For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Need help understanding your bill?
ConfusedC1's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, May 23rd, 2015 3:55 PM

Crazy data usage. 54 GB in less than a week...

We have a plan with 2 hotspots and 3 phones. Usual bill is around $400 for 60 gb. We usually never go over, until about a month ago.

Last month, we were charged $1000 in overage charges for about 66 GB of extra data (Tht's 66 GB over our and monthly data allotment). 

This month, for just one hotspot, ATT shows 54 GB of usage in just 6 days! We shut off both hotspots. The usage shows 5-6 GB used in some 3 hr increments. We usually don't stream much and both hotspots have passwords on them. We have been very careful to not to use too much data since last month's incident, but this seems crazy. Does anyone have advice or similar issues?

Thanks!

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

If you have a hot spot you should have a data calculator installed to monitor data used. While your cell phones have a data useage monitor in settings, which tells you what used data and how much, a hot spot does not.b

Meanwhile, streaming in HD uses 2.5 times the data. A default to HD may have occurred.

Please contact ATT about the overage. I agree, it is excessive.
You would be surprised what can cause continued use....
Outlook mail is blamed often. If mail gets stuck in the "out box" it continues to try to send.
Auto backups. Updates.
Good luck

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

9 years ago

For the period when 54 GB was used, I do not think any video was streamed at all. HD or SD. Also, no one on the account uses Outlook, but I guess that is an issue for any email account?

Also, I will check to see anything is constantly uploaded to the cloud or something. Thanks for the suggestion. I still don't see how this is possible...seems crazy. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

9 years ago

I have had a gmail stuck in the outbox, so yes, with any email.
Any sort of updates could really add up.

Others with hot spots find the only way to be sure they can control use is to turn off the hotspot after use.

A data meter is very helpful. It might reveal usage that you didn't expect.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.