Need help understanding your bill?
mclagett's profile

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

Thursday, December 19th, 2013 3:14 PM

Can we add a different area code number to family plan?

Same tired story I've come across on google....I got married.  My wife has a verizon account with a California number.  My AT&T account is a Maryland phone number.  I want to port her to AT&T to buy her the new iPhone 5s and get us on a family plan.  I go to Best Buy to pickup my online order and they tell me it won't let them port the number, but try to tell me to just get a new number and if I take it to an AT&T store they will port it for me.

Can it be done yet?  This is really silly.  These days people use their cell number for everything and asking them to abandon it is a difficult thing.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Former Community Manager

• 

10.4K Messages

10 years ago

That's right, Consumer Cross Market account can be set up for you. It's a very new addition to the system. Our team can help you with that, please send us a private message by clicking here, please include your name, phone number and the best time you can be reached.

Thank you,

Dmitriy

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

I don't think this can be done with consumer accounts. However, I suggest you send a private message to Community SupportATTCustomerCare to see if they can offer you any options. 

Alternatively, you could sign up for a new number, and port her current number to Google Voice for $20. 

Which, I admit, shouldn't have to be something you resort to, however it may be an option to explore.

That way she can

• Continue to give-out the old number,
  • Have Google Voice forwards her calls seemlessly to her new number,
  • Calls being made display the old number (granted they'll be routed via strange, but domestic, numbers that may appear on your billing statement. iPhone users will have to use the Google Voice app to dial calls rather than the dialer. Android Users will have to set up call interception, usually when you install the app, or in the settings.)
  • It will handle her voicemail featuring speech to text transcriptions 
  • Text from the respective (Google Voice) app for the phone.
  • Ability to use multiple devices to read/reply to messages.

Some limitations include

• Having to use the app (which isn't always the best looking app)
  • Can't send MMS (although Hangouts on Android, and iMessage on iOS can substitute well.)
  • Receive MMS from CDMA carriers only (ditto)
  • Received MMS is forwarded to the email

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

I read something about a CNI account which is like a business account but for regular individuals?

This is a huge hassle.  Wish there was something easier.

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

Could it possibly have been NCI?

Actually, I just found an interesting post by an AT&T employee. I'd follow up with AT&T Support (via phone, chat, or in an actual retail store), if I were you though.

aGuyWhoKnows wrote:
You can have cross market numbers on the same retail or NBI plan. Also, NBI accounts have the same plans as consumers, they are just referred to as 'Business Talk' or Business Mobile Share. Either way it's irrelevant, the system has changed and consumers should not have business accounts. Also, even if it is cheaper to 'add a laptop' to a mobile share plan in a business market VS a consumer market is irrelevant too. Business owners are privy to different discounts on different things because THEY OWN A BUSINESS.

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

10 years ago

In this case I believe it can't be done because the numbers are from different markets. I think they both have to be from the same market in order for it to be done so she may (or may not) have to give up the number which is from the California market.

Guru

• 

349 Messages

10 years ago

@Rayosun, this is exactly what I'm thinking, but if there was a change in policy very recently, it's defintely worth exploring all possibilities.

Guru

• 

552 Messages

10 years ago

I put numbets from 2 different states in a family plan without any trouble.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

10 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

Were those numbers from states that are close together?  I live in the DC area and we can have MD, DC and (at least) northern VA area codes on a family account even under old rules.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

10 years ago

@harryspar wrote:

ahh or you have a business flagged account

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

10 years ago

The issue isn't just different states, it's because they are from different "markets" supposedly.

This document says it should be possible now (https://www.wireless.att.com/businesscenter/en_US/pdf/1310-RN-Consumer-Cross-Market.pdf) but when I called AT&T 3 different times they have no idea what I am talking about!  Ugh.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.