For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
Sarahnh's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Friday, May 27th, 2016 6:05 AM

Data

Why is it that there are times when I use wifi about 95% of the time and the only time I'm not using wifi is when I am away from home, why is it that my data continues to be used and disappears??? I'm not a happy customer right now. This is not the first time it's happened. When I call they never answer my question and keep asking to add more data for $15. No, I don't want to add more I want my question answered, my data to stop disappearing when I use wifi, and I want the lost data added back to my account!!!!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

If you have a newer phone, it will have a wifi assist. If the phone determines that your wifi signal is not strong enough, it will change back to cellular data. Turn off the wifi assist.

Set your phone so that updates only use wifi. Updates can use huge amounts of data is a short period.

Check your settings. See what apps are using the most data and turn them off to cellular data (unless they are critical apps for you).

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Sarahnh

I don't know how much data you have, or how much is being used, or what apps are using data.  That information would be helpful.

In general, a smartphone requires some data, even if on wifi 24/7/365.  This is why it is required to have at least some data plan on a smartphone line.

In some cases, a defective phone or apps can cause run away data, that information is in your monthly data usage on your phone.  

In addition, trouble shoot your home wifi.  Your phone may NOT be connecting to wifi.  Your smartphone is designed to connect to the best network available.  If your wifi is unstable, your phone will choose cellular.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Thank you all for responding. I'm going to try all of this and hopefully it will work. I have turned the cellular data off on everything except safari and myatt app. So hopefully this all works. Once again thank you and may God bless.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

7 years ago

Sarahnh,

I understand! My husband and I have shared data. We have been charged 3 times in the past week because of "overage".  ONe time I went to bed, phone off and when I woke up in the morning I had used up 1GB and was charged another $15!  We went into the ATT Store and was told we were using data. We have not changed 1 thing at all and we have had the phones for over 2 years. I always use wifi at work and have never had this problem. I just received ANOTHER text saying I have overage again and the store turned off my data. This is crazy. We are thinking of finding another company. I hope you have better luck then we have had.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.