Need help understanding your bill?
s_coleman's profile

Contributor

• 

5 Messages

Tuesday, April 22nd, 2014 2:54 AM

Closed

AT&T Throttling 3G Data for NO reason

Every month on the 15th or 16th my internet suddenly becomes almost useless.  Streaming radio doesn't work, most websites won't load, etc.  I've tested the throttled connection and its at least a 75% reduction in my normal 3G speeds..around 30kbs/s (kilobytes/second) to be precise.  The connection always goes back to normal right around the last day of the month.  I know all about how wireless data contracts work and if I'm being throttled at all then it should have no relation to the day of the month - it should be a function of my billing cycle.  Second and more to the point, there's no excuse for me being throttled when I'm not going over my data cap.  This billing cycle I've used less than 100mb of data so I know that I'm being throttled for no reason whatsoever.  This has been going on for about six months now and over the past 4-5 months I've contacted AT&T multiple times and received either no response or completely absurd ones.  Last time around I was told the slowdowns were due to tower upgrades.  I took it upon myself to seek out a cell network engineer with over 15 years on the job.  He comfirmed my suspicion that the upgrades excuse was yet another lie.  I've had it with AT&T's deceptions.  Barely being able to use mobile internet 50% of the time isn't just annoying - its a breach of my contract as well.  I'm going to contact AT&T one last time and demand they start delivering the service I paid for or I'm getting legal help.  Still, you can't let these companies walk on you or they'll just keep doing it.  Is anyone else having this problem?   I'll try to keep you all posted on developments.

[Legal discussions are not permitted per the Guidelines]

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

Unlimited Data Customers. If you are a grandfathered AT&T unlimited plan data service customer, you agree that “unlimited” means you pay a fixed monthly charge for wireless data service regardless of how much data you use. You further agree that “unlimited” does not mean that you can use AT&T’s wireless data service in any way that you choose or for any prohibited activities, and that if you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, AT&T can limit, restrict, suspend or terminate your data service or switch you to a tiered data plan.
Now if you read this thoroughly, you will note that only when you use your unlimited data plan in any manner that is prohibited, then they reserve the right to limit, restrict, suspend, etc. etc. so explain to me again why my data speeds will be and are reduced when I go over 3 GB of data.
Are they saying that when you go over 3 GB of data, you are using the data plan in any way you choose? I consider that to be ludicrous. I would love to hear an explanation of this. Still not liking this.

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

10 years ago

The contract that YOU agreed to,has a fair use policy in regards to the "unlimited" data. The fair use policy is what AT&T determines to be a fair amount of data. You get top data speed until you use what AT&T determines to be over fair use. Unfortunately, it is in your contract, and it is in most of the other providers contracts, also. It is legal as it is part of your contract, and unfortunately, you have to live with it.

ACE - Expert

• 

14.1K Messages

10 years ago

@wildguth wrote:
@Constructive. That line "If you have one of our tiered data plans, this information will not affect you. That is basically saying if you don't pay you won't get the service you originally signed up for. That's why "you" came up with the tier data plans. More data will cost you more. UNLIMITED SHOULD MEAN UNLIMITED WITH NO PENALTIES NO MATTER HOW MUCH DATA YOU USE. That is how the consumer (like me) interpreted "unlimited". I am currently grandfathered into my "plan", and two months out of the last six I have gotten a text stating that my service speed will be slowed down if I go over 3 GB. Why should I be penalized for using a service I pay for? I even tried to renew my contract at the beginning of the year to see what was available. That's when I learned of "your" greed inspired tiered data plans. So naturally I stuck with my current plan. Not liking it.

While you're welcome to your opinion, you don't make that decision. The company you pay for service does.

Former Employee

• 

32.9K Messages

10 years ago

@wildguth wrote:
@Constructive. That line "If you have one of our tiered data plans, this information will not affect you. That is basically saying if you don't pay you won't get the service you originally signed up for. That's why "you" came up with the tier data plans. More data will cost you more. UNLIMITED SHOULD MEAN UNLIMITED WITH NO PENALTIES NO MATTER HOW MUCH DATA YOU USE. That is how the consumer (like me) interpreted "unlimited". I am currently grandfathered into my "plan", and two months out of the last six I have gotten a text stating that my service speed will be slowed down if I go over 3 GB. Why should I be penalized for using a service I pay for? I even tried to renew my contract at the beginning of the year to see what was available. That's when I learned of "your" greed inspired tiered data plans. So naturally I stuck with my current plan. Not liking it.

My Greed? you act as if i wrote the contract, i just copied and pasted from the at&t website. I am only an employee (cant fault me for having a good career with a company i love working for) As other have said we are only here to help other forum members and you get advanced warning that your are nearing data limits so this should not come as a surprise each month. I too am grandfathered in with unlimited data and have to tolerate the reduction in speeds myself, this is no ones fault but my own , i know i use a lot (i drive 2 hours each way to work daily and pandora is my best friend during these times) and ive come to expect it. It is what it is and other forum members have given you plenty of links and pasted the agreement but you still insist that at&t is breaking the law somehow? At this point i dont think anything anyone says will satisfy your needs.

Former Employee

• 

636 Messages

10 years ago

To my knowledge, every company, including AT&T that still has 'unlimited' plans, includes in their terms of use, the right to throttle the internet, especially for heavy users. I've looked at tmobile's, sprint's,  and straight-talk full or abridged versions.

Given that every internet company has some version of terms dictating how much internet you can use, the common name for this, that someone else mentioned is the 'fair use policies'

All the general details about what you are agreeing to both with a 24month contract, and general terms of use that aren't limited to the 24months, are included here: http://www.att.com/shop/en/legalterms.html?toskey=wirelessCustomerAgreement-list

-Alex

Contributor

• 

3 Messages

10 years ago

"your" as in the company. Don't take things so personally. I am grateful for your input. I have read the contract (at least what specifically pertains to my situation). Although that "fair use policy" had eluded me. Thank you all. But I'm still agitated.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

Tis all a shame,

I currently am downloading a 4gb playlist of music from my google play library. To say that I have to wait til I go on wifi to access my own online data is just a tad bit ridiculous.  

I guess I will just have to pay the price and have a practically unusable device for the rest of my billing cycle because I want to listen to some offline music. It is too bad that I can't use my device without facing these consequences. I know people say "I shouldnt be transfering that much data over cellular data and should be doing it on wifi", but I just think that is silly. The technology of cellular data exists and so I will not restrict myself from using it to the extent I am able to. Don't flame me because yes I know "fine then get throttled! etc etc etc" I am not yelling at anyone or anything, I am only saying it is a shame and I accept that I will get throttled for access my onine music library. I just wish it was not this way! ha

I have heard terms "top-percent of users" thrown around in these topics and it makes me wonder when more people learn to use technology properly and extend it to its full potential. It is 2014 and we all know that even 10gb is only a drop in the bucket of the data modern citizens might want access to over the course of an entire month. Come on everyone! Start emailing videos to yourself on cellular data all day for no reason! Lets change the relativity of what normal data usage is! lol

cheers everyone!

• 

1 Message

3 years ago

Doing the same thing to me . Bought a data refill on the 15 th of July used 2.42 GB,  was throttled on the 28th called and told them . Was told I used my 10 GB and there was nothing they could do . I intentionally did not use my GB just to see . I will start recording for now on . And will contact an attorney when I have enough evidence to go to court . The only thing you can do to these big companys is hurt their bottom line . They buy their way put of every court case . Eventually we will get a real President who stops this monopoly. 

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

3 years ago

@RobertPrunty42 You posted on a 7 year old thread. Whatever is happening to you is not the same thing. Closing this thread.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.