Need help understanding your bill?
emtiv334's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 19th, 2011 2:23 AM

Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

I received a text message, an email, and now a letter from AT&T saying if I didn't stop using tethering on my iPhone, that my unlimited data plan would be removed and I would be signed up for a 4 gig limited + tethering plan.

1)  Wouldn't I have to HAVE a tethering plan before I could tether???  HELLOOOoooOO!!!  AT&T- pull your head out of your butt and get with the program here.

2)  Is it legal for a cell phone company to change your plan without your consent?

3)  If they do, I would imagine that would break the contract since that would not be the terms you signed the contract under.

4)  Anybody else being threatened with this?  Looks to me like AT&T just wants to get rid of all of us old-timers that still have unlimited plans.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

Ummm, tethering IS NOT hooking a device to a TV.  Know how I know?  Because I looked up the definition of tethering according to the AT&T website, it says:  Tethering lets you use your smartphone as a wireless modem or Mobile Hotspot for your PC or Wi-Fi-capable device.  

Since 95% of TVs are not Wi-Fi capable, that'd mean hotel TVs are not, in fact, a "PC or Wi-Fi-capable device".

Call them back and ask them to read to you THEIR definition of tethering and then how that applies at all to your particular case.  I hate that their reps can just lie to you time and again until YOU find the actual way things work and remind them of that.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

"same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted." 

Ummm.... a TOS is not an exhaustive listing of all things you're ALLOWED to use your phone for.  I may want to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless doorbell that sends a signal to speakers in my living room, that's not listed in the TOS; if I accidentally mentioned that on the phone with an AT&T rep would they be in the right to change my service plan?  Of course not, because by not explicitly forbidding it, AT&T left themselves open to it being used that way.

The TOS is a standard contract for BOTH sides that, just like ANY contract, only covers what it covers, nothing more.  If you and I sign a contract for me to sell you wood for two years at a given price and then after a year I decide I don't like the houses you build from my wood (or, in the case of unlimited data: my wood is worth way more than what I had agreed to).  By selling the wood to someone else,charging you more for the wood, or leaving our agreemnt unfulfilled in any way, I've broken the contract.

I'm not saying theirs isn't a smart financial decision, but something unlawful or unethical doesn't become legal and right just because it makes a business more money.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Timberly wrote:

"same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted." 

Ummm.... a TOS is not an exhaustive listing of all things you're ALLOWED to use your phone for.  I may want to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless doorbell that sends a signal to speakers in my living room, that's not listed in the TOS; if I accidentally mentioned that on the phone with an AT&T rep would they be in the right to change my service plan?  Of course not, because by not explicitly forbidding it, AT&T left themselves open to it being used that way.

The TOS is a standard contract for BOTH sides that, just like ANY contract, only covers what it covers, nothing more.  If you and I sign a contract for me to sell you wood for two years at a given price and then after a year I decide I don't like the houses you build from my wood (or, in the case of unlimited data: my wood is worth way more than what I had agreed to).  By selling the wood to someone else,charging you more for the wood, or leaving our agreemnt unfulfilled in any way, I've broken the contract.

I'm not saying theirs isn't a smart financial decision, but something unlawful or unethical doesn't become legal and right just because it makes a business more money.

tethering was never allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan even when it was available as a feature, if you had the unlimited plan and wanted to tether you where required to purchase a secondard 5GB data plan that was only used when the device was tethered.

They really need to sunset this discontinued plan to get rid of it once and for all.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I just got the wonderful email.  No letter and no text.  After on the phone for 45 minutes with people that either told me I was a liar or they had no idea how to work anything other than an iPhone they insist the problem is a mysterious app causing the tethering connection. I have never used tethering. It is turned off and always has been.   They kept asking me on the phone if I know what tethering is.  Seriously. And this happened two months ago and they threaten me to up my plan in one month.  guy on the phone says they don't want me to lose my unlimited plan, that I have earned it.  His boss may be telling him that but that is crap.  And I very rarely go over 2g. Once or twice in the past year i got close to 3g. Never higher. I am very upset and I am tired of being cheated out of my very hard earned money. Now, I did start to use my bluetooth ear piece to listen to musicwhen I run. You people have me wondering if that may be the culprit.  Not using it for Internet access tho. Very very upsetting to get this poor customer service. 

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Tethering is not to be confused with screen sharing or mirroring. If the OP is with a television that is not tethering. See above already provided definition. Tethering is sharing your data connection, not display. The OP is simply using a significant amount of data and displaying what he/she is using on another display. Please don't define what they doing as Tethering.

Voyager

• 

4 Messages

10 years ago

I have NEVER shared my data plan and I am getting this threatening letter. Please someone help us stop this

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Also, NO ONE that is in a current two year contract signed for the original TOS that was devised when they originally were given the option for unlimited. The terms of service have changed multiple times since that feature was allowed and although customers have been 'grandfathered,' the terms as towhat defines that has changed. The current terms for any unlimited plan state no Tethering (actually always have) and also that your data speeds will be 'throttled' (slowed) once a certain usage is reached. If a customer doesn't like those terms than a different plan or feature should be selected. As wingrider, he has current service with multiple providers for a reason.

Former Employee

• 

78 Messages

10 years ago

Ask* wingrider

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

10 years ago

@dhmcdr wrote:
I just got the wonderful email.  No letter and no text.  After on the phone for 45 minutes with people that either told me I was a liar or they had no idea how to work anything other than an iPhone they insist the problem is a mysterious app causing the tethering connection. I have never used tethering. It is turned off and always has been.   They kept asking me on the phone if I know what tethering is.  Seriously. And this happened two months ago and they threaten me to up my plan in one month.  guy on the phone says they don't want me to lose my unlimited plan, that I have earned it.  His boss may be telling him that but that is crap.  And I very rarely go over 2g. Once or twice in the past year i got close to 3g. Never higher. I am very upset and I am tired of being cheated out of my very hard earned money. Now, I did start to use my bluetooth ear piece to listen to musicwhen I run. You people have me wondering if that may be the culprit.  Not using it for Internet access tho. Very very upsetting to get this poor customer service. 

Your use of bluetooth to stream your music, especially if you are listening to music that is being streamed itself (Pandora, etc) may very well be the culprit that is causing AT&T to flag your account for tethering.....however listening to music over a bluetooth headset is definitely not tethering. I remember seeing someone else report a similar incident when streaming their music over their car stero via bluetooth and they had a very difficult time convincing CS that wasn't tethering.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Just got my threatening text, not too happy about it. 

Sorry if this was mentioned in here already just got tired of reading all the crap that I felt a need to add my own crap to the list. But I read multiple times that some like to explain the definition of tethering, fine, but can someone explain the definition of unlimited? I cant find anywhere that says unlimited and having a limit mean the same thing. 

To add to this I would like to say I was not teathering anything, I use my phone to stream video and watching it on my phone screen. The text sugested that I use wifi, good idea, however, I have att u-verse and let me tell you, what they call high speed internet is a joke. A cell tower where I am get 100 times better results that what I pay for in their internet.

That's enough for now, I'm busy.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.