Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 23, 2013
4:57:33 AM
View profile
Adding Family out-of-state
Edited by dca10 on Jan 23, 2013 at 5:09:28 AM

My daughter has an AT&T family plan for her smartphone. She lives in NYC,NY and wants to add me to that plan. I also need to purchase a new Android smartphone. If she gives me her account info, pw and such, can I make this adjustment in my state? Also, will making this change allow me to buy my new phone at the discounted rate?How do we make this work while living in separate states? Thanks,  DA10

My daughter has an AT&T family plan for her smartphone. She lives in NYC,NY and wants to add me to that plan. I also need to purchase a new Android smartphone. If she gives me her account info, pw and such, can I make this adjustment in my state? Also, will making this change allow me to buy my new phone at the discounted rate?How do we make this work while living in separate states? Thanks,  DA10

(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 24, 2013 4:50:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Gregzoll, I think the OP currently has Boost and is wanting to join his daughter and switch to AT&T, so this is the appropriate forum.

DCA10, yes, if your line is new to AT&T, you would qualify for a new customer discount.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Accepted Solution

Adding Family out-of-state

[ Edited ]
7 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(7)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 23, 2013 5:31:53 AM
(0)
ACE - Master
With AT&T, you cannot live in different areas and be on a family plan. The phone numbers have to be from the same rate area. You will have to change your phone number to one from her rate area to be on a family plan with her.
If she does add you to her family plan, you can only get a phone at a discounted rate if you are already upgrade eligible on your current account. If you don't have an AT&T account, then you can get a phone at a discounted rate.
With AT&T, you cannot live in different areas and be on a family plan. The phone numbers have to be from the same rate area. You will have to change your phone number to one from her rate area to be on a family plan with her.
If she does add you to her family plan, you can only get a phone at a discounted rate if you are already upgrade eligible on your current account. If you don't have an AT&T account, then you can get a phone at a discounted rate.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Adding Family out-of-state

2 of 8 (1,817 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 6:33:58 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks. Since she was able to keep her number (from my state) when establishing her AT&T account, my number (same area code) could possibly be kept. Right? Moving from Boost to AT&T should also allow me to get the phone discount also. Again, right?

Thanks. Since she was able to keep her number (from my state) when establishing her AT&T account, my number (same area code) could possibly be kept. Right? Moving from Boost to AT&T should also allow me to get the phone discount also. Again, right?

3 of 8 (1,795 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 23, 2013 10:05:24 AM
(0)
Professor
Boost is a different company, so there is no way to answer that question. There is a Boost Forum, that you can ask regarding that service.

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

"Ren: Now listen, Cadet. I've got a job for you. See this button? Don't touch it! It's the History Eraser button, you fool!

Stimpy: So what'll happen?

Ren: That's just it. We don't know. Maybe something bad, maybe something good. I guess we'll never know, 'cause you're going to guard it. You won't touch it, will you?"

4 of 8 (1,775 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Jan 24, 2013 4:50:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Gregzoll, I think the OP currently has Boost and is wanting to join his daughter and switch to AT&T, so this is the appropriate forum.

DCA10, yes, if your line is new to AT&T, you would qualify for a new customer discount.

5 of 8 (1,756 Views)
Solution
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 7:47:41 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks so muck, kdfederer, for taking the time to help me! DA10
Thanks so muck, kdfederer, for taking the time to help me! DA10

6 of 8 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 7:48:42 AM
(0)
Tutor
Thanks,Gregzoll, for your help! DA10
Thanks,Gregzoll, for your help! DA10

7 of 8 (1,721 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 25, 2013 7:51:04 AM
(0)
Tutor
Bingo! Kudos for completing my query quest!
Bingo! Kudos for completing my query quest!

8 of 8 (1,715 Views)