Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 17, 2012
12:41:38 PM
I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan. Can you do this?

I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan so my son can have it. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is This possible?

I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan so my son can have it. Does anyone have experience with doing this? Is This possible?

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 19, 2012 11:13:19 AM
(0)
Community Support

Is your son's line currently on your account or is your number the only one? If yours is the only line, the account will be closed when you port out the number.  Is the plan you currently have a grandfathered (no longer available) plan? The only way to maintain a grandfathered plan is if it's on a line that's already active. In other words, if your son already has a line on your account and the grandfathered plan is already provisioned on his line. If it's a family plan however, once your line is ported out, an individual plan will need to be provisioned, which will eliminate the grandfathered plan. 

I hope this answers your question! 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
Accepted Solution

I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan. Can you do this?

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 17, 2012 6:00:51 PM
(0)
ACE - Master
Usually not, especially if the plan is no longer available. Once you port out your number, the account is automatically closed.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Usually not, especially if the plan is no longer available. Once you port out your number, the account is automatically closed.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan. Can you do this?

2 of 4 (2,269 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 18, 2012 3:25:06 AM
(0)
Scholar
the only way to keep the grandfathered features would be to keep the account under your name.
Even if you do a Transfer of Responsibility into your son's name, it'll remove all of the old / expired features.

Software development
Mobile software development
WiFi security
Graphic design
3D animation
the only way to keep the grandfathered features would be to keep the account under your name.
Even if you do a Transfer of Responsibility into your son's name, it'll remove all of the old / expired features.
and if I've answered your question, click on the green checkmark to the right

Re: I want to switch my number to Verizon, but want to keep my old AT&T plan. Can you do this?

3 of 4 (2,239 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Nov 19, 2012 11:13:19 AM
(0)
Community Support

Is your son's line currently on your account or is your number the only one? If yours is the only line, the account will be closed when you port out the number.  Is the plan you currently have a grandfathered (no longer available) plan? The only way to maintain a grandfathered plan is if it's on a line that's already active. In other words, if your son already has a line on your account and the grandfathered plan is already provisioned on his line. If it's a family plan however, once your line is ported out, an individual plan will need to be provisioned, which will eliminate the grandfathered plan. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 4 (2,174 Views)
Solution
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments