Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Oct 11, 2013
2:42:46 PM
microcell will not activate

I have uverse internet, no tv or phone. I bought a microcell from a friend, registered it, and connected to my network uverse "modem." I have solid green lights on ethernet and gps but the 3g light blinks green. I have called tech support, tried various connections, still no luck. The support person told me my account was setup correctly and it should work. It appears that the uverse firewall is blocking the microcell. I cleared the microcell ip address through the firewall using "applications, firewall, and dmz" allowing all applications, protocols and ports. Can anybody provide some more possible solutions?

I have uverse internet, no tv or phone. I bought a microcell from a friend, registered it, and connected to my network uverse "modem." I have solid green lights on ethernet and gps but the 3g light blinks green. I have called tech support, tried various connections, still no luck. The support person told me my account was setup correctly and it should work. It appears that the uverse firewall is blocking the microcell. I cleared the microcell ip address through the firewall using "applications, firewall, and dmz" allowing all applications, protocols and ports. Can anybody provide some more possible solutions?

microcell will not activate

25 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(25)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 8:18:31 PM
(0)
ACE - Expert
Edited by JefferMC on Oct 11, 2013 at 8:20:08 PM

If you haven't already, take a look at this guide written by another AT&T customer who has gone to a lot of trouble to figure out how to get it to work:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MicroCell-Technical-Guide/m-p/3547115#M11506

I have also asked a moderator to move your post to the MicroCell sub form of the Wireless area to help you get better responses.

If you haven't already, take a look at this guide written by another AT&T customer who has gone to a lot of trouble to figure out how to get it to work:

http://forums.att.com/t5/3G-MicroCell/MicroCell-Technical-Guide/m-p/3547115#M11506

I have also asked a moderator to move your post to the MicroCell sub form of the Wireless area to help you get better responses.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: microcell will not activate

[ Edited ]
2 of 26 (3,061 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 11, 2013 10:29:34 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

catsreallystink wrote:

I don't have U-Verse but by any chance would you be using a Pace modem with your U-Verse service? Another poster had issues with the Pace and as soon as he switched to a Motorola modem, his 3G turned solid green and service was establshed. See the Technical Guide (link in my sig) for suggestions, or post back here.

MicroCell Technical Guide by Otto Pylot

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

catsreallystink wrote:

I don't have U-Verse but by any chance would you be using a Pace modem with your U-Verse service? Another poster had issues with the Pace and as soon as he switched to a Motorola modem, his 3G turned solid green and service was establshed. See the Technical Guide (link in my sig) for suggestions, or post back here.

I am not an AT&T employee. For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

3 of 26 (3,038 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 3:21:20 PM
(0)
Tutor

Thanks, Otto, nice read. I hope many more people benifit from your time. My modem is a Pace. I'll try calling customer support and see if a swap to motorola is available. Once again, thanks!

Hugh

Thanks, Otto, nice read. I hope many more people benifit from your time. My modem is a Pace. I'll try calling customer support and see if a swap to motorola is available. Once again, thanks!

Hugh

4 of 26 (3,010 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 4:36:03 PM
(0)
Tutor

I appreciate your moving this. I didn't find a microcell topic area when I posted the questions

I appreciate your moving this. I didn't find a microcell topic area when I posted the questions

5 of 26 (3,005 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 12, 2013 7:52:30 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I think one of the Admins moved it here but now that you're in the right spot, let us know what happens. It may not be the Pace according to a couple of ACE's from the U-verse forum but another poster was successful with a modem switch. There are some reported DNS issues with the Motorola but I believe there is a fix online.

I think one of the Admins moved it here but now that you're in the right spot, let us know what happens. It may not be the Pace according to a couple of ACE's from the U-verse forum but another poster was successful with a modem switch. There are some reported DNS issues with the Motorola but I believe there is a fix online.

6 of 26 (2,998 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 8:13:40 AM
(0)
Contributor

Thanks very much for your very detailed report. I am a 23 year retiree with ATT and continue to fight like heck in order to keep my ATT Wireless service.  The microcell seems like a nice idea but at $39.95 a month, PLUS my Internet provider AND the phone, it seems rather expensive.

Your report at least lets me realize why the thing works so poorly. Worst Citrix experience I have ever had, that's for sure.

David G.

Thanks very much for your very detailed report. I am a 23 year retiree with ATT and continue to fight like heck in order to keep my ATT Wireless service.  The microcell seems like a nice idea but at $39.95 a month, PLUS my Internet provider AND the phone, it seems rather expensive.

Your report at least lets me realize why the thing works so poorly. Worst Citrix experience I have ever had, that's for sure.

David G.

7 of 26 (2,980 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 1:40:27 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

dgstern51 wrote:

David G.

There is no monthly cost for the MicroCell outside of the initial purchase price. There is an optional call plan but it's not $39.95 per month.

I'm not sure what you mean about Citrix. I use Citrix thru a secure VPN to login to work but that's with my laptop and has nothing to do with the MicroCell. Citirx in general, at least in my experience, is crap.

dgstern51 wrote:

David G.

There is no monthly cost for the MicroCell outside of the initial purchase price. There is an optional call plan but it's not $39.95 per month.

I'm not sure what you mean about Citrix. I use Citrix thru a secure VPN to login to work but that's with my laptop and has nothing to do with the MicroCell. Citirx in general, at least in my experience, is crap.

8 of 26 (2,971 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 13, 2013 4:14:12 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor

dgstem51....why would you have to fight like heck to keep service? 

dgstem51....why would you have to fight like heck to keep service? 

9 of 26 (2,966 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 11:35:51 AM
(0)
Tutor

It's been quite a trip but in the end, the microcell just can't work with the type of uverse circuit I am on. The Motorola was not an option because of the circuit type. One suggestion was to find different router to replace the Pace, but I never could get a list of options. I could go back to DSL, maybe, but I don't think much of that option. I hate cable tv but can check on cable internet without the tv. I appreciate all the help I received here, great community.

It's been quite a trip but in the end, the microcell just can't work with the type of uverse circuit I am on. The Motorola was not an option because of the circuit type. One suggestion was to find different router to replace the Pace, but I never could get a list of options. I could go back to DSL, maybe, but I don't think much of that option. I hate cable tv but can check on cable internet without the tv. I appreciate all the help I received here, great community.

10 of 26 (2,504 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 12:59:05 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Type of circuit? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then again I don't have U-verse (only DSL from an independent ISP) so I'm not sure what they do. As long as the ports that are listed in the Guide are open then you should be ok. You might want to post the "type of circuit" question in the U-verse forum to get a better explanation and modem/router options. I don't have a lot of faith in support when it comes to MicroCell configuration questions.

Type of circuit? That doesn't make a lot of sense to me but then again I don't have U-verse (only DSL from an independent ISP) so I'm not sure what they do. As long as the ports that are listed in the Guide are open then you should be ok. You might want to post the "type of circuit" question in the U-verse forum to get a better explanation and modem/router options. I don't have a lot of faith in support when it comes to MicroCell configuration questions.

11 of 26 (2,498 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 5:04:06 PM
(0)
ACE - Professor
Edited by Avedis53 on Nov 7, 2013 at 5:04:33 PM

I think what catsreallystink is talking about when he says circuit is the type of DSL service he is getting from Uverse.

My understanding is the type of gateway supplied by AT&T for Uverse is dependent on the service you are using.  Uverse uses VDSL2 for installations using TV, internet and voice.  They use ADSL2+ for internet and voice only.

If the OP was using a Pace 5031NV on the Uverse, it's my understanding that it will handle both VDSL2 and ADSL2+.  Since there have been problems reported regarding connecting a Mcell through a Pace, then replacing that gateway with another is certainly something to try before giving up.  The OP needs to contact AT&T and determine whether he has VDSL2 or ADSL2+ service.  I'm guessing he's on ADSL2+ since he doesn't get digital TV service.

Motorola makes a gateway that could work in this case.  The Motorola NVG 510 will work on ADSL2+.  There are also some 2Wire gateways that could work that are ADSL2+ capable.  If he's on VDSL2 then there are other Motorola gateways that could be used.

Maybe he'll post back with the type of service and we can get him pointed in the right direction.

