iphone 5 data usage out of control !!!!!!!

Tutor

iphone 5 data usage out of control !!!!!!!

In less than 48 hours my sons iphone 5 has used 658+mb of data.  Granted it's a new toy, but...   I got my HTC One a month ago, and after a month of me and my two kids playing on it I used 573mb of data.  So far this month my phone has used 324mb's and with the less than two days of my son's iphone 5 usage of 658mb our data plan is going to be up in a matter of seconds with a solid week to go.   Why does the iphone 5 use soooo much data compared to my HTC???  why does the iphone 5 show using triple amount of data for going on instagram compared to my HTC???  Sidenote:  My daughter has the iphone 4s, and is constantly on it,  Last month her data usage was 738mbs.  I am seriously thinking about returning the iphone 5!!!!!

Message 1 of 18 (9,415 Views)
Expert

Re: iphone 5 data usage out of control !!!!!!!

mafitz wrote:

In less than 48 hours my sons iphone 5 has used 658+mb of data.  Granted it's a new toy, but...   I got my HTC One a month ago, and after a month of me and my two kids playing on it I used 573mb of data.  So far this month my phone has used 324mb's and with the less than two days of my son's iphone 5 usage of 658mb our data plan is going to be up in a matter of seconds with a solid week to go.   Why does the iphone 5 use soooo much data compared to my HTC???  why does the iphone 5 show using triple amount of data for going on instagram compared to my HTC???  Sidenote:  My daughter has the iphone 4s, and is constantly on it,  Last month her data usage was 738mbs.  I am seriously thinking about returning the iphone 5!!!!!

what apps are installed on the phone? YouTube, Pandora, Facebook, twitter, and other apps tend to chew up data quickly.

If she has had the phonemore then 14 days there is no return possible.

Message 2 of 18 (9,364 Views)
Master

I use 1GB a month but I don't watch movies or TV shows on mine an occasional music video ,web surfing and email so not sure what content he is using.

Message 3 of 18 (9,360 Views)
Tutor

he has instagram, just put pandora on yesterday afternoon, and some games. doesn't use facebook, twitter..even though they are on there.
Thing is, those are the same apps on my phone and I don't use nearly the data.
Thought there was a 30 day return policy, well it's only been activated for 2 full days now. - thanks!
Message 4 of 18 (9,285 Views)
Expert

mafitz wrote:
he has instagram, just put pandora on yesterday afternoon, and some games. doesn't use facebook, twitter..even though they are on there.
Thing is, those are the same apps on my phone and I don't use nearly the data.
Thought there was a 30 day return policy, well it's only been activated for 2 full days now. - thanks!

the return policy is 14 days, it changed a couple of months ago.

Are all the icloud backup, sync, itunes sync, send diagnostic info, etc turned off in the settings page? Instagram is a HD video / photo sharing app, depending on the resolution it can chew up data usage

Message 5 of 18 (9,252 Views)
Master

I found a long time ago if you are going to view any video get on wi-fi as Wingrider stated HD video will chew up data on any phone on any provider.

Message 6 of 18 (9,249 Views)
Tutor

yep all the "syncs" are turned off. I have his instagram on my phone too, and look at if often, why doesn't it eat my HTC's data? is there a way to change resolution on his iphone, would that help? I'm at a loss, thinking he's going to get an android...I have never had issues like this before. appreciate all the input from everyone....welcome more.
Message 7 of 18 (9,241 Views)
Master

[ Edited ]

Without knowing what content he is watching for how long or how many its hard to say and if his viewing habits are the same even if you switch phones data consumption should be the same if the same amount of content is viewed.

Also look to see if push notifications are turned on I only use push for email.

Also make sure wi-fi is enabled or it will fetch everything via 3G/4G/LTE.

Message 8 of 18 (9,237 Views)
Expert

mafitz wrote:
yep all the "syncs" are turned off. I have his instagram on my phone too, and look at if often, why doesn't it eat my HTC's data? is there a way to change resolution on his iphone, would that help? I'm at a loss, thinking he's going to get an android...I have never had issues like this before. appreciate all the input from everyone....welcome more.

depends - what resolution is the video you are viewing / sending?

Don't have excesive data use on the iphone 5, have some usage that can be tracked to a couple of Apple IOS services that I cannot figure out why they are running because all that junk is turned off on the phone.

There is a free app by Onavo Mobile Ltd that will gather data usage at the app and IOS service level that you might want to look into to determine what is using the data. It is on the Itunes store

Message 9 of 18 (9,188 Views)
Master

Just a thought have you tried double clicking the home button to see how many apps are open and take note of the ones that may be running in the background ,I close each app out when finished except Imessage, mail,safari and camera which I use constantly.

Message 10 of 18 (9,161 Views)
Tutor

Yep, do the double clicking trick. thanks for the thought. Also, thanks wingrider for the app suggestion, will def look into that. We are currently experimenting...my son only texted and called yesterday, and looks like the numbers are way down. Today the instagram is going back on...should be interesting to see those numbers at the end of today. BTW- our limit was exceeded by Saturday a.m. ugh! two days after activating the 5. Thinking either dump the phone, or up the monthly usage.... obviously my son and I or on opposite sides of this thought. ;-}
Message 11 of 18 (9,076 Views)
ACE - Master

Most months I tend to use about 700-900MB data for the full month.  Last month, I used a little ove 2GB, but I know what I was doing that used it (mostly watching Netflix while waiting on my wife).  My normal month is about 800MB cellular data, and 7-8GB wifi data.  Last month I was just over 2GB for each cellular and wifi, so my total usage was a little less than half, but my celluslar usage was a little less than triple as compared to my normals.

I don't know many kids that would be diligent enough to monitor their usage to keep it under 300MB/month.  Most adults I know feel that it is more cost effective of their time to pay for the Data Pro plan since it is only an extra $15/month and gives 10 times the data allocation.  Rather than having to work hard at keeping their usage under the lower limit, then get the higher data plan and just use their phone as much as they need.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 12 of 18 (9,032 Views)
Highlighted
Expert

mafitz wrote:
Yep, do the double clicking trick. thanks for the thought. Also, thanks wingrider for the app suggestion, will def look into that. We are currently experimenting...my son only texted and called yesterday, and looks like the numbers are way down. Today the instagram is going back on...should be interesting to see those numbers at the end of today. BTW- our limit was exceeded by Saturday a.m. ugh! two days after activating the 5. Thinking either dump the phone, or up the monthly usage.... obviously my son and I or on opposite sides of this thought. ;-}

good luck - remember you only have 14 days to return the phone now

Message 13 of 18 (9,002 Views)
Contributor

Same issue.  Upgraded my daughter's phone from Iphone 4S to Iphone 5 and suddenly data use more than doubled.  She had the Iphone 4S for 2 years and only went over by 1GB a few times.  It is now over by 2GB and the billing cycle still has one week left.   AT & T says they have not heard of this before.  Really??????  There are posts all over the place and two magazine articles in Forbes magazine.   Had I been warned of this I would have never purchased an Iphone 5 extending my contract for another year OR if I did I would have went with Verizon who has worked with Apple to develop a fix for this problem unlike AT & T.

Message 14 of 18 (8,623 Views)
Contributor

Same issue.  Upgraded my daughter's phone from iphone 4s to iphone 5 and data use has more than doubled with still a week left in billing cycle.  AT &T refuses to acknowledge problem despite all the write ups on this issue, not to mention 2 articles in Forbes magazine.    IPHONE 5 BUYERS BEWARE!!!!!

Message 15 of 18 (8,617 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.