switching to new gophone with old gophone sim

xy
Contributor

switching to new gophone with old gophone sim

Hello, I currently own an AT&T gophone. It is an LG encore. I currently have the pay-as-you-go plan, where I can add $25 of credit to last me 3 months. I had a few questions about getting a different phone - the samsung galaxy express. First, if I buy this new phone, do I just put in my LG encore sim into the samsung to continue using my current phone number? Second, with this new samsung, do I have to pay a monthly fee instead of the pay as you go, 10 cents per minute plan?

Or, if I decide to get the samsung express and use a new sim, would I be able to use the pay as you go option still?
Message 1 of 3 (971 Views)
Scholar

Re: switching to new gophone with old gophone sim

xy wrote:
Hello, I currently own an AT&T gophone. It is an LG encore. I currently have the pay-as-you-go plan, where I can add $25 of credit to last me 3 months. I had a few questions about getting a different phone - the samsung galaxy express. First, if I buy this new phone, do I just put in my LG encore sim into the samsung to continue using my current phone number? Second, with this new samsung, do I have to pay a monthly fee instead of the pay as you go, 10 cents per minute plan?

Or, if I decide to get the samsung express and use a new sim, would I be able to use the pay as you go option still?

Yes, you can buy this phone, keep your present plan and not be required to purchase a data package but you won't be able to buy it from an AT&T company store or from the AT&T website. I recently purchased the Samsung Galaxy Express Go-Phone from Amazon.com. The phone comes with a Micro-SIM as opposed to a Mini-SIM that I had in my previous phone, the LG Thrive. If your previous phone has a Micro-SIM, just put it in the new phone and you'll be set to go.

If your previous phone had a Mini-SIM, do the following. Don't install the new SIM before you call AT&T. Have the new IMEI number and the new SIM card number available. Advise the representative you have a new phone and the SIM cards are different. They will transfer your account information to the new phone. You will keep the same number and all the funds in your account. This may take 20 - 30 minutes.

For some reason AT&T will not let you purchase smartphones from their company stores or via their web site without the purchase of a data package. Of course the phone will also cost you less when purchased from Amazon. I couldn't be more happy with this phone!

Message 2 of 3 (933 Views)
xy
Contributor

Re: switching to new gophone with old gophone sim

Thank you for replying!

Unfortunately, I already ordered one from the AT&T store ... 

If I were to just use the new sim that comes with said phone, would I still be able to use the pay-as-you-go plan, the $0.10 per minute plan? Or would I be required to pay some monthly fee? 

Message 3 of 3 (902 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.