Need help understanding your bill?
zhanghang1989's profile

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

Saturday, November 15th, 2014 2:06 AM

ATT Says USPS Changed My Billing Address and Mailed My Checks to Incorrect Place

Last week, att online chat told us our 10 deposit refund checks for share plan account were mailed to an incorrect address, and 4 of them has been cashed ($500 each). This week att told us the new checks were mailed to the wrong address again because of USPS!

We are international students, and applied att share plan account last year. Att store said we need to make $500 deposit for each of us, and the deposit would be refunded.

Billing address had been changed more than 10 times in background. I talked to the att online chat several times about the billing address be changed in background strangely before the checks were mailed. Everytime, they just told me to set passcode, reset passcode. But this didn't help at all.

Last week, I called the att service line. They told me they would first freeze the 6 left checks and do some research on these 4 lost checks. This week, they told me the new checks were mailed to the wrong place again because of USPS and ask me to contact to USPS.

I made deposite to att, why I should ask USPS for money? My att account billing address was changed at least ten times, and att tells me today that USPS did it. This sounds wired!

I went to USPS this afternoon, they don't know what's going on and asked me to come on Monday morning.

Does anyone know what should we do and who should give the money back to us? We are international students and have no idea who should help us.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

9 years ago

If someone went into a local post office and filed a "change of address request" in your name, then hte post office would ofrward your mail to the new address.  In addition, some post offices (but apparently not all) will notify the senders that your address has changed, so the sender can update their systems with your new address.  It sounds to me like someone may have done this causing your mail to be forwarded to them, and notifying AT&T that your address had changed.

If I were you I would check the address on file for you to see if it matches your address or not.  If not, then you might be a victim of mail fraud & identity theft.  As you can see, it can be easy for someone to make a few thousand dollars by doing this, just by cashing the AT&T refund checks. Regretfully, international students would be a profile where they might expect a large number of security depeosit refunds from different companies which could make such a venture very profitable for them...

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

Dear Jerry,

Thank you so much for your detailed reply. You help me understand what is happening to us. I will contact USPS on Monday morning and tell them the situation.

Thanks a lot!

Hang

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

9 years ago

This issue was finally solved after 6 months dispute, and hundred of phone calls. At the beginning ATT, USPS and Police Department kept playing me arround and no one would take responsibilities. Finally, a ATT financial team officer help me proceed fraudulent cashed checks claim and get refund from chase bank after 2 months investigation. 

I hope this could help some international students that had similar troubles. Don't give up to some troubls and solve it correctly.

ACE - Sage

• 

117K Messages

9 years ago

Thanks for posting the update. Hopefully your story will help someone else avoid the same problem.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.