Need help understanding your bill?
acheslow's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Saturday, November 6th, 2010 6:13 PM

AT&T says I can transfer my line without transferring the commitment? Really?

I'm looking into doing a transfer of billing responsibility so I can move to another carrier and avoid a hefty ETF on my 3-line family plan.

On my first call to AT&T I was told I could split the 3 lines and transfer each individual line to a different person.

After I hung up I wondered what kind of individual plan each line would transfer to so I called back and spoke to a different rep. She told me that each line would transfer to a month-to-month contract and the person receiving the account could keep it month-to-month, 'upgrade' to a 24-month contract, or cancel the plan. I asked if they would have to pay an ETF to cancel the plan and she said no.

After I hung up again I realized that this seemed just too good to be true and that it just didn't make any business sense. I called back later in the day and spoke to a 3rd rep. She confirmed my understanding on each of the points above and reiterated that each person to whom I transfer my contract would be able to cancel the contract immediately without paying an ETF.

Each rep spent time looking up my account and each of my 3 lines, so I don't think they were just giving a lazy answer.

Has anyone heard of anything like this before? Could it possibly be true? Might it have anything to do with how long I've been with AT&T or that I am a Premier customer?

Thanks!
Alan

Accepted Solution

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

@acheslow wrote:

OK, thanks. Two of my lines have over 11 months remaining. Do you know how long the new contract would be for anyone taking over those lines?

The contract will remain the same.

I'd also appreciate any clarification on these questions:

• If someone takes over responsibility for one line on my family plan, what plan would they end up with? Would they be able to choose any individual plan or would they be required to sign up for a minimum number of minutes?
    The new owner will be offered a new individual plan during the TOBR process.
  • What happens to the unlimited text on the family plan?
    It should be removed because each line would be separated in their own accounts. If one of the phone owners wants an Unlimited Messaging feature in his individual line then he will have to add the individual feature for $20.
  • What happens to the data plans on the individual lines?
    Depends. If they are smartphones they remain the same. If they are dumbphones and have the Family Data of $10 they will need to change it to the Unlimited Data of $15, this because the $10 one is only available for Family Plans with an Unlimited Family Messaging feature on it.
  • Will my corporate discounts transfer to the new person?

No.

I'm trying to understand what I'd be able to offer to someone taking over my lines and am not sure what they would end up with. If it helps, these are the details of my current account:

FamilyTalk Nation 1400 + unlimited text

During the TOBR the agents assisting the new owner will give them individual plan offers, they will need to choose the plans and features that fit their needs.

• Line 1 contract ends 4/16/2011 Contract is extended 11 months starting the day the TOBR is processed (NOTE: only extended, not accumulated with the current contract)
  • Line 2 contract ends 7/8/2012; includes unlimited data Remains the same
  • Line 3 contract ends 7/8/2012; includes 2 GB data Remains the same
Thanks!
Alan
You're welcome.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

Usually when a Transfer of Billing Responsibility is made the new account holder must accept an-11 month contract extension, this only if the original contract has less than 11 months remaining, so the information that you got from those agents may be incorrect.

Just as you said, it's too good to be true.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

13 years ago

OK, thanks. Two of my lines have over 11 months remaining. Do you know how long the new contract would be for anyone taking over those lines?

I'd also appreciate any clarification on these questions:

• If someone takes over responsibility for one line on my family plan, what plan would they end up with? Would they be able to choose any individual plan or would they be required to sign up for a minimum number of minutes?

• What happens to the unlimited text on the family plan?

• What happens to the data plans on the individual lines?

• Will my corporate discounts transfer to the new person?

I'm trying to understand what I'd be able to offer to someone taking over my lines and am not sure what they would end up with. If it helps, these are the details of my current account:

FamilyTalk Nation 1400 + unlimited text

• Line 1 contract ends 4/16/2011
  • Line 2 contract ends 7/8/2012; includes unlimited data
  • Line 3 contract ends 7/8/2012; includes 2 GB data
Thanks!
Alan

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.