Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 9, 2013
6:13:39 PM
View profile
verizon galaxy s3 on att

So before we go any further, I know my verizon s3 will work.  Maybe not so much for lte but I'm fine with texting/calls/wifi.  My problem is, the man at the att store gave me a micro sim and told me to call att to activate it.  Problem is, att wants to know the device info, I can't exactly say I have an s3 from verizon... can I use another phone just to activate my SIM and pop it in the s3?

So before we go any further, I know my verizon s3 will work.  Maybe not so much for lte but I'm fine with texting/calls/wifi.  My problem is, the man at the att store gave me a micro sim and told me to call att to activate it.  Problem is, att wants to know the device info, I can't exactly say I have an s3 from verizon... can I use another phone just to activate my SIM and pop it in the s3?

verizon galaxy s3 on att

16 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(16)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:31:47 PM
(0)
Expert

aligndahouse wrote:

Guessing you have a world phone version of it, did you get verizon to unlock it for US usage? Using another device's information may result in features not working correctly, suggest you conctact either verizon or Samsung for the information. did not realize the verizon was unlocking world phones for domestic carriers

aligndahouse wrote:

Guessing you have a world phone version of it, did you get verizon to unlock it for US usage? Using another device's information may result in features not working correctly, suggest you conctact either verizon or Samsung for the information. did not realize the verizon was unlocking world phones for domestic carriers

Re: verizon galaxy s3 on att

2 of 17 (19,473 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:42:50 PM
(0)
Master
Edited by Ann154 on Sep 9, 2013 at 6:52:57 PM

aligndahouse wrote:

You would be best activating the SIM card in another AT&T device first and then swapping the SIM card to the Verizon S3. The trick is making sure that the phone has the latest OS update. Until the most recent update users were unable to access or create a new APN for a different carrier even one that's overseas.

Because the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 is a 4G LTE global ready device, it is already SIM unlocked. I honestly don't know if you can access the GSM 3G data network, but you have a good chance of getting voice and text messages to work. It is still a smartphone so I would suspect AT&T will make you pay for a data plan even if you can only get 2G data.

Not posted from a Nexus 4.

Probably from mobile, maybe. Smiley Happy

aligndahouse wrote:

You would be best activating the SIM card in another AT&T device first and then swapping the SIM card to the Verizon S3. The trick is making sure that the phone has the latest OS update. Until the most recent update users were unable to access or create a new APN for a different carrier even one that's overseas.

Because the Verizon Samsung Galaxy S3 is a 4G LTE global ready device, it is already SIM unlocked. I honestly don't know if you can access the GSM 3G data network, but you have a good chance of getting voice and text messages to work. It is still a smartphone so I would suspect AT&T will make you pay for a data plan even if you can only get 2G data.

Not posted from a Nexus 4.

Probably from mobile, maybe. :)
Posted by a mobile device.

[ Edited ]
3 of 17 (19,459 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:48:05 PM
(0)
Expert

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

I just found a Youtube vid about it...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

I just found a Youtube vid about it...

REGRET NOTHING~

we live & learn~

4 of 17 (19,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 9, 2013 6:52:11 PM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

Do you even follow news on Verizon Wireless devices or services anymore? Even some of Android tech sites have picked up on this tidbit of information. From what I understand, the phones are SIM unlocked because of the Block C rules related to the 700 MHz frequency used for 4G LTE on Verizon Wireless. I don't know much about the specifics itself though.

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

Do you even follow news on Verizon Wireless devices or services anymore? Even some of Android tech sites have picked up on this tidbit of information. From what I understand, the phones are SIM unlocked because of the Block C rules related to the 700 MHz frequency used for 4G LTE on Verizon Wireless. I don't know much about the specifics itself though.

5 of 17 (19,450 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 7:22:55 AM
(0)
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

Have about 150 corporate phones from verizon, don;t bother following anything about android since we dropped developing vertical market applications for abdroid based devices about 2 years ago. Since verizon has gotten the Iphone we have stopped issuing android phones to employees and have only about 15 left on contract. these are corporate phones there is no isue about lock or unlock. The last time we checked only world phones where capable ot inserting a sim and they where locked to internation sims only. Besides the last time I looked a S3 was not LTE capable

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/specifications.html

don;t see LTE bands listed

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

aligndahouse wrote:

Have about 150 corporate phones from verizon, don;t bother following anything about android since we dropped developing vertical market applications for abdroid based devices about 2 years ago. Since verizon has gotten the Iphone we have stopped issuing android phones to employees and have only about 15 left on contract. these are corporate phones there is no isue about lock or unlock. The last time we checked only world phones where capable ot inserting a sim and they where locked to internation sims only. Besides the last time I looked a S3 was not LTE capable

http://www.samsung.com/global/galaxys3/specifications.html

don;t see LTE bands listed

6 of 17 (19,380 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 10:57:59 AM
(0)
Master
That's because you posted the global version not the Verizon version. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I535ZKBVZW-specs
That's because you posted the global version not the Verizon version. http://www.samsung.com/us/mobile/cell-phones/SCH-I535ZKBVZW-specs

7 of 17 (19,366 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 11:01:38 AM
(0)
Master
This is the radio specs listed from the VZW site. LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global: GPRS/EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900); HSPA/UMTS (2100)
This is the radio specs listed from the VZW site. LTE, CDMA/PCS/1xEVDO Rev. A (800/1900 MHz)
Global: GPRS/EDGE/GSM (850/900/1800/1900); HSPA/UMTS (2100)

8 of 17 (19,364 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply

9 of 17 (19,360 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:23:24 PM
(0)
Master
There was an OS update that unlocked the GSM network support after the phone release. This site reflects that information. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3804
There was an OS update that unlocked the GSM network support after the phone release. This site reflects that information. http://www.phonescoop.com/phones/phone.php?p=3804

10 of 17 (19,351 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 12:31:53 PM
(0)
Master
This review also refers to the eventual GSM support. http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s-iii---16gb---pebble-blue-verizon-wireless/35326382?ds=1

11 of 17 (19,349 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 10, 2013 7:06:05 PM
(0)
Expert

Ann154 wrote:
This review also refers to the eventual GSM support. http://m.cnet.com/reviews/samsung-galaxy-s-iii---16gb---pebble-blue-verizon-wireless/35326382?ds=1

op's point is they can;t get it hooked up to att so either they have the wrong level of the OS or a phone that cannot do it. Never had an issue sticking a GSM sim in any unlocked phone in the US or overseas, put it in, activate and call away

Ann154 wrote:

op's point is they can;t get it hooked up to att so either they have the wrong level of the OS or a phone that cannot do it. Never had an issue sticking a GSM sim in any unlocked phone in the US or overseas, put it in, activate and call away

12 of 17 (19,323 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 11:19:23 AM
(0)
Master

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

Actually the OP got an unactivated SIM card from the store and he has stopped short of giving AT&T the phone information since he was supposed to call customer care.

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

Actually the OP got an unactivated SIM card from the store and he has stopped short of giving AT&T the phone information since he was supposed to call customer care.

13 of 17 (19,259 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 11, 2013 12:21:36 PM
(0)
Expert

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

strange, everytime I have gone in for a replacement sim for a phone they did not just hand me one, they asked for the phone and took care of everything before I left the store.

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

strange, everytime I have gone in for a replacement sim for a phone they did not just hand me one, they asked for the phone and took care of everything before I left the store.

14 of 17 (19,248 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 12, 2013 4:28:18 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Ann154 on Sep 12, 2013 at 4:29:43 AM

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

That is what I would expect as well, but that isn't what the OP described in their original message. Since the OP hasn't been back since their first post who knows if it worked out or not.

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Ann154 wrote:

That is what I would expect as well, but that isn't what the OP described in their original message. Since the OP hasn't been back since their first post who knows if it worked out or not.

[ Edited ]
15 of 17 (19,193 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 5:40:16 PM
(0)
Contributor

I just went to the ATT store today and purchased 2 sim cards and set up service using my 2 Verizon Samsung Gal 3's. You have to play with the settings such as GSM network and registar the prefered network then they work fine. You wont have 4LTE but everything else is fine. And yes they activated the sim cards in the store using my phones.

I just went to the ATT store today and purchased 2 sim cards and set up service using my 2 Verizon Samsung Gal 3's. You have to play with the settings such as GSM network and registar the prefered network then they work fine. You wont have 4LTE but everything else is fine. And yes they activated the sim cards in the store using my phones.

16 of 17 (13,355 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 19, 2014 5:41:45 PM
(0)
Contributor
Yes you can access the ATT network no problem.
Yes you can access the ATT network no problem.

17 of 17 (13,354 Views)