Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 19, 2013
7:13:57 PM
"Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

Is there an option to use an "Extended" network on an AT&T iPhone? My friend has a Verizon iPhone, and when I'm in a building with No Service on AT&T, his goes to "Extended" with 1x or 3G. I saw a post about 4EON, a code to enable your sim to tell you when you're on  another network, but I don't think that's a solution. If I turn on "Data Roaming" in settings, will I be charged for domestic usage if it finds another network?

Thanks for your help!

Is there an option to use an "Extended" network on an AT&T iPhone? My friend has a Verizon iPhone, and when I'm in a building with No Service on AT&T, his goes to "Extended" with 1x or 3G. I saw a post about 4EON, a code to enable your sim to tell you when you're on  another network, but I don't think that's a solution. If I turn on "Data Roaming" in settings, will I be charged for domestic usage if it finds another network?

Thanks for your help!

"Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

3 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(3)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 21, 2013 6:12:07 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Extended on Verizon means roaming on a different carrier's network. Sounds like whatever building you guys go to, there is no coverage from both AT&T and VZ, but another CDMA carrier has it and VZ can roam with it. There is nothing that the user has to do to enable roaming, it's automatic, but AT&T uses GSM and won't connect to a CDMA carrier.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Extended on Verizon means roaming on a different carrier's network. Sounds like whatever building you guys go to, there is no coverage from both AT&T and VZ, but another CDMA carrier has it and VZ can roam with it. There is nothing that the user has to do to enable roaming, it's automatic, but AT&T uses GSM and won't connect to a CDMA carrier.

Dmitriy

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: "Extended" network for AT&T iPhone, like the Verizon iPhone has??

2 of 4 (1,455 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 26, 2013 8:31:28 PM
(0)
Teacher

Makes sense.. Thanks for your help! 

Makes sense.. Thanks for your help! 

3 of 4 (1,344 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 10, 2013 10:12:02 PM
(0)
Scholar

Your best bet is to get a microcell...

If you find the cost is too high, perhaps you can convince  them to provide one for you for free, or look online for a used one. I was able to picked a second hand one up for like $50 on Craigslist.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]

Your best bet is to get a microcell...

If you find the cost is too high, perhaps you can convince  them to provide one for you for free, or look online for a used one. I was able to picked a second hand one up for like $50 on Craigslist.

4 of 4 (1,140 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments