mom has verizon, wants at&t (add her to familytalk) question

Scholar

mom has verizon, wants at&t (add her to familytalk) question

my mom has verizon and is tired of it/them.  her phone sustained water damage, and she had to sign another 2 year contract with them to get the same phone at subsidized price.

she is still in her 30 days since signing this new 2 year agreement, and wants to come to at&t (i would add her to my account)

can I just go to AT&T and have them port her number and cancel her contract ? or do we have to go to Big Red first and cancel (won't she lose her number this way ?)

Message 1 of 5 (957 Views)
Employee

Re: mom has verizon, wants at&t (add her to familytalk) question

big red?  thats funny i usually call them the dark lord or something like that.  LOL!

anyway, if you cancel her number before porting it, there is nothing to port bc the line is no longer active to port.  it goes back to the verizon pool.  you may have to port it to an account in her name if it is alreayd in her name and then do a transfer of service to put her line into your name and then you can change to the ft plan.  it sounds like a lot of work but the port will only come over to the name of the person whose account it is.  hope that was understandable.  Smiley Happy 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 5 (953 Views)
Scholar

mlefae1 wrote:

big red?  thats funny i usually call them the dark lord or something like that.  LOL!

anyway, if you cancel her number before porting it, there is nothing to port bc the line is no longer active to port.  it goes back to the verizon pool.  you may have to port it to an account in her name if it is alreayd in her name and then do a transfer of service to put her line into your name and then you can change to the ft plan.  it sounds like a lot of work but the port will only come over to the name of the person whose account it is.  hope that was understandable.  Smiley Happy 

Shouldn't have any problems porting her number over to your account.  You can go into an AT&T Corporate store to have it done or you can do it online.  You'll need the full name and social security number or tax ID number of the account holder at Verizon, and the Verizon account number.  The porting FAQs mention needing the billing address but I don't remember putting that into the form.  

Port info can be found here:  

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

You shouldn't have to port it over to an account in her name first and then add it onto your account.  

Last month we ported my mother-in-law's line into our family talk plan and had no issues.  

Message 3 of 5 (942 Views)
Employee

La-La wrote:

mlefae1 wrote:

Shouldn't have any problems porting her number over to your account.  You can go into an AT&T Corporate store to have it done or you can do it online.  You'll need the full name and social security number or tax ID number of the account holder at Verizon, and the Verizon account number.  The porting FAQs mention needing the billing address but I don't remember putting that into the form.  

Port info can be found here:  

http://www.wireless.att.com/learn/basics/transfer-number/porting-faqs.jsp

You shouldn't have to port it over to an account in her name first and then add it onto your account.  

Last month we ported my mother-in-law's line into our family talk plan and had no issues.  

thats good to know.  we've always been told it has to port to the same persons name and then be xfrd over.  thanks!

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 5 (936 Views)
Highlighted
Contributor

Re: mom has Verizon, wants at&t (add her to familytalk) question

Wow making here upgrade is wrong. Call 1-888-898-7685 this is porting team. Keep the number active and AT&T will cancel the line. You want go ahead and contact Sprint and request return information without canceling the account because they will ant that device back if it was an upgrade deal. 24-72 process. You can do this at a store if you desire or online.

Message 5 of 5 (929 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.