Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Nov 5, 2013
10:26:13 AM
View profile
misuse of online access

Question: if an account holder never sets up online access to their acct. but someone else does and uses that access to shut down service, move service to another device, and generally wreak havoc, is there an option to disallow online access to that account, at least temporarily?  So far, the "someone else" has thwarted attempts by the account holder and AT&T to put an end to the mischief. At this point the account holder simply wants to take back control of service. Even if there's an option of pressing some sort of criminal charge that's regarded as a last resort as it could result in the loss of "someone else's" professional license.

TIA

Question: if an account holder never sets up online access to their acct. but someone else does and uses that access to shut down service, move service to another device, and generally wreak havoc, is there an option to disallow online access to that account, at least temporarily?  So far, the "someone else" has thwarted attempts by the account holder and AT&T to put an end to the mischief. At this point the account holder simply wants to take back control of service. Even if there's an option of pressing some sort of criminal charge that's regarded as a last resort as it could result in the loss of "someone else's" professional license.

TIA

misuse of online access

4 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(4)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 5, 2013 11:09:11 AM
(0)
Community Manager

Hello, procyon!

Thanks for your post! It sounds like you have quite a complicated situation. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can get this sorted out as quickly as possible.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

Hello, procyon!

Thanks for your post! It sounds like you have quite a complicated situation. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can get this sorted out as quickly as possible.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, please feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Did a post have a solution that worked for you? Help other people find solutions faster by marking posts that helped you as an "Accepted Solution". Learn about accepted solutions: Learn More.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

Re: misuse of online access

2 of 5 (1,102 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 6, 2013 1:24:34 PM
(0)
Mentor

Thank you for the prompt reply and link but the account in question isn't mine. It's in the name of an employee of our family business. His cell is his only means of communication and internet access for business and personal purposes. Yesterday, he spent over an hour on my landline with ATT CS trying to resolve the problem, to no avail. It was frustrating to listen to him have to explain in full, yet again, to several different reps everything that's transpired over the course of the last two weeks (two elective service suspensions he didn't request and, night before last, transfer of service to a device that's not in his possession). The reps are probably under the assumption that he set up and is able to access the account online because I don't think he's ever spelled it out for them that he didn't and isn't. In fact, he didn't really understand that's how the "someone else" (an ex-wife) is controlling his service and knows immediately when passwords and other account attributes are changed until I spoke to him after his last call to ATT CS.

It's a tedious mess. Business comm issues have been solved by purchase of a GoPhone but he'd really like to take back control of his account. Service is currently suspended at *his* request because he's under the impression ATT can offer no further help in resolving this problem that would not involve the potential of charges being filed v. his ex. He fears that could imperil her professional (RN) license, i.e. her means of supporting herself without help from him. 

I've encouraged him to call CS again, spell out the facts that he hasn't already, and see if they can either disable online access or suspend notifications to the email address currently associated with it. If there is a better way to proceed or more helpful information that I could convey to him please let me know. Thanks.

Thank you for the prompt reply and link but the account in question isn't mine. It's in the name of an employee of our family business. His cell is his only means of communication and internet access for business and personal purposes. Yesterday, he spent over an hour on my landline with ATT CS trying to resolve the problem, to no avail. It was frustrating to listen to him have to explain in full, yet again, to several different reps everything that's transpired over the course of the last two weeks (two elective service suspensions he didn't request and, night before last, transfer of service to a device that's not in his possession). The reps are probably under the assumption that he set up and is able to access the account online because I don't think he's ever spelled it out for them that he didn't and isn't. In fact, he didn't really understand that's how the "someone else" (an ex-wife) is controlling his service and knows immediately when passwords and other account attributes are changed until I spoke to him after his last call to ATT CS.

It's a tedious mess. Business comm issues have been solved by purchase of a GoPhone but he'd really like to take back control of his account. Service is currently suspended at *his* request because he's under the impression ATT can offer no further help in resolving this problem that would not involve the potential of charges being filed v. his ex. He fears that could imperil her professional (RN) license, i.e. her means of supporting herself without help from him. 

I've encouraged him to call CS again, spell out the facts that he hasn't already, and see if they can either disable online access or suspend notifications to the email address currently associated with it. If there is a better way to proceed or more helpful information that I could convey to him please let me know. Thanks.

3 of 5 (1,064 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 6:17:24 AM
(0)
Community Manager
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:34:21 PM

Hey, there!

Thanks for clarifying. In this case, I would still encourage him to send us a private message here on the forums using the link in my previous post. Could you maybe point him in our direction and get him registered as a user so he can message us? We have a dedicated team that only handles escalations from the forums, and they will work very hard to get this resolved for him, especially since it's an account security issue.

Once again, the team that works with the forums is not the same customer care team he's been in contact with over the phone. He'll be working directly with one of our representatives.

Let me know if you have any questions or concerns.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

Hey, there!

Thanks for clarifying. In this case, I would still encourage him to send us a private message here on the forums using the link in my previous post. Could you maybe point him in our direction and get him registered as a user so he can message us? We have a dedicated team that only handles escalations from the forums, and they will work very hard to get this resolved for him, especially since it's an account security issue.

Once again, the team that works with the forums is not the same customer care team he's been in contact with over the phone. He'll be working directly with one of our representatives.

-Mariana

Rethink Possible

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s position, strategies or opinions.

[ Edited ]
4 of 5 (1,046 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 9:06:32 PM
(0)
Mentor
Edited by ATTDmitriyCM on Jan 15, 2014 at 12:35:39 PM

ATTMarianaCM wrote:

Hey, there!

-Mariana

Thanks. Asap, I'll have him email or register here & use the link to send the info specified in your initial reply.

ATTMarianaCM wrote:

Hey, there!

-Mariana

Thanks. Asap, I'll have him email or register here & use the link to send the info specified in your initial reply.

[ Edited ]
5 of 5 (1,023 Views)