Need help understanding your bill?
JoeFrigge's profile

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

Wednesday, July 13th, 2016 12:35 AM

AT&T fraud

Why is AT&T allowed to sell plans to customers KNOWING there is no coverage in that area. Then refuse to refund.
3 TV stations to cover this
1st interview at 1 PM

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

Something else is preventing that cellular signal from reaching that home. Whether it's outside radio interference, line of sight blockage, indoor signal penetration, etc.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

It seems to me (in the old days) if the carrier didn't cover where you moved to, that you could get out of your contract, but I think you had to use a partner carrier. 

If people would just get rid of their contract phones it wouldn't be a big deal (as long as you get a phone that works on many carriers).

I always tell people who have vacation homes to not switch carriers in the off times for just that reason, you need to test that new carrier to the two or three places you need it to work to see if it does.

T-Mobile used to have a loaner program to test out the carrier, I think they still do for business, not sure about personal use.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It's possible to get out of an agreement sure. Exceptions are a part of this industry. Usually based on tenure and things like that but it's worth a shot.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

8 years ago

AT&T should have just reimbursed me for $45 It's too late now.
I settle for $1000

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@JoeFrigge Looking for some links to your TV coverage, have any?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I agree that AT&T cannot know coverage or exact addresses but they do know about coverage in general areas.  I switched from another carrier because of poor coverage in our rural area thinking that AT&T would be better.  I was told there was coverage in my area... I used phones from the other carrier as we were told they would work on AT&T.  After one day, realized they did not work efficiently.  Was "forced" to purchase 2 new phones from AT&T as was told they would work better.  That also was NOT the case.  The coverage was NOT only worse in our rural area but also in major cities and towns.  Returned the phones to the AT&T store after 10 days.  Would have returned them sooner however nearest AT&T retailer is an hour away from our home.  The return policy states "...up to $45 restocking fee."  Of course, I was charged the highest fee of $45 for each phone that I returned.  How can AT&T, in good faith, charge a person a fee for returning phones within 10 days of purchase when they cannot be used because of no/low service coverage?  It wasn't that I just changed my mind.  That is absolute criminal!  I was charged $90 for "renting" two phones that I couldn't even use.  Preposterous!  Also, when I tried to contact AT&T support over the weekend via phone, they had no one available.  How can you have a company function and be successful that only has support during week days?  Are consumers not supposed to have issues on the weekends?  I will not recommend AT&T to anyone.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@lreiter wrote:

I agree that AT&T cannot know coverage or exact addresses but they do know about coverage in general areas.  I switched from another carrier because of poor coverage in our rural area thinking that AT&T would be better.  I was told there was coverage in my area... I used phones from the other carrier as we were told they would work on AT&T.  After one day, realized they did not work efficiently.  Was "forced" to purchase 2 new phones from AT&T as was told they would work better.  That also was NOT the case.  The coverage was NOT only worse in our rural area but also in major cities and towns.  Returned the phones to the AT&T store after 10 days.  Would have returned them sooner however nearest AT&T retailer is an hour away from our home.  The return policy states "...up to $45 restocking fee."  Of course, I was charged the highest fee of $45 for each phone that I returned.  How can AT&T, in good faith, charge a person a fee for returning phones within 10 days of purchase when they cannot be used because of no/low service coverage?  It wasn't that I just changed my mind.  That is absolute criminal!  I was charged $90 for "renting" two phones that I couldn't even use.  Preposterous!  Also, when I tried to contact AT&T support over the weekend via phone, they had no one available.  How can you have a company function and be successful that only has support during week days?  Are consumers not supposed to have issues on the weekends?  I will not recommend AT&T to anyone.

@lreiter

that 45 bucks is to cover the fact that a phone was used and cant be resold as new.

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@lreiter  As I wrote in an earlier post.  The restock fee is to discourage impulse buys and returns.   I've seen posts where the person decided they wanted a different color.  Returning a phone isn't like returning a shirt.  Once it's open, registered to a customer and used, it can no longer be sold as a new phone.  Most of them wind up used as warranty replacements.   While it wasn't the case for you, the policy is for the bulk of customers who do make impulse purchases.

I recommend Coverage Map by root metrics which shows actual user reported signal by location.  It may help you select a new carrier.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I understand that returning phones is not like returning a shirt. I was told by another AT&T representative that the phones will be resold as refurb or reconditioned so they will still be receiving additional money for the phones. I also understand that the charges are to deter people from returning because they want a different color. That was not my case. The charges and amount should be determined on a case by case basis. The only reason I returned them was because I could not use the AT&T service because of no coverage.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

7 years ago

I understand that returning phones is not like returning a shirt. I was told by another AT&T representative that the phones will be resold as refurb or reconditioned so they will still be receiving additional money for the phones. I also understand that the charges are to deter people from returning because they want a different color. That was not my case. The charges and amount should be determined on a case by case basis. The only reason I returned them was because I could not use the AT&T service because of no coverage.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.