Need help understanding your bill?
LamarWashington's profile

Mentor

• 

3 Messages

Tuesday, May 22nd, 2012 12:57 AM

Closed

AT&T, privacy, and business ethics

I just got this email from AT&T about my CPNI usage. Apparently they want to use my private info for marketing purposes. Here's what's wrong with that.

I'm already a customer, leave me alone. Stop advertising new services and products to your own customers it's an annoying waste that clutters the website, my inbox, and wastes time when calling customer service.

Second, they were going to take my private info anyway if I did not respond the long, confusing e-mail with unfamiliar abbreviations like CPNI. They are profiting from every instance of non-response. Most people don't have the time or don't care enough to contact AT&T and request not to have their privacy invaded.

The language used is deceptive: "By checking this box I am requesting that AT&T restrict the use of my CPNI." that's the quote. See, it seems like they are restricting you, because of the purposefully confusing language. In reality, they are being restricted. I wonder what they have to gain that they would phrase it in a backwards way like this, surely AT&T has no concern for clarity when communicating with customers.

Bad show guys. Most people aren't going to notice, the rest probably won't care, but I hope there are a few people who demand more from a company they pay thousands of dollars to annually.

Teacher

• 

4 Messages

12 years ago

The problem, Mr. AT&T employee, is that it isn't always easy to tell if something is a legitimate email. Therefore, just randomly "opting out" or responding to this type of "spam email" can get people into trouble if this isn't AT&T. I say, by default, leave people out unless they want to "opt in". [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@tvstimmyg wrote:

I am have the same problem everyone else is! Shame on you AT&T!!! Threatening to share my information unless I opt-out of this program, and then making it impossible to opt-out!!! I have tried online. I have called both numbers listed in the email. You owe your customers better than this. I have given this company thousands of dollars over the years for service that is faulty at best ("But, sir, my map shows that your home has excellent coverage"). Fix this and fix it now!

Do you get an error when you try the website? Can you tell me what happens? It seems to be working just fine. 

What happened when you called?

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

@dcsqueen wrote:

So how the heck do we "opt out"?

Instructions are included in the email (either use the online form or call in) as well as discussed in this thread. 

You can also search on www.att.com for CPNI, the first result is the opt out form. 

I've linked it here for you: https://www.att.com/ecpnioptout/InitiateCPNIForm.action

Tutor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I just did it an it worked fine.  I used the Account Number on my bill instead of my cell phone number.  Had no issues.  I actually did try it with my cell phone # first the way I log in to pay my bill and I received an error that way.

I suggest that everyone try it with their account number if they have not tried it already.

Twbips

Former Employee

• 

65 Messages

12 years ago

The problem, Mr. AT&T employee, is that it isn't always easy to tell if something is a legitimate email. Therefore, just randomly "opting out" or responding to this type of "spam email" can get people into trouble if this isn't AT&T. I say, by default, leave people out unless they want to "opt in". [Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

If you don't opt in, your preference is "Undecided", which requires for a rep to read a privacy statement, you can opt out during that particular interaction. If you want this changed, you can call customer support. They can change it for you. But even if you opt out, you may still be read the disclaimer when you call giving you chance to opt in for that specific interaction. Something so common and simple is creating an unnecessary outrage. It's not that big of a deal.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I clicked on your link that goes directly to the form to fill out. When I clicked to submit it, I got an error message saying that "We're having trouble processing your CPNI request. So I called the number listed. None of the options were for Colorado. So I called the number for 'other states.' Still no results. WHAT THE HECK IS THE POINT OF ALL THIS CRAP? HOW DO I SIMPLY OPT OUT FOREVER ON THIS SORT OF THING? AND, AS OTHERS HAVE SAID, WHY IS IT SO HARD TO OPT OUT?

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

12 years ago

I have been in the customer service business in some form or another since my first job at 16 and by God I have had it with this level of service.  I simply can't abide any supposedly reputable company providing service and information with such little apparent concern for the convenience or frustration of the customer.  ATT ranks in the top 5 worst customer service companies I have dealt with in my 41 years of life.  Due to ATT's monopoly of land line service,  I have been forced to deal with incessant calls to return to ATT Long Distance Service that I received several years ago, the current weekly junk mail to bundle my internet, cell and phone that look enough like official correspondence that you feel obligated to open only to throw away in disgust, the endless circles of automated phone menus, to the CSR's who are, with few excpeptions, uninformed, uncaring, unthinking, and unyielding.   Why oh why does it seem so often to be company/industry policy to create tasks(burdens) for your customers and then make those tasks unexecutable?

FYI:  The link att.com/ecpnioptout provided on my mailed notice was, up to a few minutes ago showing the message that the site had been moved or shutdown with no alternate link.  It now appears to be linked to the same site provided earlier in this thread.  However, after following that link, I received the same message that others have received:

We're Having Trouble Processing Your CPNI Request

You can still make your request by phone. Please call a representative at 1-800-288-2020.

Mentor

• 

27 Messages

12 years ago

Sounds like AT&T is promoting telemarketing. No wonder they don't consider repeated calling harrasment.

Voyager

• 

1 Message

12 years ago

I just received this email today (and this post was started two months ago! Why am I JUST getting this now?)

I too was concerrned this was a phishing scam - the links gave you no clue as to whether they were legitimate or not.  I tried calling the number(s) listed and got the usual run-around that resulted in...nothing.  I thought: surely, this came to my email, so it SHOULD be in my messages on the ATT site.  Wrong again!   Finally found this forum (for which I had to create an entirely NEW account just to post  (can't use my regular ATT account and have the option of a different screen name???).   I did find a link through the recommended search function that FINALLY brought me to the opt-out form.  Really ATT?  I had to go to a search to find the link? 

Completely ridiculous.  This whole process took the better part of 20 minutes! 

Get your act together ATT!  Not liking this one bit.  All this on top of the fact that the service is kind of crap.  Still have over a year left on this contract, but I might just take the financial hit and get out early. 

Former Community Manager

• 

5.2K Messages

12 years ago

I'm sorry you had such a difficult time going through this process. 

Did the link in the email you received not work properly?

Will you please tell me a little more about the experience you had when you called in?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.