Need help understanding your bill?
emtiv334's profile

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, August 19th, 2011 2:23 AM

Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

I received a text message, an email, and now a letter from AT&T saying if I didn't stop using tethering on my iPhone, that my unlimited data plan would be removed and I would be signed up for a 4 gig limited + tethering plan.

1)  Wouldn't I have to HAVE a tethering plan before I could tether???  HELLOOOoooOO!!!  AT&T- pull your head out of your butt and get with the program here.

2)  Is it legal for a cell phone company to change your plan without your consent?

3)  If they do, I would imagine that would break the contract since that would not be the terms you signed the contract under.

4)  Anybody else being threatened with this?  Looks to me like AT&T just wants to get rid of all of us old-timers that still have unlimited plans.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon by law cant do this anymore, AT@T is next on the FCC hit list. Verzion was forced to pay a 1.25 million dollar fine for trying to stop their tiered customers from teathering, turns out if you have a set data limit acording to the FFC you most certainly can teather, it's the unlimited folks that run into problems.

So if your teathering and getting a letter just tell AT@T your moving to verizon if they dont stop harrasing you, they will stop sending you letters and leave you be, they want your $2500 a contract. Remind them they are breaking FCC law by telling you how you can use your tiered data plan as long as they are leasing bandwith from uncle sam.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@fern420 wrote:

Verizon by law cant do this anymore, AT@T is next on the FCC hit list. Verzion was forced to pay a 1.25 million dollar fine for trying to stop their tiered customers from teathering, turns out if you have a set data limit acording to the FFC you most certainly can teather, it's the unlimited folks that run into problems.

So if your teathering and getting a letter just tell AT@T your moving to verizon if they dont stop harrasing you, they will stop sending you letters and leave you be, they want your $2500 a contract. Remind them they are breaking FCC law by telling you how you can use your tiered data plan as long as they are leasing bandwith from uncle sam.

care to supply some documentation - as a business customer of both sprint and verizon in addition to att for mobile services we are still required to have the correct plan that allows tethering.

With verizon - it does not matter - they only supply 1 data plan, their mobile share plan anymore which does allow tethering, if you try to do this on the grandfathered unlimited plan, the plan can and will be changed.

Again, want to see the validated documentation of what you are claiming

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Can the original poster clarify: did you tether your phone or not? It makes a big difference.

But as to question 3, yes, there IS a conspiracy to dump all the unlimited plans. ATT has declared war on you guys who still have it and will stop at nothing to get you off it.
Even if you win this round they will get you sooner or later.

@thepaulses if ATT sold gas it would work like this: You have to pay for 700 gallons at the beginning of the month, and at the end of the month, even if you have 690 gallons left, you have to buy another 700. For 2 years.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@harryspar wrote:
Can the original poster clarify: did you tether your phone or not? It makes a big difference.

But as to question 3, yes, there IS a conspiracy to dump all the unlimited plans. ATT has declared war on you guys who still have it and will stop at nothing to get you off it.
Even if you win this round they will get you sooner or later.

@thepaulses if ATT sold gas it would work like this: You have to pay for 700 gallons at the beginning of the month, and at the end of the month, even if you have 690 gallons left, you have to buy another 700. For 2 years.

conspiracy? more like a business decision to get rid of plans that are no logner available, just like verzizon is doing with their grandfathered unlimited plan or is that a conspiracy also by your definition?

Guru

• 

552 Messages

11 years ago

Yes.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

11 years ago

They made a bad deal and now they are trying to get out of it.  At the time these data plans were first offered unlimited meant unlimited and it applied to all data whether streamed to the phone, tethered or otherwise.  The constant changed in terms of service and redefinitions aren't valid since they were never agreed to by the purchasers of the plan who are forced into multi-year contracts.  Users are bound to the original terms but ATT is not?  I don't think so. This type of behavior wraps up false advertising, breach of contract, unfair business practices and all sorts of violations together.  They are basically harassing anyone who attempts to actually USE their unlimited data plan.  Shameful. 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@Redstone wrote:

They made a bad deal and now they are trying to get out of it.  At the time these data plans were first offered unlimited meant unlimited and it applied to all data whether streamed to the phone, tethered or otherwise.  The constant changed in terms of service and redefinitions aren't valid since they were never agreed to by the purchasers of the plan who are forced into multi-year contracts.  Users are bound to the original terms but ATT is not?  I don't think so. This type of behavior wraps up false advertising, breach of contract, unfair business practices and all sorts of violations together.  They are basically harassing anyone who attempts to actually USE their unlimited data plan.  Shameful.  And actionable. 

[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

usless for a discontinued plan - add to the fact if you review the binding agreements (TOS & FUP) you made when you go the plan, it states unlimited data, not unlimited data at un-throttled speeds. Besides all that will do is hasten the sunset of the plan that I suspet will be coming very soon - after all Verizon has already sunsetted their grandfathered plans. Where exctly are they advertising "unlimited data"? Have not seen an advertisment for this since it was discontinuted a couple of years ago - time change, items are subject to change - by the way ATT IS holding you to the original terms, the FUP was in place when the plan was in affect, so you have nothing to stand on at all. Good luck.

All this is about is taking personal responsibility to control the amount of data that you utilize during the billing cycle, if you cannot do someone will.  If you want to remove the net nanny on your data usage and stop being throttled, control the data usage or att will

Mentor

• 

63 Messages

11 years ago

Verizon hasn't actually ended their unlimited data plans. However, if you want to keep your original unlimited data plan they will not allow you to take advantage of a subsidy. AT&T took a different approach and just throttles data after a certain point on their old unlimited plans--so I'm not sure its necessary for them to simply end the old plans. Perhaps they will remove the subsidy as well at some point, but then again their is talk of all national carriers ending subsidies for everyone so maybe it won't make a difference.

Tutor

• 

13 Messages

11 years ago

back to my original question , what difference would it make as to how i use my data plan as long as i dont go over ?

mike

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

11 years ago

@bristolmrd wrote:

back to my original question , what difference would it make as to how i use my data plan as long as i dont go over ?

mike

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.