"Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

Teacher

"Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

Is there an option to use an "Extended" network on an AT&T iPhone? My friend has a Verizon iPhone, and when I'm in a building with No Service on AT&T, his goes to "Extended" with 1x or 3G. I saw a post about 4EON, a code to enable your sim to tell you when you're on  another network, but I don't think that's a solution. If I turn on "Data Roaming" in settings, will I be charged for domestic usage if it finds another network?

Thanks for your help!

Message 1 of 4
Community Manager

Re: "Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

Extended on Verizon means roaming on a different carrier's network. Sounds like whatever building you guys go to, there is no coverage from both AT&T and VZ, but another CDMA carrier has it and VZ can roam with it. There is nothing that the user has to do to enable roaming, it's automatic, but AT&T uses GSM and won't connect to a CDMA carrier.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 4
Teacher

Makes sense.. Thanks for your help! 

Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Scholar

Your best bet is to get a microcell...

If you find the cost is too high, perhaps you can convince  them to provide one for you for free, or look online for a used one. I was able to picked a second hand one up for like $50 on Craigslist.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 4 of 4
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Are you looking to upgrade and activate your device?

Let us help make Ordering, Upgrading and Activating easy!

Additional Support