Need help understanding your bill?
dailyfield's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 7:51 PM

Closed

I was mislead on phone insurance

I am in a tough spot here - when I got a new phone and renewed my contract, the representative brought up the insurance plan for my phone. I asked some questions about it and was told that everything was 100% covered. Well after about a year of paying into the insurance, the buttons on the bottom of my phone stopped working and I was told that to get it fixed I would need to pay $200!!

Paying monthly for insurance I was told would cover everything 100% is a far cry from having to pay $200 when I have an issue.

I am pretty upset with AT&T at this point and will have to look into what options I have when I get home tonight. I am hopeful that since I was told the insurance coveres everything, AT&T will fulfill their agreement without too much trouble. If anyone from AT&T is mornitoring the message boards, I would appreciate some help.

I know I had to use the message boards to get UVERSE set up at my house after 3 months calling in to explain I bought a newly constucted house and it was within the service area (houses on 4 sides used uverse) but my address was not yet in their system.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@scottnfrancy wrote:

Got it.  All of that was exlpained.  What was not explained was a $199 deductible.  When we took the phone to the Apple Store they told us it would cost $269 to replace the phone.  Why would it cost $650 to replace the phone with AT&T?  

1. the 269 price from apple is a refurb not a new device

2. without insurance the replacement cost of the device is full retail unless the line is upgrade eligible.

3. the deductable is explained on the pamphlet and on the web site

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/mobileinsurance-sku1040075.html#fbid=d9tMQGgvsRG

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Also, the replacement price for apple's assumes a certain minimum condition of the phone, IIRC. Totalled phones and lost/stolen are not applicable.

-Alex

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

10 years ago

All Scott asked for is truth in advertising. A little honesty on AT&Ts part would help. Scott was mislead by the AT&T salesperson. He's unhappy with the $199 deductible, understandably. Look at how often this complaint arises.

Unfortunately AT&T seems content to take people like Scott's money, knowing full well that he wouldn't have signed up for insurance if the salesperson was forthright with true cost of insurance. Disgusting.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@kpryan1982 wrote:
All Scott asked for is truth in advertising. A little honesty on AT&Ts part would help. Scott was mislead by the AT&T salesperson. He's unhappy with the $199 deductible, understandably. Look at how often this complaint arises.

Unfortunately AT&T seems content to take people like Scott's money, knowing full well that he wouldn't have signed up for insurance if the salesperson was forthright with true cost of insurance. Disgusting.

truth in advertising? Sure here you go

http://www.att.com/shop/wireless/services/mobileinsurance-sku1040075.html#fbid=eGr9FmsUND8

Advertising for the mobile insurance with the deductable clause fully documented, same with the paperwork that is available at the retail location, again all terms are documented, there is no false advertising. Not reading paperwork is no false advertising. I would upload a scanned copy of the documentation for the insurace but the file size is way to large.

deductable.PNG

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

10 years ago

Wingrider, I think if you take the time to read both Scott and my posts, you'll find that we were dissatisfied by the salespersons failure to disclose the true cost of insurance, ie the deductible of $199. Perhaps you think this is ok, you're entitled to your opinion. I would disagree with you. And if I take the word of AT&T employees who have commented on this topic in the past, it's AT&Ts policy to have their salespeople verify that they informed the customer of the $199 deductible at point of sale. In Scott's case, the salesperson failed to live up to AT&Ts customer service standards. He is right to complain, he was mislead by dishonest sales tactics.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@kpryan1982 wrote:
Wingrider, I think if you take the time to read both Scott and my posts, you'll find that we were dissatisfied by the salespersons failure to disclose the true cost of insurance, ie the deductible of $199. Perhaps you think this is ok, you're entitled to your opinion. I would disagree with you. And if I take the word of AT&T employees who have commented on this topic in the past, it's AT&Ts policy to have their salespeople verify that they informed the customer of the $199 deductible at point of sale. In Scott's case, the salesperson failed to live up to AT&Ts customer service standards. He is right to complain, he was mislead by dishonest sales tactics.

Sorry failure to read a binding contract is not dishonest sales tactics. In all the years I have been with att, verizon, sprint, rogers, and other carriers have not had the pleasure of any dishonest sales practices fostered on my business dealings with them, but then I read everything I sign

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

10 years ago

Dishonest sales tactics refers to the practice of AT&T salespeople misrepresenting the cost of insurance. Did Scott make a mistake in not reading the contract? Yes. However the point is that he could have avoided this difficult situation had he not been mislead by his salesperson in the first place.

Please read and comprehend my argument before responding. You're not addressing my argument, that Scott was mislead by his salesperson. If that practice is ok by you, fine. But Scott, myself and even AT&T (at least officially) would disagree with you. Again, it's been stated here that AT&Ts policy is to verify that the sales person has informed the customer of the $199 deductible at point of sale. Scott's salesperson did not meet the requirement of this policy.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey kpryan1982,

I can see your frame of mind, The two of you had an idea what the insurance was, and it wasn't what you was hoping it was.

To clarify and avoid misunderstandings, Asurion sends an email with details about what's covered. Like most insurance companies, they expect you to be aware of it, or at least abide by it's terms. If there's ever a misunderstanding, you're free to contact them and clarify.

I'm sure if somoene saw an insurance saying that they will cover 100%, the next logical step would be to ask 100% of what, in what situations ect

When you're looking to get coverage on something worth as much my car, that's something you check on. If you have an idea about what coverage runs for various industries, getting that much covered, for $6.99 is in the range of too-good-to-be-true.

If you have a chance to send a proper message to ATTCustomeCare, you're right, AT&T wouldn't want to be providing incorrect information and we'll strive to submit a feedback on that representative to ensure correct information about this in the future. AT&T doesnt have the ability to negotiate for for Asurion's rates/deductible. Asurion is exclusively in control of their claims process.

-Alex

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

I'd like to thank everyone for participating. This topic has been thoroughly discussed, and this thread is now closed.

-Mariana

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.