transferring account owner and bringing in a new number without contract

Tutor

transferring account owner and bringing in a new number without contract

[ Edited ]

Hi there, 

I currently has 4 numbers in a family plan under friend David's name, while David is not in it. As David has left, we want to change the account owner from David to me, without touching anything of the plan, i.e. rates, features, etc.  To be clear, the current plan is under David's name, but I use the primary number assuming financial responsibility. Now I want to change the name/SSN of this account to me. 

I have a new family member with an Individual plan at AT&T, whose contract has already expired. She also wants to join our family plan. I have a few questions,

1, Where and How could I transfer the owner (i.e. name ,ssn) of that account from David to me? 

2, Would the transfer affect the upgrade eligibility/existing family plan details/exisitng features?

3, Would the transfer means a new 2-year contract? Or the current contract will still expires at the same time as if there was no change of the owner ? 

4, Where and How could I adding an off-contract at&t number to my family?

Thanks,

Yi

Message 1 of 6 (659 Views)
Expert

Re: transferring account owner and bringing in a new number without contract

dingalpha wrote:

Hi there, 

I currently has 4 numbers in a family plan under friend David's name, while David is not in it. As David has left, we want to change the account owner from David to me, without touching anything of the plan, i.e. rates, features, etc.  To be clear, the current plan is under David's name, but I use the primary number assuming financial responsibility. Now I want to change the name/SSN of this account to me. 

I have a new family member with an Individual plan at AT&T, whose contract has already expired. She also wants to join our family plan. I have a few questions,

1, Where and How could I transfer the owner (i.e. name ,ssn) of that account from David to me? 

2, Would the transfer affect the upgrade eligibility/existing family plan details/exisitng features?

3, Would the transfer means a new 2-year contract? Or the current contract will still expires at the same time as if there was no change of the owner ? 

4, Where and How could I adding an off-contract at&t number to my family?

Thanks,

Yi

Pretty sure only the prime account holder can change the prime account holder, you may need to call and talk to them or I would recommend that you send a Private Message to Community Support is part of the AT&T customer service team, They may be able to resolve your Issue. You can expect a reply via return PM between the hours of 7am-10pm CST within 2 to 3 business days.

Message 2 of 6 (639 Views)
Tutor

Hi, thanks for prompt reply. I was authorized by David to manage the account and has been paying the bill for almost 4 year. So actually, I am the real owner of the account, which is just under David's name. I could access the account online to do everything I could.

In other words, you could simply assume I am David, and I want to transfer the ownership to another number in the plan, expecting nothing changed.

I did try the "transferring billing responsibility" and initiate the transfer process. When I try to accept the request online, the webpage says "Select a new rate plan for each number being transferred." My current account has the rate plan of national 700, which is currently offered on att.com. some of numbers has the data feature like 15 for 200M, 25 for 2GB, which are not offered now. Does transferring will invalidate those unavailable features? i.e. $15 for 200M, $20 for 2GB?

Also, transferring the billing and choosing the rate plan will extend the current contract for each number for another 2 years? or simply inherit the remaining months of each number's current contract?

Thanks,

Yi
Message 3 of 6 (605 Views)
Highlighted
Employee

Answering your last question first:

• The RAH must accept an 11-month agreement if the ToBR is completed over the phone.
    • Exception: iPhone customers accept an 11-month agreement if the contract is 11 months or less, but retain their current contract if more than 11 months remain.

You must select from current offers for rate plans and features. You could also maintain the features and unlimited data plans that are currently on the old account holders account. SO you don't have to lose your Grandfathered data plans.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (530 Views)
Tutor

Thanks for your reply. Just to be clear,

Now I have like following

Family Plan National 700, unlimited message for the whole family for 30 dollars,

line 1, iphone 4s, contract expires on Oct 7,2013, Data 2GB for 25 dollars(this features is no longer offered on att.com);
line 2, iphone 4s, contract expires on Oct 11, 2013, Data 200MB for 15 dollars(this features is no longer offered on att.com),
line 3, iphone 4s, contract expires on Oct 13, 2013, Data 200MB for 15 dollars(this features is no longer offered on att.com),
line 4, iphone 4s,contract expires on Oct 12, 2013, Data 300MB for 20 dollars(this features is still offered on att.com).

Let's say if I transfered all 4 numbers to a new account holder,

1, Does all numbers' expiration dates of contracts are still Oct7, Oct 11, Oct 13, Oct 12, respectively,
2, Once transferred, can the whole family plan still have national 700 and unlimited message for 30 dollars?
3, Once transferred, can each number still have there old data plan?

Thanks,

Yi
Message 5 of 6 (504 Views)
Community Manager

Hello dinglpha:

Here is a support article that explains the process: Transfer billing responsibility to another person

"1, Does all numbers' expiration dates of contracts are still Oct7, Oct 11, Oct 13, Oct 12, respectively"

Yes.

• The billing responsibility for your account (phone/device and service) is placed in the new owner's name, using their credit information.
  • The new owner assumes responsibility for the account, monthly bill, and contract.
  • Your upgrade eligibility transfers so the new owner can enjoy your upgrade benefits.

"2, Once transferred, can the whole family plan still have national 700 and unlimited message for 30 dollars?"

Yes.

"3, Once transferred, can each number still have there old data plan?"

No.

If you're the new owner of the account, you'll need to meet these conditions:

• You must be at least 18 years old. Exceptions: 19 years old in Alabama, 21 years old in Puerto Rico
  • You must complete a credit evaluation when you accept the transfer and you may be required to pay a deposit.
  • You must accept the remaining contract term from the date of the transfer.
  • You'll need to select currently offered rate plans/features.

Discontinued data plans, 2GB and 200MB won't transfer, you'll need to select currently offered plans. 2GB plan can be replaced with 3GB, and 200MB with 300MB, price differences are $5 for each line. Also keep in mind that if there is any kind of employee discount on your account it will not be transferred, however you might qualify for a discount through your employer or if you're a student.

Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thanks,

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 6 (477 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.