.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

i have gone through a nightmare these past 2 weeks after being accused of a criminal and trying to prove who i am, even after ive had internet service through uverse for years. ive spent many MANY hours of my own personal time, getting time off work, and money trying to resolve this and the result was nothing in return. i was charged for a phone i never received, $153.59 has been out of my account for almost 2 weeks the whole time while my service is cut off. i had to spend $60 to get my prepaid phone back on. and after all of this i have gone through you guys will not credit me ANYTHING to my account. in return of everything i have gone through, you guys would rather lose me as a customer, with 2 services. and this forum will not even let me send a message from the link provided in the response. i used 2 different browsers too

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

10 years ago

Identity theft is a horrible thing. But it isn't AT&T fault. In fact, had they not done this, you might never know someone else may be using your identity till they cleaned out your accounts or ran up credit in your name.

I suggest you run your credit report and make sure everything on it is yours.

It may be an unpleasant situation, but it could be much worse.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

seriously, so out of my rant you thought i was upset about the issue of identity theft???? its not their fault they wrongfully accused me of being a criminal????? of terminating a paying customers service???? for NOTHING????? i understand this stuff happens, but i check my credit report every year, theres nothing on it. they didnt have another customer using my social. it was THEIR ERROR! and all of that is ok because "it could be worse" ya and getting your head blown off could be worse than losing an arm, but that doesnt make it a pleasant situation. thanks for the suggestion though.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.