iphone unlocked but AT&T is still listed as Carrier

iphone unlocked but AT&T is still listed as Carrier

I plan to use my phone overseas. I completed the form and AT&T unlocked my phone. However, when I insert another sim I can't send mms texts. AT&T is still listed as carrier although they are not. How to I fix this?

Message 1 of 17 (5,608 Views)
Master

Re: iphone unlocked but AT&T is still listed as Carrier

howyaluvdat wrote:

I plan to use my phone overseas. I completed the form and AT&T unlocked my phone. However, when I insert another sim I can't send mms texts. AT&T is still listed as carrier although they are not. How to I fix this?

Did you get an email from ATT saying that your iPhone has been unlocked? if so, did you then perform a restore in iTunes to get the message that your iPhone has been unlocked?

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 2 of 17 (5,566 Views)
Highlighted
Scholar

What is the this "other SIM" you inserted? It's entirely possible the other SIM is roaming into AT&T's network hence it still says AT&T.

-= ranron =-
Silver iPhone 5s - AT&T / 450 Rollover Minutes + 200 Bonus Minutes / Unlimited Int'l Data / 50 Roaming Messages / WorldTraveler / WorldConnect
Gray iPhone 5s - China Mobile / 1200 Minutes / 3GB data

[Note: I am not affiliated with AT&T]
Message 3 of 17 (5,411 Views)

I received the message that the phone was unlocked. I inserted the new sim, but I can't send mms and AT&T still shows as my carrier under settings.

Message 4 of 17 (5,195 Views)
ACE - Master

howyaluvdat wrote:

I received the message that the phone was unlocked. I inserted the new sim, but I can't send mms and AT&T still shows as my carrier under settings.

Are you able to make phone calls with the new sim?. If so, then your phone is unlocked and your inability to send mms is because cellular data with your new sim is not working.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 17 (5,180 Views)

I can make calls, but there is a tabbin my settings labeled "Cellular Network." I don't have it. I was told that because my phone was locked under AT&T, the tab was inactivated. Once the carrier info is deleted I will have acces to the tab. So now that The phone is unlocked, how can I delete carrier settings?
Message 6 of 17 (5,098 Views)
Expert

howyaluvdat wrote:

Who's sim is it? T-mobile?

Message 7 of 17 (5,092 Views)

Straight Talk

Message 8 of 17 (4,935 Views)
ACE - Master

howyaluvdat wrote:

Straight Talk

That is because Straight Talk is not a carrier, they use other carrier's networks, including AT&T'S. In fact, you did not need to unlock your phone to use Straight Talk. 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 17 (4,911 Views)
Tutor

[ Edited ]

I paid at&t for my iphone's carrier unlock..i got reply mail from at&t as confirmed.but still says sim not vallid and listed carrier as at&t..is this is a play of at&t..any one have a solution for this and my IMEI***** .REQUIRED HELP FROM AT&T COSTUMER CARE.

[edited for privacy]

Message 10 of 17 (3,403 Views)
Expert

[ Edited ]

suhail.vp wrote:

I paid at&t for my iphone's carrier unlock..i got reply mail from at&t as confirmed.but still says sim not vallid and listed carrier as at&t..is this is a play of at&t..any one have a solution for this and my IMEI***** .REQUIRED HELP FROM AT&T COSTUMER CARE.

[edited for privacy]

you need to backup the device and restore as a new device, att does not unlock the phone, it sends a request to Apple to flag your phone as unlocked, this details it at Apple Support. ATT is out of the picture

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014

Also curious about the commet "I paid at&t for my iphone's carrier unlock" ATT does not charge anything for a unlock as long as you meet the requirements of the service

Message 11 of 17 (3,390 Views)
ACE - Master

wingrider01 wrote:

suhail.vp wrote:

[edited for privacy]

you need to backup the device and restore as a new device, att does not unlock the phone, it sends a request to Apple to flag your phone as unlocked, this details it at Apple Support. ATT is out of the picture

Also curious about the commet "I paid at&t for my iphone's carrier unlock" ATT does not charge anything for a unlock as long as you meet the requirements of the service

If he paid someone, he probably got scammed and the phone has not actually been unlocked. 

Message 12 of 17 (3,378 Views)
Expert

sandblaster wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

suhail.vp wrote:

[edited for privacy]

If he paid someone, he probably got scammed and the phone has not actually been unlocked. 

same thing crossed my mind

Message 13 of 17 (3,374 Views)
Tutor

Ooops,can i check it is in process or not with ma IMEI? Any at&t websites? Or anyone says how much day for carrier unlock?
Message 14 of 17 (3,352 Views)
Master

suhail.vp wrote:
Ooops,can i check it is in process or not with ma IMEI? Any at&t websites? Or anyone says how much day for carrier unlock?

There is no ATT web site to validate your unlock while it is in process that I am aware of.  ATT DOES NOT charge for unlocking.  If you are paying someone, they are a third party and they may NOT be reputable??????

If you are not or have not been an ATT customer with that iPhone on your account, they are not going to unlock your iPhone for you and you are at the mercy of the secondary market that again may or may not work!

For service or support questions including existing order status, call:
Customer Support: 1-800-331-0500

Information on iPhone unlocking can be found here by copying this link into your browser:
https://www.att.com/deviceunlock/client/en_US/
Message 15 of 17 (3,323 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.