Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 13, 2013
8:18:53 PM
View profile
replacement phone for while in transition from basic to data plan

Augh!  My head is spinning.  Okay, I have a basic plan (not even texting) and my phone broke - I have 4 months left on my contract.  I'd like to move up to a basic smartphone without upping our price much so when the 4 months are up we may switch to a cheaper carrier.  Now the problem is what do I do in the meantime.  I went to the ATT store to replace the basic phone and they said they don't carry it anymore and wouldn't sell me another one b/c he said they are all crap and I should buy one online.  Now I'm looking online and my head is spinning - I don't know what I'm doing.  Can you help me understand my options?

1.  I thought I could buy a cheap smartphone (unlocked) and use it w/my SIM until my contract was up and then go to a data plan w/it.  But I'm reading here that ATT will charge me for a data plan, right?  I don't want to mess with my plan right now (its a family plan).  

2.  ATT has a $15 basic prepaid phone - can I purchase that phone and use it with my current SIM/family plan?

3. Walmart has a basic phone for $50 and a cheapo smartphone for $60 - how can I now if I can use my SIM in these?  Are there different kinds of SIMs?  

4. I hate to buy a basic phone for only 4 months of use and then pay for a smartphone at that point.  Is there anyway to buy and use a smart phone now with my current plan until I upgrade to a data plan?  I've read posts about using a smartphone with wifi only - is there an option there?  That is the only kind of plan I am expecting to get anyway.  Can prepaid somehow help me out?  

I know that's a lot, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

Augh!  My head is spinning.  Okay, I have a basic plan (not even texting) and my phone broke - I have 4 months left on my contract.  I'd like to move up to a basic smartphone without upping our price much so when the 4 months are up we may switch to a cheaper carrier.  Now the problem is what do I do in the meantime.  I went to the ATT store to replace the basic phone and they said they don't carry it anymore and wouldn't sell me another one b/c he said they are all crap and I should buy one online.  Now I'm looking online and my head is spinning - I don't know what I'm doing.  Can you help me understand my options?

1.  I thought I could buy a cheap smartphone (unlocked) and use it w/my SIM until my contract was up and then go to a data plan w/it.  But I'm reading here that ATT will charge me for a data plan, right?  I don't want to mess with my plan right now (its a family plan).  

2.  ATT has a $15 basic prepaid phone - can I purchase that phone and use it with my current SIM/family plan?

3. Walmart has a basic phone for $50 and a cheapo smartphone for $60 - how can I now if I can use my SIM in these?  Are there different kinds of SIMs?  

4. I hate to buy a basic phone for only 4 months of use and then pay for a smartphone at that point.  Is there anyway to buy and use a smart phone now with my current plan until I upgrade to a data plan?  I've read posts about using a smartphone with wifi only - is there an option there?  That is the only kind of plan I am expecting to get anyway.  Can prepaid somehow help me out?  

I know that's a lot, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

replacement phone for while in transition from basic to data plan

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 11:58:25 AM
(0)
Employee

1) Whether the Smartphone is cheap or not, sorry if I sound rude, you will still need to pay for a Data Plan because it's a Smartphone.

2) Yes, you can buy the $15 Non-Smartphone/GoPhone, to use with your line in the account, to ride out the Contract.

3) There are diffirent SIM card Sizes and Types, but it's it's a Non-Smartphone(Basic Phone) it will be the regular size 3G SIM card like in the past.

4) If you have a Smartphone Data plan in your current plan now, you can use a cheap smartphone and keep your same Smartphone Data plan. Remember that a data plan is required for Smartphones, so Wi-Fi only will not work out. And Prepaid can definitely help you out, but remember that you're still in a contract now, right?

I hope that I've helped you! Even though I was a little confused, I believe I understood what you were asking.. Feel free to correct me, though Smiley Happy

1) Whether the Smartphone is cheap or not, sorry if I sound rude, you will still need to pay for a Data Plan because it's a Smartphone.

2) Yes, you can buy the $15 Non-Smartphone/GoPhone, to use with your line in the account, to ride out the Contract.

3) There are diffirent SIM card Sizes and Types, but it's it's a Non-Smartphone(Basic Phone) it will be the regular size 3G SIM card like in the past.

4) If you have a Smartphone Data plan in your current plan now, you can use a cheap smartphone and keep your same Smartphone Data plan. Remember that a data plan is required for Smartphones, so Wi-Fi only will not work out. And Prepaid can definitely help you out, but remember that you're still in a contract now, right?

I hope that I've helped you! Even though I was a little confused, I believe I understood what you were asking.. Feel free to correct me, though Smiley Happy

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: replacement phone for while in transition from basic to data plan

2 of 6 (661 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 15, 2013 12:41:03 PM
(0)
Contributor

Okay, thank you.  Yes, I was confused by some of the terminology and requirements.  So you can not use a smartphone at all - for just making calls - unless you have a data plan, right?

So my only option without a data plan is to find a non-smart phone, correct?  And you confirm that any non-smart phone, any brand, I can use by just putting my old SIM card into it?

So frustrated that the ATT store would not help me with this.

Okay, thank you.  Yes, I was confused by some of the terminology and requirements.  So you can not use a smartphone at all - for just making calls - unless you have a data plan, right?

So my only option without a data plan is to find a non-smart phone, correct?  And you confirm that any non-smart phone, any brand, I can use by just putting my old SIM card into it?

So frustrated that the ATT store would not help me with this.

3 of 6 (635 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 6:35:03 AM
(0)
Employee

Sorry that you didn't find a solution at the store. I'm customer service based, so my first thoughts is to find anything that can save you money!

I don't want to say that's your only option, but it is. You can only use the Non-Smartphone to make basic calls, the Smartphones will need an active data plan to use.. So saving that extra $20 or more by using a Non-Smartphone can be beneficial!

Sorry that you didn't find a solution at the store. I'm customer service based, so my first thoughts is to find anything that can save you money!

I don't want to say that's your only option, but it is. You can only use the Non-Smartphone to make basic calls, the Smartphones will need an active data plan to use.. So saving that extra $20 or more by using a Non-Smartphone can be beneficial!

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

4 of 6 (606 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 10:06:05 AM
(0)
Contributor

Okay, thanks so much!  I'm sure the customer service rep just didn't realize that some people like me still have no clue how these things work and need a little more hand-holding to understand our options.  I'll just order a non-smartphone from the website.  thanks.

Okay, thanks so much!  I'm sure the customer service rep just didn't realize that some people like me still have no clue how these things work and need a little more hand-holding to understand our options.  I'll just order a non-smartphone from the website.  thanks.

5 of 6 (600 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 16, 2013 10:23:57 AM
(0)
Employee
Sounds good! Goodluck .
Sounds good! Goodluck .

6 of 6 (595 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments