not receiving texts

Contributor

not receiving texts

I just got my go phone this past week. When I first got it all the features worked. Now a few days later I am not getting text messages that people are sending me. I will periodically get one, but not all of them. I took the battery out and then put it back in, but still no luck..anyone have any ideas? I don't really want to spend hours on the phone with tech support so I thought I would try here first..

Message 1 of 16 (30,095 Views)
Contributor

Re: not receiving texts

Also I am able to make and receive calls, just no texting.. People are getting mine but I am not getting responses that are being sent back.

Message 2 of 16 (30,078 Views)
Employee

Typically if the issue is only with receiving SMS its likely to be the SIM card or the phone causing the problem.
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 16 (30,074 Views)
Contributor

without someone explaining, I am not sure how this helps, but I also discovered that I am no longer receiving texts as of 12 am May 2.  This is a huge problem as I use sms for my job to communicate with fellow physicians.  How do we solve this problem?

Message 4 of 16 (30,062 Views)
Employee

If you have a captivate make sure you update to at least the 2.2 software or get anew SIM
Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 5 of 16 (30,009 Views)
Contributor

I am haveing the same problem with a Blackberry Tourch not recieving text.

Message 6 of 16 (29,930 Views)
Employee

On a blackberry you should check your firewall settings to make sure its not blocking them
Employee Contributor*
Message 7 of 16 (29,922 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for your info. I am back to receiving txt again on my Blackberry torch..

Message 8 of 16 (29,912 Views)
Contributor

I'm having the same issue.  I have a Samsung Infuse 4G and haven't been receiving texts for the past 3 days.  But I can send texts, make and receive phone calls.  After speaking to tech support for 30 minutes last night , they advised me to get a new SIM card.  I got the new SIM card today, and still am not receiving text messages.  I have also tried turning the phone off and on, and removing the battery, but nothing works.  Does anyone know how to fix this?

Message 9 of 16 (29,695 Views)
Contributor

did you have to pay for the new sim card?
Message 10 of 16 (29,506 Views)
Highlighted

Welcome to the club. I've been dealing with this for 6 weeks with no end in sight, and so have tens of other users. ATT does't know what ithe issue is but will not admit that there is one. Instead I have been shuffled from tech support to warranty to cancellations. It has been a real nightmare. If you want to know what to expect in the weeks to come, click on my username and see my posts from the last few weeks. See also bit.ly/attmiss2 bit.ly/attmiss3 bit.ly/attmiss4 bit.ly/attmiss5 bit.ly/attmiss6. Good luck! Please post here if you ever get your problem solved - no one else ever has.

Message 11 of 16 (29,425 Views)
Contributor

[ Edited ]

If it is receiving calls and not text, standard SMS, It's the SIM card as JFizDaWiz previously stated. Try either cleaning off the SIM card or purchasing a new SIM card. It could be dirty or worn from overheating/every-day use. I had this problem recently. I cleaned the card off and it worked like a charm.

Message 12 of 16 (27,073 Views)

In my case they sent me SIM for free by overnight FEDEX. Pretty cool! Except it turned out to be a network problem that some other department already knew about and not the SIM.
Message 13 of 16 (27,049 Views)
Contributor

I have the same issue of not getting text messages. If I look at my text history in att account, it shows me as getting texts, but my phone doesn't get any. This is my third phone witht the same issue. The third one is a new phone and new sim card, still same issue. Walked out of the tech center with the new phone with the same issue. Att costomer reps blame it on cell tower outage, but no other phone in the family has the issue and they seem to not know what the issue is.

Message 14 of 16 (24,094 Views)
Contributor

I've had this problem several times. The fix is to find another AT&T phone, put your SIM card in it, boot up and make a phone call or send a text. Your backlog of texts (up to 3 days are saved, I think) will start coming in to that phone. Read them & delete if you want. Then put your SIM back in your phone and boot up. The only explanation I've gotten for this is something vague about switching towers and the SIM card getting confused or something. Ridiculous. Most of the techs don't know about it, and will try to give you a new SIM card as their generic fix-all. I'd like to find a fix that doesn't involve another phone, but no luck yet. Hope that helps.
Message 15 of 16 (23,037 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.