scam, at&t-assisted

Contributor

scam, at&t-assisted

Can you please forward this note to someone at AT&T who can assist with putting a stop to this scam?

Yesterday, I received a text message from Textea Flirting Tips Alerts advising me that $9.99/mo will be added to my AT&T bill unless I reply STOP or HELP to the text. I called AT&T 611 and found that the $9.99 had already been added to my next bill. Customer support cancelled the charge and implemented a Purchase Block (attached email) on each of the cellphones on my plan.

Although redundant with what I requested of the Customer Support person, can you escalate two recommendations:

1) AT&T should not allow someone to add anything to my bill without my agreement. Before adding anything to my AT&T bill, AT&T should ask me whether I agree to the new charge. AT&T should not collect money on behalf of anyone without my approval submitted to AT&T.

2) AT&T should advise all customers of scams like this and that they have the option of adding a Purchase Block.

I replied to Textea Flirting Tips Alerts with the following message "You are a Thief." I got an immediate response which was "El comando enviado es incorrecto, envia stop para candelar y/o help para ayuda." Obviously a computer response, so my message was not delivered. Since AT&T is collecting money for this scammer/thief, perhaps AT&T could help deliver my message to them?

Message 1 of 8 (1,572 Views)

Re: scam, at&t-assisted

There is something AT&T can add to your account upon request called a purchase blocker it's free of charge and it will prevent any purchases from going through. AT&T did not assist with this charge being added to your bill, I can assure you of that. Somehow the 3rd party company was authorized either by you, a family member, or someone that had access to your phone. It can sometimes be accidental, but don't worry AT&T will make sure the subcription is stopped, cancelled, refunded up to 60 days and they can add that purchase blocker for you. I suggest contacting them, 611 on your AT&T phone or 1-800-331-0500

Message 2 of 8 (1,558 Views)

Had you just replied "STOP" to the text, you would not have been charged. Kind of simple.

Message 3 of 8 (1,554 Views)

That may be how it's supposed to work, but I've had a problem 3 months running where something called "Chalkboard Geniu Mobile Quiz Club" started texting me, saying I was now subscribed to their service. Even when I responded with "STOP" I was still slammed with a $9.99 monthly charge. CS removed the charge, but it took 3 months of frustrated called to AT&T before they mentioned that they had a free purchase blocker.

stclair49 wrote:

Had you just replied "STOP" to the text, you would not have been charged. Kind of simple.

Message 4 of 8 (1,517 Views)
Scholar

https://cingular-oac.qpass.com/oac/html/signin.do
self service removal

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 8 (1,494 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

I get a random text saying that I have subscribed to iqquiz fun fact and quiz and billed for 9.99 - I call ATT to stop and block. I'm told that to place a block for mobile purchases I will be charged $4.50 per month from ATT.  I went ballistic... What do they expect? 

Message 6 of 8 (1,458 Views)

Untrue. The last thing you should ever do is reply STOP. That's how they know the line is active and will add you to more scam lists.

Message 7 of 8 (742 Views)
Expert

harryspar wrote:

Untrue. The last thing you should ever do is reply STOP. That's how they know the line is active and will add you to more scam lists.

no becasue the first thing you need to do is read what it states, in a large amount of cases NOT replying is a acceptance of the monthly reoccurring charges

Message 8 of 8 (733 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.