Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Aug 18, 2011
7:23:05 PM
Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone
Edited by pamelaz on Aug 18, 2011 at 7:35:42 PM

I received a text message, an email, and now a letter from AT&T saying if I didn't stop using tethering on my iPhone, that my unlimited data plan would be removed and I would be signed up for a 4 gig limited + tethering plan.

1)  Wouldn't I have to HAVE a tethering plan before I could tether???  HELLOOOoooOO!!!  AT&T- pull your head out of your butt and get with the program here.

2)  Is it legal for a cell phone company to change your plan without your consent?

3)  If they do, I would imagine that would break the contract since that would not be the terms you signed the contract under.

4)  Anybody else being threatened with this?  Looks to me like AT&T just wants to get rid of all of us old-timers that still have unlimited plans.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

I received a text message, an email, and now a letter from AT&T saying if I didn't stop using tethering on my iPhone, that my unlimited data plan would be removed and I would be signed up for a 4 gig limited + tethering plan.

1)  Wouldn't I have to HAVE a tethering plan before I could tether???  HELLOOOoooOO!!!  AT&T- pull your head out of your butt and get with the program here.

2)  Is it legal for a cell phone company to change your plan without your consent?

3)  If they do, I would imagine that would break the contract since that would not be the terms you signed the contract under.

4)  Anybody else being threatened with this?  Looks to me like AT&T just wants to get rid of all of us old-timers that still have unlimited plans.  [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

[ Edited ]
66 replies
(1) Me too
(1) Me too
View all replies
(66)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 10:47:03 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Feb 19, 2013 at 11:21:30 AM

back to my original question , what difference would it make as to how i use my data plan as long as i dont go over ?

mike

[Edited to comply with Guidelines]

back to my original question , what difference would it make as to how i use my data plan as long as i dont go over ?

mike

Re: Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

[ Edited ]
31 of 67 (9,454 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 19, 2013 1:00:18 PM
(0)
Expert

bristolmrd wrote:

mike

same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted.

bristolmrd wrote:

mike

same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted.

Re: Got a threatening letter regarding tethering and my unlimited data package for my iphone

32 of 67 (9,442 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 2:07:21 PM
(0)
Voyager

I too got a letter about tethering and I have unlimited. I have a iphone 4 with IOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken and just used it for Netflix while out of town and I get a text first about I went over 3GB by just whatching Netfilx when I thought I had unlimited. Then I call and they said it was tethered to my car which I listen to Pandora. So riddle me this my car does the same thing as my Bluetooth earpiece that was purchased from Apple and now they say this is tethering. So why do they sell Bluetooth speakers if your not allowed to use them? These are the same as Bluetooth earpiece your supposed to use to make driving safer right. Bluetooth is Bluetooth So in California you can't use a iPhone with a Bluetooth earpiece cause that is tethering by ATT logic.

I too got a letter about tethering and I have unlimited. I have a iphone 4 with IOS 6.1.3 not jailbroken and just used it for Netflix while out of town and I get a text first about I went over 3GB by just whatching Netfilx when I thought I had unlimited. Then I call and they said it was tethered to my car which I listen to Pandora. So riddle me this my car does the same thing as my Bluetooth earpiece that was purchased from Apple and now they say this is tethering. So why do they sell Bluetooth speakers if your not allowed to use them? These are the same as Bluetooth earpiece your supposed to use to make driving safer right. Bluetooth is Bluetooth So in California you can't use a iPhone with a Bluetooth earpiece cause that is tethering by ATT logic.

33 of 67 (9,298 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 2:22:52 PM
(0)
Expert

xx86 wrote:

1. the email on the 3gb is the simple fact that you exceeded it, so you are being throttled, at the start of your next billing cycle the throttling will be removed until you exced the limits again then you wil be throttled. there are dozens of threads on this, it is documented in the terms of service and the fair use policy and is well within any carriers rights to do this.

2. blue tooth audio to a stereo system is a little different then blue tooth to a headset device, it can and will occasional trigger a false indication of a tehtered connection depending on the version of bluetooth and the age of teh device that is being connected to. Not much of a lot of wiki's but this is one of the better ones that I have seen that keeps it if fairly regualr laymans terms - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

I only utilize the bluetooth on my device to connect to my phone, if I want music I have a 1TB passport plugged into the Sync system in the car for music

xx86 wrote:

1. the email on the 3gb is the simple fact that you exceeded it, so you are being throttled, at the start of your next billing cycle the throttling will be removed until you exced the limits again then you wil be throttled. there are dozens of threads on this, it is documented in the terms of service and the fair use policy and is well within any carriers rights to do this.

2. blue tooth audio to a stereo system is a little different then blue tooth to a headset device, it can and will occasional trigger a false indication of a tehtered connection depending on the version of bluetooth and the age of teh device that is being connected to. Not much of a lot of wiki's but this is one of the better ones that I have seen that keeps it if fairly regualr laymans terms - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bluetooth

I only utilize the bluetooth on my device to connect to my phone, if I want music I have a 1TB passport plugged into the Sync system in the car for music

34 of 67 (9,295 Views)
(1)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 26, 2013 9:13:12 PM
(1)
Guru
Edited by ujmnz on Mar 26, 2013 at 9:21:14 PM

As a former employee, i've seen the policy that mentions bluetooth. So many employees don't know how to read (i'm mainly talking about trainers/supervisors, as they are the ones that tell the employees the incorrect info).

The policy says that bluetooth can be used to tether, that's true. But according to att policy "Tethering is a wireless or wired method in which your AT&T mobile device is used as a modem or router to provide a Internet Access connection to other devices, such as laptops, netbooks, tablets, smartphones, other phones, USB modems, network routers, mobile hotspots, media players, gaming consoles, and other data-capable devices"

Using pandora in the car with bluetooth is no different than plugging a regular 3.5mm headset into the phone. If any employee tells you differently ask them to re-read the policy again. You aren't passing internet access/data to the stereo. Just the audio.

As a former employee, i've seen the policy that mentions bluetooth. So many employees don't know how to read (i'm mainly talking about trainers/supervisors, as they are the ones that tell the employees the incorrect info).

The policy says that bluetooth can be used to tether, that's true. But according to att policy "Tethering is a wireless or wired method in which your AT&T mobile device is used as a modem or router to provide a Internet Access connection to other devices, such as laptops, netbooks, tablets, smartphones, other phones, USB modems, network routers, mobile hotspots, media players, gaming consoles, and other data-capable devices"

Using pandora in the car with bluetooth is no different than plugging a regular 3.5mm headset into the phone. If any employee tells you differently ask them to re-read the policy again. You aren't passing internet access/data to the stereo. Just the audio.

[ Edited ]
35 of 67 (9,276 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 2:38:13 AM
(0)
Expert

ujmnz wrote:

actually by your posted text it is not the same, the blue tooth connection for other then a hand free falls under the highlighted section and with my new Ford, with MyFordTouch, the car also utilizes the bluetooth connection to make the vehicle a personal hotspot.

ujmnz wrote:

actually by your posted text it is not the same, the blue tooth connection for other then a hand free falls under the highlighted section and with my new Ford, with MyFordTouch, the car also utilizes the bluetooth connection to make the vehicle a personal hotspot.

36 of 67 (9,261 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 7:45:27 AM
(0)
Guru
Edited by ujmnz on Mar 27, 2013 at 8:07:47 AM

Not quite, ip packets are not reaching the stereo when using Pandora. They reach the phone and the phone converts them to audio and sends that audio through bluetooth. Obviously the hotspot in the Ford would be considered tethering since ip packets would not stop at the phone.

