nexus 5 requires contract?

Highlighted
Contributor

nexus 5 requires contract?

Hello,

I just purchased a Nexus 5 32 GB model from google and I am looking to switch to AT&T. However, I was just told (in store) that even though I am bringing my own phone to AT&T, I will be FORCED to have a two-year contract. Please tell me this is wrong. I purchased an unlocked non-contract phone so that I wouldn't have to enter a new contract again. (I have had too many bad experiences on contracts).

I really hope this is incorrect.

A concerned possible customer,

David

Message 1 of 5 (2,030 Views)
Community Manager

Re: nexus 5 requires contract?

Hello, stullz!

Welcome to the forums, and thanks for your post!

Normally, if you bring your own equipment you don't need to sign a new contract. However, there are exceptions. Do you have a business discount on your account? Also, what store did you go to? Was it a corporate owned store?

Your answers to those questions will help us figure out the problem. Feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (2,009 Views)
Contributor

Thanks for the response Mariana,

And yes I will have a company discount applied (this is another area of contention, as I have been told in our office that the discount is 12-14 percent, and the AT&T store employee gave me a lower number, so I am looking into that as well). This was an 'Authorized  Reseller' location, but I do plan to stop by a corporate store this evening, to follow up.

Hope that helps clear things up.

Message 3 of 5 (2,007 Views)
Community Manager

Stullz,

Depending on the kind of discount you get, you may be required to sign up with a two year commitment. If you would like, we can review your account and verify this for you. Simply send us a private message by clicking here. If the discount is not the problem, it could be that the authorized retailer has its own set of rules and policies that interfere with what you're trying to do.

In your message, be sure to provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. Keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen for a response.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (1,983 Views)
Tutor

How did this turn out? 

Message 5 of 5 (1,479 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.