09-13-2013 8:18 PM
Augh! My head is spinning. Okay, I have a basic plan (not even texting) and my phone broke - I have 4 months left on my contract. I'd like to move up to a basic smartphone without upping our price much so when the 4 months are up we may switch to a cheaper carrier. Now the problem is what do I do in the meantime. I went to the ATT store to replace the basic phone and they said they don't carry it anymore and wouldn't sell me another one b/c he said they are all crap and I should buy one online. Now I'm looking online and my head is spinning - I don't know what I'm doing. Can you help me understand my options?
1. I thought I could buy a cheap smartphone (unlocked) and use it w/my SIM until my contract was up and then go to a data plan w/it. But I'm reading here that ATT will charge me for a data plan, right? I don't want to mess with my plan right now (its a family plan).
2. ATT has a $15 basic prepaid phone - can I purchase that phone and use it with my current SIM/family plan?
3. Walmart has a basic phone for $50 and a cheapo smartphone for $60 - how can I now if I can use my SIM in these? Are there different kinds of SIMs?
4. I hate to buy a basic phone for only 4 months of use and then pay for a smartphone at that point. Is there anyway to buy and use a smart phone now with my current plan until I upgrade to a data plan? I've read posts about using a smartphone with wifi only - is there an option there? That is the only kind of plan I am expecting to get anyway. Can prepaid somehow help me out?
I know that's a lot, but any thoughts would be appreciated.
09-14-2013 11:58 AM
1) Whether the Smartphone is cheap or not, sorry if I sound rude, you will still need to pay for a Data Plan because it's a Smartphone.
2) Yes, you can buy the $15 Non-Smartphone/GoPhone, to use with your line in the account, to ride out the Contract.
3) There are diffirent SIM card Sizes and Types, but it's it's a Non-Smartphone(Basic Phone) it will be the regular size 3G SIM card like in the past.
4) If you have a Smartphone Data plan in your current plan now, you can use a cheap smartphone and keep your same Smartphone Data plan. Remember that a data plan is required for Smartphones, so Wi-Fi only will not work out. And Prepaid can definitely help you out, but remember that you're still in a contract now, right?
I hope that I've helped you! Even though I was a little confused, I believe I understood what you were asking.. Feel free to correct me, though
09-15-2013 12:41 PM
Okay, thank you. Yes, I was confused by some of the terminology and requirements. So you can not use a smartphone at all - for just making calls - unless you have a data plan, right?
So my only option without a data plan is to find a non-smart phone, correct? And you confirm that any non-smart phone, any brand, I can use by just putting my old SIM card into it?
So frustrated that the ATT store would not help me with this.
09-16-2013 6:35 AM
Sorry that you didn't find a solution at the store. I'm customer service based, so my first thoughts is to find anything that can save you money!
I don't want to say that's your only option, but it is. You can only use the Non-Smartphone to make basic calls, the Smartphones will need an active data plan to use.. So saving that extra $20 or more by using a Non-Smartphone can be beneficial!
09-16-2013 10:06 AM
Okay, thanks so much! I'm sure the customer service rep just didn't realize that some people like me still have no clue how these things work and need a little more hand-holding to understand our options. I'll just order a non-smartphone from the website. thanks.
09-16-2013 10:23 AM
© 2017 AT&T Intellectual Property.This link will open a new window All rights reserved. AT&T, Globe logo, Mobilizing Your World and DIRECTV are registered trademarks of AT&T Intellectual Property and/or AT&T affiliated companies. All other marks are the property of their respective owners.
Congratulations! You earned the Liz badge!