I think what catsreallystink is talking about when he says circuit is the type of DSL service he is getting from Uverse.

My understanding is the type of gateway supplied by AT&T for Uverse is dependent on the service you are using.  Uverse uses VDSL2 for installations using TV, internet and voice.  They use ADSL2+ for internet and voice only.

If the OP was using a Pace 5031NV on the Uverse, it's my understanding that it will handle both VDSL2 and ADSL2+.  Since there have been problems reported regarding connecting a Mcell through a Pace, then replacing that gateway with another is certainly something to try before giving up.  The OP needs to contact AT&T and determine whether he has VDSL2 or ADSL2+ service.  I'm guessing he's on ADSL2+ since he doesn't get digital TV service.

Motorola makes a gateway that could work in this case.  The Motorola NVG 510 will work on ADSL2+.  There are also some 2Wire gateways that could work that are ADSL2+ capable.  If he's on VDSL2 then there are other Motorola gateways that could be used.

Maybe he'll post back with the type of service and we can get him pointed in the right direction.

[ Edited ]
12 of 26 (2,487 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 7, 2013 5:26:46 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Thanks. Guess I need to talk to the U-verse ACEs and find out the difference betweeb VDSL2 and ADSL2+ and why it won't work, or work well, for VOIP. I wonder why U-verse support wouldn't give him a Motorola that would work, they have for other customers.

Thanks. Guess I need to talk to the U-verse ACEs and find out the difference betweeb VDSL2 and ADSL2+ and why it won't work, or work well, for VOIP. I wonder why U-verse support wouldn't give him a Motorola that would work, they have for other customers.

13 of 26 (2,483 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 9:37:29 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

I've never been a fan of DSL because of its limitations.  Line conditions, the distance between your home and the DSL Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) and the number of people using the DSLAM at any given time ultimately determine your actual bandwidth.  There's only so much you can do with twisted-pair copper wire.  That's why I prefer cable internet because coaxial cable systems can handle higher bandwidths over a lot longer distances.

The difference between VDSL2 and ADSL2+ is essentially additional bandwidth due to more channels and a higher frequency modulation for VDSL2.  That's why U-verse uses VDSL2 for HDTV, Internet and VOIP packages while using ADSL2+ for Internet and VOIP packages.  HDTV eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Theoretically VDSL2 can achieve 100 Mbps download and upload speeds, but that performance is dependent on the limitations I mentioned above.  ADSL2+ can theoretically achieve 24 Mbps download  and 1 Mbps upload speed and is affected similiarly.  In fact, ADSL2+ will drop to DSL speeds of 2 Mbps at a distance of only 3.4 miles from the telephone exchange.

VOIP should work with either VDSL2 or ADSL2+.  I think there is a compatibility issue between the Pace gateway and the Mcell as demonstrated by another poster who solved the problem by replacing the Pace with a Motorola gateway.

As to why the OP can't get a compatible Motorola gateway from U-verse, I can't understand.   

I've never been a fan of DSL because of its limitations.  Line conditions, the distance between your home and the DSL Access Multiplexer (DSLAM) and the number of people using the DSLAM at any given time ultimately determine your actual bandwidth.  There's only so much you can do with twisted-pair copper wire.  That's why I prefer cable internet because coaxial cable systems can handle higher bandwidths over a lot longer distances.

The difference between VDSL2 and ADSL2+ is essentially additional bandwidth due to more channels and a higher frequency modulation for VDSL2.  That's why U-verse uses VDSL2 for HDTV, Internet and VOIP packages while using ADSL2+ for Internet and VOIP packages.  HDTV eats up a lot of bandwidth.

Theoretically VDSL2 can achieve 100 Mbps download and upload speeds, but that performance is dependent on the limitations I mentioned above.  ADSL2+ can theoretically achieve 24 Mbps download  and 1 Mbps upload speed and is affected similiarly.  In fact, ADSL2+ will drop to DSL speeds of 2 Mbps at a distance of only 3.4 miles from the telephone exchange.

VOIP should work with either VDSL2 or ADSL2+.  I think there is a compatibility issue between the Pace gateway and the Mcell as demonstrated by another poster who solved the problem by replacing the Pace with a Motorola gateway.

As to why the OP can't get a compatible Motorola gateway from U-verse, I can't understand.   

14 of 26 (2,458 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 10:11:26 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Avedis53 wrote:

My question as well.

As far as DSL goes, we are only 3800 copper feet from the CO so our connection is provisioned at 20Mbps and we are always able to maintain a stable 17-18Mbps connection any time of the day or night regardless of how many are using the DSLAM. Ever since our ISP took over the copper from AT&T we have had zero problems for the last few years. They also took over our landline and rolled all that into one monthly cost of $50 including taxes. Unusual for sure but I can't complain Smiley Happy. Beats the heck out of paying Comcrap or AT&T for questionable service at times and ever-escalating costs.

Avedis53 wrote:

My question as well.

As far as DSL goes, we are only 3800 copper feet from the CO so our connection is provisioned at 20Mbps and we are always able to maintain a stable 17-18Mbps connection any time of the day or night regardless of how many are using the DSLAM. Ever since our ISP took over the copper from AT&T we have had zero problems for the last few years. They also took over our landline and rolled all that into one monthly cost of $50 including taxes. Unusual for sure but I can't complain Smiley Happy. Beats the heck out of paying Comcrap or AT&T for questionable service at times and ever-escalating costs.

15 of 26 (2,452 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 9:44:10 AM
(0)
Tutor

I learned of the "circuit type" from an ATT installer friend who was checking on the modem swap for me. I will get back in touch with him about the circuit. I really would prefer to keep my ATT cell service. I live in an area (central Okla) where ATT provides by far the best general coverage. There are a few dead spots, but I now them and can live with them. Version coverage is still spotty here and with ATT's rollover minutes and a family plan, the price can't be beat.

I will post back with the circuit info and may be somebody can guide me to a modem/router that will work.

I learned of the "circuit type" from an ATT installer friend who was checking on the modem swap for me. I will get back in touch with him about the circuit. I really would prefer to keep my ATT cell service. I live in an area (central Okla) where ATT provides by far the best general coverage. There are a few dead spots, but I now them and can live with them. Version coverage is still spotty here and with ATT's rollover minutes and a family plan, the price can't be beat.

I will post back with the circuit info and may be somebody can guide me to a modem/router that will work.

16 of 26 (2,421 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 10:18:19 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

I would push them for the Motorola modem, or something other than the Pace. There is another poster who had the same issue as you and once he got the Motorola, all was well. Of course he didn't mention the type of service but it might be worth being persistent about. Lemme check with the U-verse ACE and see if he knows anything about the differences in the Pace vs Mototola and the type of service.

I would push them for the Motorola modem, or something other than the Pace. There is another poster who had the same issue as you and once he got the Motorola, all was well. Of course he didn't mention the type of service but it might be worth being persistent about. Lemme check with the U-verse ACE and see if he knows anything about the differences in the Pace vs Mototola and the type of service.

17 of 26 (2,417 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 10:35:17 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

@catsreallystink - this is what I was able to come up with:

If you have U-verse ADSL2+, the Motorola NGV 510 appears to have DNS issues for some which will cause all kinds of problems. The PACE 5031 seems to be much more stable.

If you have U-verse VDSL2, the Mototola NVG 589 is a much better box than the older 2Wire 3x0x boxes (if that's an option).

Keep in mind that the PACE and Motorola have different firmware setups and use different terms for the same function so configuration settings may not be the same due to the "naming" difference. IOW, you might not be able to copy your config settings between the two.

I'll try to get some better info but that's all I have for the moment.

@catsreallystink - this is what I was able to come up with:

If you have U-verse ADSL2+, the Motorola NGV 510 appears to have DNS issues for some which will cause all kinds of problems. The PACE 5031 seems to be much more stable.

If you have U-verse VDSL2, the Mototola NVG 589 is a much better box than the older 2Wire 3x0x boxes (if that's an option).

Keep in mind that the PACE and Motorola have different firmware setups and use different terms for the same function so configuration settings may not be the same due to the "naming" difference. IOW, you might not be able to copy your config settings between the two.

I'll try to get some better info but that's all I have for the moment.

