Helpful Links

move contact list to iphone 5c

Tutor

move contact list to iphone 5c

I got my first iphone over the weekend, a 5c. I was told by both ATT and Apple that I could not move my contact list to the phone. How can anyone use a smart phone without contact list? The Apple sales told me the phone was fully functional. My conclusion is the phone is functional but useless.

Message 1 of 16
Expert

Re: move contact list to iphone 5c

cpcheng25 wrote:

I got my first iphone over the weekend, a 5c. I was told by both ATT and Apple that I could not move my contact list to the phone. How can anyone use a smart phone without contact list? The Apple sales told me the phone was fully functional. My conclusion is the phone is functional but useless.

you are perfectly able to move a contact list from one iphone to another via itunes or icloud backup, from a different brand phone all bets are off.

Message 2 of 16
Tutor

Like I said in my first post, this was my first iphone and it is still useless.

Message 3 of 16
Professor

What phone are you coming from, and do you have your contacts stored anywhere other than on the phone?

Message 4 of 16
Expert

cpcheng25 wrote:

Like I said in my first post, this was my first iphone and it is still useless.

the manufacturer of the device decided not to include a convience feature of importing the contact list directly on the phone, if you search around you will see that there are apps available to assist you in the transfering of your contacts providing your previous phone has the ability to load them to a PC.

for example - using google

http://www.businessinsider.com/how-to-transfer-contacts-between-android-and-iphone-2012-3?op=1

it works the same way in reverse

using a app

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKs_gNtdtvc

and another method using google

http://www.technobaboy.com/2012/03/27/how-to-transfer-contacts-from-android-to-iphone-4s/

At least you are within the 14 day exchange period if you are that unhappy with the device.

Message 5 of 16
Tutor

My old phone was a Samsung feature phone (not a smart phone). I do not know any other place that can store my contact list. If I had a Android phone, I would have moved to Samsung S4. After all these years, I finally decided to get a smart phone and Apple has such a good name. Unfortunately, my first experience has not been good at all.

Message 6 of 16
Expert

cpcheng25 wrote:

My old phone was a Samsung feature phone (not a smart phone). I do not know any other place that can store my contact list. If I had a Android phone, I would have moved to Samsung S4. After all these years, I finally decided to get a smart phone and Apple has such a good name. Unfortunately, my first experience has not been good at all.

there are advantages and disadvantages to all technology, me I would go back to a bag phone with 5 watts of transmit and recieve power in a new york minute for 100 percent call quality

Message 7 of 16
ACE - Expert

cpcheng25 wrote:

In my humble opinion, you are blaming the wrong phone for your problem. It is not the iPhone that is causing your problem, it is the dumb phone that is not providing you any method to export your contacts. Even if you could import your contacts, you will find the iPhone's contact list contains a whole lot more information about each contact than your old dumb phone. In other words, in order to get full use of your new smart phone contact list, you are going to have to manually enter that missing information anyway, so you might as well just bite the bullet and manually enter your contact info. The good thing is you will only have to do it once. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 16
Tutor

One additional information, both ATT and Apple tole me this was the ios7 issue. The problem does not exist for iphones on eariler os.

Message 9 of 16
Expert

cpcheng25 wrote:

One additional information, both ATT and Apple tole me this was the ios7 issue. The problem does not exist for iphones on eariler os.

ummm - no, has nothing to do with IOS 7

Message 10 of 16
Professor

cpcheng25 wrote:

It would b e the same no matter what smartphone you moved to. If the old phone has no way of exporting the contacts, you can't expect to be able to move them to another phone.

To make things easier, you could type the contacts into an app that iTunes can sync with, such as Outlook. Or get yourself an iCloud account, using the same Apple ID you use with iTunes, add the contacts there and set the iPhone to sync the contacts from there.

Message 11 of 16
Contributor

Since your old phone is not a smart phone, the only way to transfer contacts would be pen and paper.
The old tech is always reliable.
Message 12 of 16
Master

You may need to go to the ATT store and get a new SIM for your old phone but if you can save your contacts to the SIM you can import them to your iPhone.  See this thread: https://discussions.apple.com/message/7423837#7423837 

The SIM may be the wrong size for the iPhone but If you first put it into your old phone, save your contacts, then cut it down to the size for your new iPhone.  I cannot remember if the new sIM's can start off as larger ones then snap off the excess sizes until you get down to the size you need?  Or you could get a SIM adaptor that holds your iPhone SIM but fits your old phone?

Basically there is an option at the bottom of the Settings>mail.....>Import from SIM

The contacts will require a bit of cleanup but that will get you started.  If you can sync your old phones contacts with google, yahoo, or other site, you could then sync that site to your iPhone using the built in tools of the iPHone and/or a Carddav option offered by the site.

As others have stated, your issue is with your old phone! You probably would have this same issue had you purchased an Android phone, etc.....

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 13 of 16

Yes, I'm pretty upset, too.  I have an old rotary-dial landline phone and my contact list is in a little book next to the phone.  My iPhone 5s won't transfer those contacts either.  Crummy technology!

Message 14 of 16
Contributor

Or you can use Dropbox to sync contacts to iPhone from other mobile. Easy to use.

Message 15 of 16
Share this topic
Announcements

Is the iPhone X worth it? Find out why it totally is!

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Let us help you Give the Gift of AT&T Wireless this holiday season!

Additional Support