Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Highlighted
Posted Jun 11, 2012
3:33:00 PM
View profile
reading older but NOT DELETED text messages on iPhone

I need to re-read a text message I sent months ago, but my phone will not let me scroll all the way to beginning of my text history with this particular friend.  I haven't deleted any of our texts.  Are they still on my phone?  As there a way to get them from AT&T so I can read them on my laptop?  Someone told me the only way to read old text messages is with a court order.

I need to re-read a text message I sent months ago, but my phone will not let me scroll all the way to beginning of my text history with this particular friend.  I haven't deleted any of our texts.  Are they still on my phone?  As there a way to get them from AT&T so I can read them on my laptop?  Someone told me the only way to read old text messages is with a court order.

reading older but NOT DELETED text messages on iPhone

5 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(5)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 6:13:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I just did a quick Google search on "read iphone sms on computer" and in the top 4 links I got: read iPhone SMS Backups.  Does that help you?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I just did a quick Google search on "read iphone sms on computer" and in the top 4 links I got: read iPhone SMS Backups.  Does that help you?

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: reading older but NOT DELETED text messages on iPhone

2 of 6 (47,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 11, 2012 9:00:54 PM
(0)
Scholar
My understanding is that the phone companies do not archive text messages. Could you imagine the server space required to archive them?!?
My understanding is that the phone companies do not archive text messages. Could you imagine the server space required to archive them?!?

3 of 6 (47,050 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 12, 2012 12:48:03 PM
(0)
Guru

Have you tried this? I'm not sure how iOS manages text storage, and I'm not sure Apple is all that forthcoming with the information. Text messages are retained by the carrier for a couple of days, at most, unless there's an active investigation or court order to archive them. Once AT&T deletes the messages, they're gone.

Have you tried this? I'm not sure how iOS manages text storage, and I'm not sure Apple is all that forthcoming with the information. Text messages are retained by the carrier for a couple of days, at most, unless there's an active investigation or court order to archive them. Once AT&T deletes the messages, they're gone.

4 of 6 (47,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 25, 2013 12:53:15 AM
(0)
Contributor
Edited by Donnalewis on Sep 25, 2013 at 12:54:02 AM

If you have recently backed up to iTunes I think you can just restore from this older back up and get them back. Just go to iTunes, connect your iPhone, right click on it at the sidebar and choose restore from backup. If you are using iCloud you can recover deleted text messages on iPhone by going to Settings -> General -> Restore -> All data and settings. Then when you are setting up your iPhone like when you got it you can use your backup to get your messages back.

If you have recently backed up to iTunes I think you can just restore from this older back up and get them back. Just go to iTunes, connect your iPhone, right click on it at the sidebar and choose restore from backup. If you are using iCloud you can recover deleted text messages on iPhone by going to Settings -> General -> Restore -> All data and settings. Then when you are setting up your iPhone like when you got it you can use your backup to get your messages back.

[ Edited ]
5 of 6 (19,462 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 1, 2013 1:36:26 PM
(0)
Contributor

But what if you are not in the habit of constantly backing up your iphone with Itunes. I have not backed up my phone a long time since ios 6. Will this still work? or is there another option that will be better.

But what if you are not in the habit of constantly backing up your iphone with Itunes. I have not backed up my phone a long time since ios 6. Will this still work? or is there another option that will be better.

6 of 6 (14,081 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments