Need help understanding your bill?
danhcheung's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Wednesday, October 5th, 2011 4:41 PM

Broke my smartphone, going back to non smartphone [Question]

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has been in the same situation as me.  I broke my smartphone (Captivate) recently and I want to go back to a non smartphone.  However, I just renewed my contract less than a year ago.

My question is: Am I allowed to remove the data plan I had?  I'm not using a smartphone anymore, so I shouldn't be charged the smartphone data plan, right?

Any insight would be helpful.  I would go to the AT&T store, but they're closed by the time I finish work.  Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Att seems to be proactive in offering lesser or cheaper plans to make your bill a little lighter. As long as you are still in a contract, you can change your plan up or down... Shouldnt be a charge as if you are "locked" into a certain plan, just a contract.

Call CSR and let them walk you though a lower nonsmart package. They should also ease your thoughts as to your question as well.

Scholar

• 

289 Messages

13 years ago

You can remove the data plan as long as att has the imei number in their system pertaining to whatever plan you get whether it be pay per use, data block, or non smartphone data plan.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

if the plan you remove is a grandfathered unlimited yo umay not be able to get it back

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

if the plan you remove is a grandfathered unlimited yo umay not be able to get it back

I completely forgot that part in my post. Yep, if you have an unlimited plan and want to keep it, you might want to leave things as they arw and just get another spartphone replacement....unless you are seeking to cut your bill payments to a minimum and are ok with losing the grandfathered plan (if any)

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your input everyone.  It's a new plan that I got this year in January with the 200MB plan.  I broke my Captivate and just don't want to deal with the smartphones anymore.  I thought I was stuck with the data plan even though I'm going back to my old Nokia phone (brick).

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

@danhcheung wrote:

Thanks for your input everyone.  It's a new plan that I got this year in January with the 200MB plan.  I broke my Captivate and just don't want to deal with the smartphones anymore.  I thought I was stuck with the data plan even though I'm going back to my old Nokia phone (brick).

And aint it something how the bricky Nokia STILL works!?! The simpler the more sturdy! I still have one of those in a drawer somewhere! 🙂

Well, glad you won't have any probs and it will be a smooth transition for you!

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

13 years ago

@RicoLX wrote:

@danhcheung wrote:

And aint it something how the bricky Nokia STILL works!?! The simpler the more sturdy! I still have one of those in a drawer somewhere! 🙂

Well, glad you won't have any probs and it will be a smooth transition for you!

We have 2 in a box.  They're our last ditch backups in case something happens to our newer, more "fragile" phones. 

Professor

• 

7.8K Messages

13 years ago

Lol I am beginning to wonder if these old Nokia bricks are the "true smartphones" afteralll.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@danhcheung wrote:

Your question was summed up very well by the other Community members here.

I hope that you enjoyed Android and your Captivate white they lasted! I really enjoy both!

Scholar

• 

186 Messages

13 years ago

And if you're trying to decide which phone to get, I recommend the Samsung Flight II. It is wonderful! It has lots of capabilities. I use mine for Facebook, email, You tube, discussion boards etc.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.