For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
dailyfield's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Wednesday, December 11th, 2013 7:51 PM

Closed

I was mislead on phone insurance

I am in a tough spot here - when I got a new phone and renewed my contract, the representative brought up the insurance plan for my phone. I asked some questions about it and was told that everything was 100% covered. Well after about a year of paying into the insurance, the buttons on the bottom of my phone stopped working and I was told that to get it fixed I would need to pay $200!!

Paying monthly for insurance I was told would cover everything 100% is a far cry from having to pay $200 when I have an issue.

I am pretty upset with AT&T at this point and will have to look into what options I have when I get home tonight. I am hopeful that since I was told the insurance coveres everything, AT&T will fulfill their agreement without too much trouble. If anyone from AT&T is mornitoring the message boards, I would appreciate some help.

I know I had to use the message boards to get UVERSE set up at my house after 3 months calling in to explain I bought a newly constucted house and it was within the service area (houses on 4 sides used uverse) but my address was not yet in their system.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Hello, dailyfield!

Thanks for posting. I'm sorry to hear about the confusion surrounding your device insurance. When the rep informed you that any kind of damage is covered by insurance, he or she was correct.A device is eligible for replacement regardless of whether it has water damage, physical damage, or if it's been stolen or lost.

The $200 is the deductible. This deductible varies depending on what kind of device you have and gets you a replacement device. For more information about the insurance program and a list of deductibles, please click on the link below.

Mobile Insurance

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Dailyfield,

It sounds like there was definitely a misunderstanding. However, if the device is under a year old, you still have another option. 

AT&T devices are covered under a 1 year warranty. As long as the device has no physical damage (i.e. cracks) or water damage, it's covered for warranty repair or replacement. To learn more about warranty exchange and warranty support centers near you, click on the links below. 

Replace a Broken Phone

Device Support Center Locations

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

MarianaCM,

Thank you for your quick reply. I am aware of the differences between insurance coverage; having a deductable and what was expressed to me as "100% coverage". If I was told that the device was covered in 100% of the cases but I was required to pay a deductable - I would not be writing on this message forum.

Since I was told is that my device was covered 100%. This is a very different message from what I am now experiencing. After calling into customer service and being told I would have to pay $200, I looked up the mobile insurance website and read the terms. I am disappointed that when I signed up for the insurance and renewed my contract (I relied on the verbal contract and what I was told) that AT&T does not seem to be honoring their part of the deal.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

My device is over a year old so I am not sure if the AT&T warranty will cover me.

I would agree there was a miscommunication but I feel that the mistake was not made on my part. I chose to believe the representative (and yes, I asked them clarifying questions to make sure I correctly understood what they were saying) on the insurance policy, just like I chose to believe them on AT&T service charges and data limits. Had the insurance policy I agreed to been accurately explained, I would have instead taken out a rider on my home owners insurance to cover this cost. As is, I feel like I was defrauded by AT&T and now the response I am getting is not very sympathetic.

To me, part of operating a large business (especially one who generates a large portion of its revenue off of long term service contracts) is to honor its' agreements and in the case where there is not sufficient training for staff to explain products they are selling, they should cover the cost of their own mistakes.

Former Employee

• 

4.9K Messages

10 years ago

Dailyfield,

We would be more than happy to help! If you would like us to explore your options, please send us a private message by clicking here.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any other questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Mentor

• 

82 Messages

10 years ago

This unfortunately is a common theme on these forums. AT&T has thus far shown no willingness to fix what is a very anti-consumer policy of selling insurance through misleading sales tactics. Given the large number of posters with this same problem, it seems to be a systemic problem with AT&Ts sales staff.

OP I hope you will keep us updated to the resolution (or non resolution) of your issue.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

Hey dailyfield,

Really sorry for any misunderstandings. The insurance to my understanding covers every situation I can think of, lost/stolen, physical/liquid damage, electrical/manufacture issues out of or not covered by warranty.

That may have been the intention of the rep that you spoke to.

In just about every situation they will get you a phone for the cost of the deductible, without a new contract ect. Now although we try to typically go over the basics when you get it, the insurance company usually sends an email with the full terms of insurance.

-Alex

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

We are in the same boat!  I unfortunately spilled coffee on my wife's new iPhone 5, but we were thankful that we had purchased this wonderful insurance from AT&T.  After all, the salesman told us that it was 100% covered and a new iPhone 5 would cost upwards of $500 without insurnace if we needed to replace it.  We have since learned that we will have to pay a $199 deductible (and yes, I know how deductibles work) to get a new phone.  We also recently learned that the Apple Store would have replaced the device for $269.  That cost difference does not seem to justify paying the premiums, and it is certainly not the "$500" quoted by the salesman.  I understand "caveat emptor", but how about a little truth in advertising?  We have been AT&T customers since 2004 and I am beginning to reconsider my loyalties after this debacle.

Guru

• 

450 Messages

10 years ago

Hi Scottnfrancy,

Mobile Insurance covers more than just the physical damage that Apple would cover as well though their Out of Warranty Replacement progam. If you had lost the device  or if the device was stolen, Insurance would cover it, where Apple would not. If you had to replace an iPhone 5S that was lost or stolen, the retail cost is upwards of $650 ($550 for the 5C).

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

10 years ago

Got it.  All of that was exlpained.  What was not explained was a $199 deductible.  When we took the phone to the Apple Store they told us it would cost $269 to replace the phone.  Why would it cost $650 to replace the phone with AT&T?  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.