18 of 26 (2,413 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 2:56:26 PM
(0)
Tutor

It's been a while since I've been able to talk to my "uverse specialist" locally. He says I have a VRAD circuit and only the Pace modem I have now will work. I appreciate all the help on this but the local ATT folks are not fans of the microcell.

It's been a while since I've been able to talk to my "uverse specialist" locally. He says I have a VRAD circuit and only the Pace modem I have now will work. I appreciate all the help on this but the local ATT folks are not fans of the microcell.

19 of 26 (2,209 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 4:14:47 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

VRAD (Video Relay Access Device) is deployed because of the VDSL distance limitations (FTTN or FTTP) in areas where AT&T feels that the ROI of laying fiber for their services is justified. It has greater bandwidth capabilities that ADSL2+ which allows for IPTV.

VDSL is a bit more tempermental and less tolerant of line faults such a bridge taps and thus is a bit more difficult to install correctly. Correct installation is the key.

In theory, any modem with work with either ADLS2+ or VDSL2. The new Pace 5031 will actually work for ADSL2+ but it isn't indicated for that use and thus not offered.

The Pace 5031 is the newest VDSL2 RG for those who don't have IPTV and don't have a bonded pair line. These are sold to the customer.

The Motorola NVG 589 is the newest VDSL2 RG for those who do have a bonded pair but that requires a special NID installed on the back or side of the house.

The Motorola NVG 510 is the newest and "best" ADSL2+ modem but does have some issues unless you can get a firmware update.

Your local AT&T folks are not fans of the MicroCell because One, they haven't a clue how it works and Two, proper installation and checking of your line out to the VRAD takes extra time and quite often, they don't want to spend the time to make sure all of your services work, i.e. VOIP.

VRAD (Video Relay Access Device) is deployed because of the VDSL distance limitations (FTTN or FTTP) in areas where AT&T feels that the ROI of laying fiber for their services is justified. It has greater bandwidth capabilities that ADSL2+ which allows for IPTV.

VDSL is a bit more tempermental and less tolerant of line faults such a bridge taps and thus is a bit more difficult to install correctly. Correct installation is the key.

In theory, any modem with work with either ADLS2+ or VDSL2. The new Pace 5031 will actually work for ADSL2+ but it isn't indicated for that use and thus not offered.

The Pace 5031 is the newest VDSL2 RG for those who don't have IPTV and don't have a bonded pair line. These are sold to the customer.

The Motorola NVG 589 is the newest VDSL2 RG for those who do have a bonded pair but that requires a special NID installed on the back or side of the house.

The Motorola NVG 510 is the newest and "best" ADSL2+ modem but does have some issues unless you can get a firmware update.

Your local AT&T folks are not fans of the MicroCell because One, they haven't a clue how it works and Two, proper installation and checking of your line out to the VRAD takes extra time and quite often, they don't want to spend the time to make sure all of your services work, i.e. VOIP.

20 of 26 (2,200 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 8:28:02 PM
(0)
Tutor

Wow, lots of info Otto Pylot! So it seems my microcell is not an opton, am I understanding correctly?

Wow, lots of info Otto Pylot! So it seems my microcell is not an opton, am I understanding correctly?

21 of 26 (2,190 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 23, 2013 10:09:00 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Which Pace RG do you have?

Which Pace RG do you have?

22 of 26 (2,183 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 2:52:33 PM
(0)
Tutor

I have a 3801 HGV

I have a 3801 HGV

23 of 26 (2,078 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 26, 2013 6:18:02 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

Maybe you can try the 5031 if you push AT&T.

Maybe you can try the 5031 if you push AT&T.

24 of 26 (2,066 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2013 2:32:22 PM
(0)
Tutor

I'll try and let you know how I come out. I have some connections, that may help (but hasn't so far!). Happy Thanksgiving!!

I'll try and let you know how I come out. I have some connections, that may help (but hasn't so far!). Happy Thanksgiving!!

25 of 26 (2,012 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 28, 2013 2:48:48 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I hope that works. If not, come back and we'll keep trying to figure it out. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

I hope that works. If not, come back and we'll keep trying to figure it out. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours as well!

26 of 26 (2,010 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments