preserving game data from iphone to ipod touch

Scholar

preserving game data from iphone to ipod touch

I have an iphone 5 with several games installed, including Plants vs. Zombies 2, that my son has been playing. I recently got him an ipod touch. He has spent a considerable amount of time gathering suns and other goodies and advancing levels playing Plants vs. Zombies and Plants vs. Zombies 2 on my iphone.

Question: if I downloand those games on the ipod touch, using the same Apple ID, will his game status be transferred over and preserved on the ipod touch? Is there a way to do that so he doesn't have to start all over from the beginning?

thanks

Message 1 of 6 (607 Views)
ACE - Professor

Re: preserving game data from iphone to ipod touch

If you save the progress into iCloud and then sync it to the iPod, the progress should also be transferred as well (it's done that for me at least Smiley Tongue)
~Sunshine Smiley Happy
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 6 (561 Views)
ACE - Master

It really depends upon the game and the game developer.  I play one game on my iPhone where it stores all game stats/info on the developers' server.  When I login on any device with my username & password, it automatically shows my info.  I have played a few where they sync to Game Center ot to iCloud.  FOr those, it may be automatic, or it may be manual.  The older games I play only store their data locally on the iPhone/iPod Touch.  For those, you have to make a backup of the iPHone and restore it on the other device to get the game levels/settings/etc. to transfer over.  Regretfully, I don't know which method the games you are talking about use.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 6 (531 Views)
Scholar

Are you sure it's possible to restore on an ipod touch if the backup was created on an iphone 5? How do I that from icloud? 

Message 4 of 6 (496 Views)
ACE - Master

The restore is possible as long as the iPod iOS version is equal to or higher than the iOS version on the iPhone where teh backup is made.  If the iPod has iOS 5 or 6, and the iPhone has iOS 7, then it is not possible.  If the iPhone has iOS 7 or lower and the iPod Touch has iOS 7, then the restore should be possible.

If you do the backup to iCloud rather than to iTunes, then you just go into the device, and go "Settings->General->Reset->Erase All Content and Settings"  This will wipe the contents of the iPod.  Now, you log into iCLoud and it should ask you if you want to restore from the iCloud Backup.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
Message 5 of 6 (475 Views)
Mentor

Game status will not be transferred via only logging in with your Apple ID on your son's iPod Touch and downloading the games.

You need to back up the iPhone via iCloud and then restore the backup to the iPod Touch. If it doesn't work via an iCloud backup/restore, attempt to back up the iPhone via iTunes and restore the backup to the iPod.
Message 6 of 6 (444 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.