I forgot to mention that one way to verify this is the case is by going to the bluetooth profile settings. For example, on my phone, when I go to bluetooth, and then click on my jvc unit settings,  the only profiles being used are phone audio and media audio. Nothing about data access there. I have an android phone, so i'm not sure if you can view these profiles on another os. But they all work the same. Most car stereos just provide a gui to control the pandora application within the phone itself and receive the audio.

Not quite, ip packets are not reaching the stereo when using Pandora. They reach the phone and the phone converts them to audio and sends that audio through bluetooth. Obviously the hotspot in the Ford would be considered tethering since ip packets would not stop at the phone.

I forgot to mention that one way to verify this is the case is by going to the bluetooth profile settings. For example, on my phone, when I go to bluetooth, and then click on my jvc unit settings,  the only profiles being used are phone audio and media audio. Nothing about data access there. I have an android phone, so i'm not sure if you can view these profiles on another os. But they all work the same. Most car stereos just provide a gui to control the pandora application within the phone itself and receive the audio.

[ Edited ]
37 of 67 (9,252 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 27, 2013 8:02:30 AM
(0)
Former Employee

wingrider01 wrote:

xx86 wrote:

I believe the first time you exceed the 3gb, you get a warning but don't get throttled. The next time he'll probably get throttled.

wingrider01 wrote:

xx86 wrote:

I believe the first time you exceed the 3gb, you get a warning but don't get throttled. The next time he'll probably get throttled.

38 of 67 (9,247 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Mar 28, 2013 12:22:02 PM
(0)
Contributor

I too received this letter and spoke on the phone with ATT.

I also watch movies through an HDMI phone attachment. And stream copious audio files. They said this is not tethering.  The TV does not access the internet.  It is simply magnifying the screen, similar to how hooking up speakers to your phone is magnifying the sound

My tethering is not even hooked up. I asked them to simply disconnect my tethering capabilities.  I have no idea why all of a sudden there is this issue..

Finally they said that it might be something in my cars computer/audio system causing the tethering problem and they said they were emailing me a down load to fix it.  But I never received any email

I find this all very disturbing, and very offensive, on the borderline of being bullied., Carl C

I also watch movies through an HDMI phone attachment. And stream copious audio files. They said this is not tethering.  The TV does not access the internet.  It is simply magnifying the screen, similar to how hooking up speakers to your phone is magnifying the sound

My tethering is not even hooked up. I asked them to simply disconnect my tethering capabilities.  I have no idea why all of a sudden there is this issue..

Finally they said that it might be something in my cars computer/audio system causing the tethering problem and they said they were emailing me a down load to fix it.  But I never received any email

I find this all very disturbing, and very offensive, on the borderline of being bullied., Carl C

39 of 67 (9,213 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Apr 2, 2013 12:01:09 AM
(0)
Mentor

I also received the letter saying that I would be switched to Data Pro on the next billing cycle.  Next billing cycle was on the 27 of March and nothing happened.

I have a $35 data only plan and I currently do not have a voice plan, and Data Pro must be offered together with a voice plan.  So I think that is the reason they can not switch me.   So, What plan would they switch me to? Will they also add the Nation 450 automatically? If they do that I will cancel right away and go with T-Mobile monthly 4G

I also received the letter saying that I would be switched to Data Pro on the next billing cycle.  Next billing cycle was on the 27 of March and nothing happened.

I have a $35 data only plan and I currently do not have a voice plan, and Data Pro must be offered together with a voice plan.  So I think that is the reason they can not switch me.   So, What plan would they switch me to? Will they also add the Nation 450 automatically? If they do that I will cancel right away and go with T-Mobile monthly 4G

40 of 67 (9,152 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 1, 2013 2:09:16 PM
(0)
Contributor
I just got a text today saying I was being switched to a $50\mo tethering plan on top of my unlimited data. I called the number on the text and talked to an account manager that didn't know a laptop from a bluetooth. They said I have no Other options, either accept the change or pay 2 $300 early termination fees since I just upgraded both phones and got locked into another 2 years 3 weeks ago.

The thing is I have absolutely not been tethering - dont even use Bluetooth for all those speculating about that. I do use a lot of my unlimited data though, usually 4 gb a month but last month I used 6 gb. Its garbage. I swear they waited until I upgraded on purpose.

Never got a letter - although I got a text about using tethering last February. I called and they couldn't tell me why they thought i was tethering- just that some magical all knowing software in their system told them so.

This is absolutely ridiculous.
I just got a text today saying I was being switched to a $50\mo tethering plan on top of my unlimited data. I called the number on the text and talked to an account manager that didn't know a laptop from a bluetooth. They said I have no Other options, either accept the change or pay 2 $300 early termination fees since I just upgraded both phones and got locked into another 2 years 3 weeks ago.

The thing is I have absolutely not been tethering - dont even use Bluetooth for all those speculating about that. I do use a lot of my unlimited data though, usually 4 gb a month but last month I used 6 gb. Its garbage. I swear they waited until I upgraded on purpose.

Never got a letter - although I got a text about using tethering last February. I called and they couldn't tell me why they thought i was tethering- just that some magical all knowing software in their system told them so.

This is absolutely ridiculous.

41 of 67 (8,997 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 3, 2013 8:23:32 AM
(0)
Community Support

cccarino wrote:

It could very well be a setting in your car's audio system. I'm sorry you didn't receive the email as promised. Send us a Private Message with your account number, email address and best contact number. We'd be happy to look at this in more detail. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

cccarino wrote:

It could very well be a setting in your car's audio system. I'm sorry you didn't receive the email as promised. Send us a Private Message with your account number, email address and best contact number. We'd be happy to look at this in more detail. 

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions here.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

42 of 67 (8,954 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 2:50:11 PM
(0)
Contributor

Ummm, tethering IS NOT hooking a device to a TV.  Know how I know?  Because I looked up the definition of tethering according to the AT&T website, it says:  Tethering lets you use your smartphone as a wireless modem or Mobile Hotspot for your PC or Wi-Fi-capable device.  

Since 95% of TVs are not Wi-Fi capable, that'd mean hotel TVs are not, in fact, a "PC or Wi-Fi-capable device".

Call them back and ask them to read to you THEIR definition of tethering and then how that applies at all to your particular case.  I hate that their reps can just lie to you time and again until YOU find the actual way things work and remind them of that.

Ummm, tethering IS NOT hooking a device to a TV.  Know how I know?  Because I looked up the definition of tethering according to the AT&T website, it says:  Tethering lets you use your smartphone as a wireless modem or Mobile Hotspot for your PC or Wi-Fi-capable device.  

Since 95% of TVs are not Wi-Fi capable, that'd mean hotel TVs are not, in fact, a "PC or Wi-Fi-capable device".

Call them back and ask them to read to you THEIR definition of tethering and then how that applies at all to your particular case.  I hate that their reps can just lie to you time and again until YOU find the actual way things work and remind them of that.

43 of 67 (8,814 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 25, 2013 3:11:29 PM
(0)
Contributor

"same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted." 

Ummm.... a TOS is not an exhaustive listing of all things you're ALLOWED to use your phone for.  I may want to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless doorbell that sends a signal to speakers in my living room, that's not listed in the TOS; if I accidentally mentioned that on the phone with an AT&T rep would they be in the right to change my service plan?  Of course not, because by not explicitly forbidding it, AT&T left themselves open to it being used that way.

The TOS is a standard contract for BOTH sides that, just like ANY contract, only covers what it covers, nothing more.  If you and I sign a contract for me to sell you wood for two years at a given price and then after a year I decide I don't like the houses you build from my wood (or, in the case of unlimited data: my wood is worth way more than what I had agreed to).  By selling the wood to someone else,charging you more for the wood, or leaving our agreemnt unfulfilled in any way, I've broken the contract.

I'm not saying theirs isn't a smart financial decision, but something unlawful or unethical doesn't become legal and right just because it makes a business more money.

"same response, if it is not listed in the terms of service, fair use policy and authorized types of data usage it is not permitted." 

Ummm.... a TOS is not an exhaustive listing of all things you're ALLOWED to use your phone for.  I may want to use my iPhone 5 as a wireless doorbell that sends a signal to speakers in my living room, that's not listed in the TOS; if I accidentally mentioned that on the phone with an AT&T rep would they be in the right to change my service plan?  Of course not, because by not explicitly forbidding it, AT&T left themselves open to it being used that way.

The TOS is a standard contract for BOTH sides that, just like ANY contract, only covers what it covers, nothing more.  If you and I sign a contract for me to sell you wood for two years at a given price and then after a year I decide I don't like the houses you build from my wood (or, in the case of unlimited data: my wood is worth way more than what I had agreed to).  By selling the wood to someone else,charging you more for the wood, or leaving our agreemnt unfulfilled in any way, I've broken the contract.

I'm not saying theirs isn't a smart financial decision, but something unlawful or unethical doesn't become legal and right just because it makes a business more money.

44 of 67 (8,810 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
May 26, 2013 3:51:33 AM
(0)
Expert

Timberly wrote:

tethering was never allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan even when it was available as a feature, if you had the unlimited plan and wanted to tether you where required to purchase a secondard 5GB data plan that was only used when the device was tethered.

They really need to sunset this discontinued plan to get rid of it once and for all.

Timberly wrote:

tethering was never allowed on the discontinued unlimited plan even when it was available as a feature, if you had the unlimited plan and wanted to tether you where required to purchase a secondard 5GB data plan that was only used when the device was tethered.

They really need to sunset this discontinued plan to get rid of it once and for all.

45 of 67 (8,780 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 7:56:13 PM
(0)
Voyager
I just got the wonderful email.  No letter and no text.  After on the phone for 45 minutes with people that either told me I was a liar or they had no idea how to work anything other than an iPhone they insist the problem is a mysterious app causing the tethering connection. I have never used tethering. It is turned off and always has been.   They kept asking me on the phone if I know what tethering is.  Seriously. And this happened two months ago and they threaten me to up my plan in one month.  guy on the phone says they don't want me to lose my unlimited plan, that I have earned it.  His boss may be telling him that but that is crap.  And I very rarely go over 2g. Once or twice in the past year i got close to 3g. Never higher. I am very upset and I am tired of being cheated out of my very hard earned money. Now, I did start to use my bluetooth ear piece to listen to musicwhen I run. You people have me wondering if that may be the culprit.  Not using it for Internet access tho. Very very upsetting to get this poor customer service. 
I just got the wonderful email.  No letter and no text.  After on the phone for 45 minutes with people that either told me I was a liar or they had no idea how to work anything other than an iPhone they insist the problem is a mysterious app causing the tethering connection. I have never used tethering. It is turned off and always has been.   They kept asking me on the phone if I know what tethering is.  Seriously. And this happened two months ago and they threaten me to up my plan in one month.  guy on the phone says they don't want me to lose my unlimited plan, that I have earned it.  His boss may be telling him that but that is crap.  And I very rarely go over 2g. Once or twice in the past year i got close to 3g. Never higher. I am very upset and I am tired of being cheated out of my very hard earned money. Now, I did start to use my bluetooth ear piece to listen to musicwhen I run. You people have me wondering if that may be the culprit.  Not using it for Internet access tho. Very very upsetting to get this poor customer service. 

46 of 67 (8,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:15:08 PM
(0)
Employee
Tethering is not to be confused with screen sharing or mirroring. If the OP is with a television that is not tethering. See above already provided definition. Tethering is sharing your data connection, not display. The OP is simply using a significant amount of data and displaying what he/she is using on another display. Please don't define what they doing as Tethering.
Tethering is not to be confused with screen sharing or mirroring. If the OP is with a television that is not tethering. See above already provided definition. Tethering is sharing your data connection, not display. The OP is simply using a significant amount of data and displaying what he/she is using on another display. Please don't define what they doing as Tethering.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

47 of 67 (8,168 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:21:02 PM
(0)
Voyager
I have NEVER shared my data plan and I am getting this threatening letter. Please someone help us stop this
I have NEVER shared my data plan and I am getting this threatening letter. Please someone help us stop this

48 of 67 (8,165 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:21:06 PM
(0)
Employee
Also, NO ONE that is in a current two year contract signed for the original TOS that was devised when they originally were given the option for unlimited. The terms of service have changed multiple times since that feature was allowed and although customers have been 'grandfathered,' the terms as towhat defines that has changed. The current terms for any unlimited plan state no Tethering (actually always have) and also that your data speeds will be 'throttled' (slowed) once a certain usage is reached. If a customer doesn't like those terms than a different plan or feature should be selected. As wingrider, he has current service with multiple providers for a reason.
Also, NO ONE that is in a current two year contract signed for the original TOS that was devised when they originally were given the option for unlimited. The terms of service have changed multiple times since that feature was allowed and although customers have been 'grandfathered,' the terms as towhat defines that has changed. The current terms for any unlimited plan state no Tethering (actually always have) and also that your data speeds will be 'throttled' (slowed) once a certain usage is reached. If a customer doesn't like those terms than a different plan or feature should be selected. As wingrider, he has current service with multiple providers for a reason.

49 of 67 (8,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 11, 2013 8:21:45 PM
(0)
Employee
Ask* wingrider
Ask* wingrider

50 of 67 (8,164 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 12, 2013 2:27:18 PM
(0)
Former Employee

dhmcdr wrote:

Your use of bluetooth to stream your music, especially if you are listening to music that is being streamed itself (Pandora, etc) may very well be the culprit that is causing AT&T to flag your account for tethering.....however listening to music over a bluetooth headset is definitely not tethering. I remember seeing someone else report a similar incident when streaming their music over their car stero via bluetooth and they had a very difficult time convincing CS that wasn't tethering.

dhmcdr wrote:

Your use of bluetooth to stream your music, especially if you are listening to music that is being streamed itself (Pandora, etc) may very well be the culprit that is causing AT&T to flag your account for tethering.....however listening to music over a bluetooth headset is definitely not tethering. I remember seeing someone else report a similar incident when streaming their music over their car stero via bluetooth and they had a very difficult time convincing CS that wasn't tethering.

51 of 67 (8,117 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 14, 2013 6:22:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Just got my threatening text, not too happy about it. 

Sorry if this was mentioned in here already just got tired of reading all the crap that I felt a need to add my own crap to the list. But I read multiple times that some like to explain the definition of tethering, fine, but can someone explain the definition of unlimited? I cant find anywhere that says unlimited and having a limit mean the same thing. 

To add to this I would like to say I was not teathering anything, I use my phone to stream video and watching it on my phone screen. The text sugested that I use wifi, good idea, however, I have att u-verse and let me tell you, what they call high speed internet is a joke. A cell tower where I am get 100 times better results that what I pay for in their internet.

That's enough for now, I'm busy.

Just got my threatening text, not too happy about it. 

Sorry if this was mentioned in here already just got tired of reading all the crap that I felt a need to add my own crap to the list. But I read multiple times that some like to explain the definition of tethering, fine, but can someone explain the definition of unlimited? I cant find anywhere that says unlimited and having a limit mean the same thing. 

To add to this I would like to say I was not teathering anything, I use my phone to stream video and watching it on my phone screen. The text sugested that I use wifi, good idea, however, I have att u-verse and let me tell you, what they call high speed internet is a joke. A cell tower where I am get 100 times better results that what I pay for in their internet.

That's enough for now, I'm busy.

52 of 67 (7,910 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 1:08:01 PM
(0)
Contributor

Got my notification yesterday.

I admit that I have used tethering in the past, but not in the last month, and only to check emails when travelling domestically -which is very rare and could not have consumed more than 10 to 20 MB, yes -Megabytes. This billing cycle I am sitting at maybe 160MB data usage. -And ZERO tethering.

But I do sense a common theme here. I just got the new GNote 3 just over a month ago, and I am on unlimited data.

Seems that ATT is trying to remove unlimited data all around. Again, typical monthly usage is no more than a couple hundred MBs...and I have stopped with any tethering, though I suspect it was not the actual tethering that is causing the email notification, but that I have my browsers set for desktop mode since I use browsers for checking emails as I have a yahoo email account that does not end in yahoo.com, so I cannot use the default email client to access that account -hence I go through dolphin HD, and it is set for desktop.

When visiting flipboard or Pulse, when I open stories that either have video or take me to web pages to view content, I select Dolphin as browser -which again, is set as desktop...which I am not about to change.

Either way, before changing phones, I was travelling domestically quite a bit (May through August) and tethering all the time (but not much data usage) and never received any threatening emails. but 1.5 months into my new phone contract comes this email.

Something smells...

Got my notification yesterday.

I admit that I have used tethering in the past, but not in the last month, and only to check emails when travelling domestically -which is very rare and could not have consumed more than 10 to 20 MB, yes -Megabytes. This billing cycle I am sitting at maybe 160MB data usage. -And ZERO tethering.

But I do sense a common theme here. I just got the new GNote 3 just over a month ago, and I am on unlimited data.

Seems that ATT is trying to remove unlimited data all around. Again, typical monthly usage is no more than a couple hundred MBs...and I have stopped with any tethering, though I suspect it was not the actual tethering that is causing the email notification, but that I have my browsers set for desktop mode since I use browsers for checking emails as I have a yahoo email account that does not end in yahoo.com, so I cannot use the default email client to access that account -hence I go through dolphin HD, and it is set for desktop.

When visiting flipboard or Pulse, when I open stories that either have video or take me to web pages to view content, I select Dolphin as browser -which again, is set as desktop...which I am not about to change.

Either way, before changing phones, I was travelling domestically quite a bit (May through August) and tethering all the time (but not much data usage) and never received any threatening emails. but 1.5 months into my new phone contract comes this email.

Something smells...

53 of 67 (7,857 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 17, 2013 2:56:28 PM
(0)
Employee

Att, in a passive way doesn't like the unlimited plans. No doubt about it, but AT&T will try to honor the plan it offered, as close as possible (throttling aside).

I suspect the emails are sent after relatively recent usage, which probably can mean within the last month or two.

When I had to try to speak to the tethering specialists on behalf of another customer, I was told that the notice was sent if there the system noticed repeat discrepancy between the access device and the requesting/ending device.

In theory, I can imagine any connection to any other device where information is transfered my cause that discrepancy, screen sharing.

If you have had tethering in the past, but not anymore, and you get not just one notice, but repeat, then the only reccomendation I can make would be to wipe the phone. Start over, don't install any hacks or service that would allow it.

-Alex

Att, in a passive way doesn't like the unlimited plans. No doubt about it, but AT&T will try to honor the plan it offered, as close as possible (throttling aside).

I suspect the emails are sent after relatively recent usage, which probably can mean within the last month or two.

When I had to try to speak to the tethering specialists on behalf of another customer, I was told that the notice was sent if there the system noticed repeat discrepancy between the access device and the requesting/ending device.

In theory, I can imagine any connection to any other device where information is transfered my cause that discrepancy, screen sharing.

If you have had tethering in the past, but not anymore, and you get not just one notice, but repeat, then the only reccomendation I can make would be to wipe the phone. Start over, don't install any hacks or service that would allow it.

-Alex

54 of 67 (7,849 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 1:09:44 PM
(0)
Contributor

"It's spelled out pretty clearly that 5GB is the limit of even the "unlimited" data plans"

Wow.  I guess people who look at other people and instead see dollar sign$$ can rationalize anything, and even get themselves and others to believe it.

"It's spelled out pretty clearly that 5GB is the limit of even the "unlimited" data plans"

Wow.  I guess people who look at other people and instead see dollar sign$$ can rationalize anything, and even get themselves and others to believe it.

55 of 67 (7,823 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 1:43:10 AM
(0)
Teacher
If they change your plan and you realize it within 30 days it is illegal and they have to let you out of your contract for free Smiley Happy just fyi
If they change your plan and you realize it within 30 days it is illegal and they have to let you out of your contract for free Smiley Happy just fyi

56 of 67 (7,797 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 5:45:38 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
Getting out of you plan by the company changing it, only works if you have abided by the terms of service. If you have done something contrary to the terms of service, ie: tethering, then you have broken the contract first and AT&T reserves the right to make changes.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
Getting out of you plan by the company changing it, only works if you have abided by the terms of service. If you have done something contrary to the terms of service, ie: tethering, then you have broken the contract first and AT&T reserves the right to make changes.
This is a user to user forum. I am a user, just like almost everyone else on the site.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

57 of 67 (7,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 7:48:42 AM
(0)
Expert
Edited by wingrider01 on Dec 19, 2013 at 7:49:36 AM

r.ashley wrote:

In addtion to the above post, the data plan is not part of the contract, it is a feature that is only required if you add a smartphone. Any changes to features are not eligible for the get out of etf free card. You can put a basic phone on the number, remove the data feature code at anytime during the 2 year contract with no reprecussions.

r.ashley wrote:

In addtion to the above post, the data plan is not part of the contract, it is a feature that is only required if you add a smartphone. Any changes to features are not eligible for the get out of etf free card. You can put a basic phone on the number, remove the data feature code at anytime during the 2 year contract with no reprecussions.

[ Edited ]
58 of 67 (7,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 10:12:53 AM
(0)
Contributor

My question is: if they are Capping or throttling service because of excess usage on unlimited plans, are they throttling or Capping overages that occur with people who have a capped Plan already? Surely they are doing this to avoid overages on their network as well. They wouldn't want to charge those customers all those overage charges, now would they . . . ?

My question is: if they are Capping or throttling service because of excess usage on unlimited plans, are they throttling or Capping overages that occur with people who have a capped Plan already? Surely they are doing this to avoid overages on their network as well. They wouldn't want to charge those customers all those overage charges, now would they . . . ?

59 of 67 (7,769 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 19, 2013 1:58:08 PM
(0)
Expert

arnisking wrote:

the only plan that is throttled is the no longer available unlimited data plan, for LTE it is 5GB per month all others it is 3GB. The plans such as the new mobile shared or the older 300MB/3GB/5GB are not throttled, if the end user exceeds the allocation they pay a overage charge.

Bottom line discontinued and grandfathered unlimited data, att monitors your usage, you exceed they throttle the line down until your next billing cycle, with the other plans it is your responsibilty to monitor your usage, you exceed and your checkbook will be the throttle cap.. Your personal responsiblity is to control the usage so you don't get overage charges, not the carriers.

arnisking wrote:

the only plan that is throttled is the no longer available unlimited data plan, for LTE it is 5GB per month all others it is 3GB. The plans such as the new mobile shared or the older 300MB/3GB/5GB are not throttled, if the end user exceeds the allocation they pay a overage charge.

Bottom line discontinued and grandfathered unlimited data, att monitors your usage, you exceed they throttle the line down until your next billing cycle, with the other plans it is your responsibilty to monitor your usage, you exceed and your checkbook will be the throttle cap.. Your personal responsiblity is to control the usage so you don't get overage charges, not the carriers.

60 of 67 (7,760 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments