iphone 5, ios 7.0.3, phone new 04/2013, no MMS come through, some texts never come through

Tutor

iphone 5, ios 7.0.3, phone new 04/2013, no MMS come through, some texts never come through

AT&T handed it off to Apple, back and forth for weeks and no resolution short of wiping the phone without restoring my data (IOW, losing all my data.)That's not acceptable because I have texts I need to save as well as call history. My wife had the same problem on her iphone 4, and we upgraded her to a Lumia 1020 and her problems were gone. Of course so were her textxs, etc. Not a happy Apple user, or AT&T customer right now.

For the record, all settings have been checked and checked again: data, mms, reset network, reset all, imesage on and off, nothing works except reset all and don't restore anything from backup. This is crazy!

Message 1 of 8
Community Manager

Re: iphone 5, ios 7.0.3, phone new 04/2013, no MMS come through, some texts never come through

Hello, unclewade!

Thank you for your post. I'm so sorry to hear that you're having issues receiving messages on your device. If you don't mind, please send us a private message by clicking here so we can get this sorted out for you.

In your message, please provide your name, phone number, email address, and the best time to reach you. You can expect a reply within two business days, so please keep an eye on the little blue envelope icon in the top right corner of your screen.

In the meantime, feel free to message me with any additional questions or concerns!

-Mariana

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 8
Tutor

Re: iphone 5, ios 7.0.3, phone new 04/2013, no MMS come through, some texts never come through

An AppleCare Senior Advisor is no longer answering my emails. I already went through AT&T engineers who sent me to Apple where it was escated but unresolved. I started back in September with a visit to an AT&T corporate store, where they sent me to the regional AT&T device support store.

I've spent at least 6 hours on the phone already, and if I billed my consulting rate I could buy an unlocked iPhone 5S with plenty of room for Christmas shopping. 

I did reply as requested, (all of text above) but I'm tired of spending endless hours on the phone backing up, resetting, restoring, etc.

Message 3 of 8
Tutor

And for the record I've had the problem since the phone was new in April.

Message 4 of 8
Voyager

Do you upgrade from another iPhone? I had this problem and found out that some texts were routed to my old iphone. If so, go to your old phone and go to settings/messages and turn off imessage. I'm assuming that the support you've already have made sure your "send as SMS", "MMS Messaging" and "Group Messaging" settings are set to on (green).

Message 5 of 8
Tutor

It was an upgrade, but the old phone was wiped and became my wife's. Yeah, we set everything on. tried toggling off/on, reset the messaging at the AT&T plan level. No Joy! Wiping the phone and not restoring my data (IOW setting up as a completely new phone) works, but of course that means my call history and text messages are gone. For a couple of personal reasons that is absolutely not acceptable.

Message 6 of 8
Voyager

Did you receive a new number when you got this phone or is it the same number you had before? Are the text messages that don't come through consistently from the same people?

Message 7 of 8
Tutor

Same number I've had since the 90's. All MMS (pics, contact shares, etc.) plus just certain SMS messages are not coming through. MMS will show a preview notification with the tiny thumbnail, but opening the message just shows a box (normally shown when something actually is downloading) that says "downloading" with the filename and size, but it's not actaully downloading and the picture (or whatever) never shows up. There are certain SMS senders that no longer work, e.g. my bank and my alarm company. The same senders work fine on my wifes line...

Message 8 of 8
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support