Need help understanding your bill?
cmh1518's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Tuesday, May 6th, 2014 9:14 PM

Deceptive Sales Practice

I am trying to contact someone at the AT&T corporate office to file a formal complaint regarding the sales tactics and customer service I have experienced with AT&T. I have searched online for an email address and haven't found anything, so I am hoping that someone on here can help me direct me on how to file a complaint with AT&T. 

I recently switched my phone number to AT&T after years with Verizon because I was told the family share plan under AT&T would be cheaper than having my own line with Verizon. I joined another person's AT&T account and added my own line under her account about 30 days ago. My situation has changed and I need to transfer my line to my own account immediately. I was told I cannot do this because I purchased my phone under AT&T's Next plan. When the sales associate, Jennifer, sold me the phone she explained that signing up under the Next plan would be like leasing the phone and I wouldn't be under a contract or have to pay any early termination fees and I would be able to upgrade whenever I wanted to. This seemed to make more sense than buying the phone for a 2 year contract, as I was told I could upgrade to the new iPhone 6 in the fall without any penalties or termination fees. So I signed up for the Next plan. However, this is not the case. I am now locked into this contract for the next 18 months and cannot switch my line to my own name unless I pay the full retail price for the phone, which is $750! I asked the sales reps in the store and through your customer service line to please make an exception and either allow me to transfer my existing contract with the Next payment agreement to my own line and I could stay with AT&T or allow me to purhase the phone for the promotional price as I just signed up for this account less than a month ago. However, I was told there are absolutely no exceptions and I must the $750 if I want to have my own account. This is incredibly unfair as had I known that by purchasing through the Next plan I would be locked into an 18 month contract and would have to pay the full retail price should I need to change my account I would have purchased the phone outright with a 2 year contract and paid the early termination fee for ending my contract before the 2 years was up- which is considerably less than the retail price for the phone. 

The sales tactics to get me into this contract were incredibly misleading and the customer service I have been met with since then is subpar to say the least. I had Verizon for years and never was met with the kind of poor customer service as I have experienced with AT&T in the short time I have been with them. I want to transfer my line to my own name. If I am still staying with AT&T it doesn't make any sense as to why I couldn't simply transfer over my exisiting Next Contract- AT&T is still getting my money! So now, instead of AT&T gaining a customer who would be spending approximately $150 for the next 2 years, which is $3,600- because of your deceptive policies and horrible customer service, I will be leaving AT&T paying out the outrageous retail price, and taking my money elsewhere. In addition, I will make sure to share my awful experience with AT&T with every person I encounter, including those on social media so that the public is aware of how deceptive and misleading AT&T really is. I understand that policies are in place, however had I been told the the truth when I bought the phone I would never have signed up for the Next plan knowing it is in fact a contract that forces you pay full retail price for the phone should changes occur before your contract is up. Shame on AT&T. And what's worse, is I doubt any AT&T representative will actually care or respond to my plight- no matter, the public will care to know what kind of company this really is.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Yes I am in fact comparing apples to apples. I am curious, would you switch
carriers if your existing account is in good order all device insured and
in good condition. All devices out of contract and beyond time for upgrade.
The devices dont matter we could have gotten new devices from Veizon. We
were lied to by your salesman. his manager knows it I assume you do as
well. It just doesnt make sense to switch unless someone lied and told you
150.00 dollar discount for new business account with awsome credit. That
was the story, that was why we switched end of story.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

I did, 2.5 years ago, based on my own math and compared cost of Verizon to ATT.  

Werent your Verizon  lines discounted if all phones were eligible for upgrade?  

"We were lied to by your salesman. his manager knows it I assume you do as
well. "

My salesman?   And why would I know what was discussed?

This is not ATT.   This is a community forum.

If you are priced as a business, the business forum is also listed above.  They get cheaper line fees than personal accounts. 

Credits for porting are given after 3-4 billing periods.

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

I apologize I assumed you to be a AT&T representitive. I am more cave man
than tech guy, first time blogging. Thank you for pointing out that I am in
the wrongn spot.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I spent about 6-7 hours since yesterday with various departments of AT&T. In early January, I called to respond to a mail offer from AT&T and the sales person promised me AT&T Gigapower Internet (my community has coverage) and Direct TV for $80.00 + taxes and was charged initial shipping fee for equipment and scheduled a techncian. The technician arrived last Friday and proceeded to install the equipment only to tell me that I have only Internet45 and not Gigapower. He also mentioned to call At&T customer service to help correct the mistake. I have spent time with atleat 8 customer reps including AT&T, Direct TV, Gigapower and Loyalty program folks since yesterday with no resolution whatsoever. Now, when I ask to cancel everything you want me to take the equipment to UPS and ship it back to you.

I have been a long-time AT&T mobile customer and this is the worst service I have seen in my life with anyone I have dealt with. I think you guys have become too big to value your customer and are engaging in deceptive practices and shifting the blame to each other in your organization when questioned about the same.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

Wow.  Somebody messed up.  

This is the wrong forum however (we are wireless, aka cell phones) so I'm not familiar with prices.

Please message you comparing through the forum to @ATTDIRECTVCare 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

7 years ago

similar, upgraded by pre-ordering S8 just yesterday.  Informed local sales tax would not be subtracted from my account until the S8 is shipped.  BANG!! taxes out the next day.  when I inquired about it I was told that the local taxes are taken when processed.  I informed them that "when shipped" and "when processed" dont seem to be the same.

then they proceeded explain that "only if not separated and because pre-ordered, the taxes separated"  or something to that effect.  Detecting a business as usual feeling, I departed.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

For future record, not just for you...

In order to record the SALE on a specific date and time for promotions and preorders as well as regular sales, sales tax is collected on the date you order, and it's the official sale date.

This assures your place in the que for the new phone.   

(For example the iPhone 7 fall trade in preorder.  New phone had to be ordered by 9/25 to get the full rebate on the trade in). 

The person who took your order was incorrect.  Very sorry you were misinformed.  You can send a note on the goof to @ATTMobilityCare so they can correct the information given in the further.

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Perhaps we should initiate a class-action lawsuit in regards to AT&T's deceptive sales practices?  I'm pretty disgruntled myself after a recent experience with their sales people's deceptive bait and switch sales tactics.

Anyone interested?

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

By the way, things you can do as an individual consumer:

File a complaint against AT&T with the Better Business Bureau if you are subjected to deceptive sales practices.  You can file a complaint with the BBB here:

https://www.bbb.org/

File a complaint against AT&T with the FTC.  The FTC will investigate things where patterns emerge, such as in this case:

https://www.ftc.gov/news-events/press-releases/2014/10/ftc-says-att-has-misled-millions-consumers-unlimited-data

You can file a complaint with the FTC here:

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/?utm_source=takeaction#&panel1-1

Take advantage of your tax dollars by informing the FTC of deceptive sales practices so that they can take appropriate action and initiate proper investigations.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

7 years ago

@ApexAZ   The Supreme Court of the US says you cannot sue your carrier.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.